It's a girl (at least 95% sure)

• Thread starter physics girl phd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Girl
In summary, the couple decided not to worry about their situation since they believed that other people's kids were cute and because of the university layoffs, the lecturer wasn't sure about her job security. They found out they were having a girl and are very excited. They hope to name her Recession when she is born. They think kids names from Hollywood should be something fun and not serious.
physics girl phd
So, we decided to "not worry" about things... since we were thinking other people's little tots were cute. Plus with the university layoffs starting here, I wasn't sure about my job security as an untenured lecturer (note: my husband's job IS secure). Why not "see what happened"?

The day before I took the pregnancy test, I asked my husband... "what do you want more than anything in the world?" His reply... "a little girl." I didn't tell him I was suspicious about things yet. I told him two days later, after the test was positive and I had mulled it over myself a bit.

Our "recession baby" is due August 1, and today we found out that it is probably a girl (via 18-week ultrasound). That's what REALLY got us into this mess... we have my husband's two sons from his first marriage with us, and we were thinking balancing out the family would be good.

I'll have another ultrasound in four more weeks... to confirm this present "95% certainty" AND to get some measurements of parts they saw but couldn't "measure" (they are big into measuring everything including the heart's chamber sizes, etc). While they saw all the parts, it was moving too much for the full set of measurements (it is "active" and healthy for sure... perhaps even more important than being a girl... but "girl" sure is happy news!)

Note: This is also some vengence on me for my time in my mom's womb... I was a Leo girl... and I kicked and moved so much she called me "Thumper" after the rabbit in Disney's "Bambi." I can't tell it's moving yet myself (with a first pregnancy it's not uncommon to not be sensitive to it at this time)... but both ultrasounds so far show it moving a LOT. The first ultrasound looked like a rabid pawing chipmunk (pawing with arms AND legs).

So...
Huzzah! Yippie! A girl!

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow! That's so cool. You are going to have so many interesting stories to tell her about the year of her birth. Congrats!

What WONDERFUL NEWS! CONGRATULATIONS!

But, :biggrin: you know what would be better than a girl?

TWO of them! :rofl:

Tsu said:
TWO of them!

But maybe not eight of them! :devil:

Congratulations!

Great news! Congratulations.

Eight is enough.

Congratulations, that's very exciting news. I am very happy for you.

Congratulations :smile:

I hope you don't plan to name her Recession?

Congratulations. Jimmy is a nice name.

Congratulations and best wishes on the daughter to be!

Congratulations!

Before my sister got a girl (my niece), I wanted a boy. But then my niece is so adorable and bright that a girl or boy would do!. I would trade for my niece... :P

Congratulations! :smile:

I hope nobody around here has to perform nappy changing duties. :uhh:

Congratulations!
So is it physics girl2 phd now?

jimmysnyder said:
Congratulations. Jimmy is a nice name.

lol. Congratulations to the OP.

Are we going to get a vote for the name? That would be fun.

Well, so far we have Recession and Jimmy. Other propositions?

Congratulations.

I think Ephemerides is a pretty name.

You could call her Meri for short. Or Rida. Or Effy.

Strangely, Ephemerides has never made the top 1000 most popular names during the last 100 years.

Congrats! I vote for "Samantha".

Continue to love her, for better or worse. The world needs more cared-for kids. Some day you will look back and realize she was worth it all.

Congrats!

Congratulations! They start kicking enough to feel it around 5 months, then they never stop.

Just for fun: the 33 worst celebrity baby names..

http://www.babble.com/33-Worst-Celebrity-Baby-Names-Cautionary-tales-from-Audio-Science-to-Zuma-Nesta-Rock/index.aspx [Broken]

Here are the first 10

1. Tu Morrow
2. Zuma Nesta Rock
3. Moxie CrimeFighter
4. Pilot Inspektor
5. Kal-El
6. Bogart Che Peyote
7-9. Fifi Trixibell, Peaches and Pixie
10. Audio Science

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:

http://www.babble.com/33-Worst-Celebrity-Baby-Names-Cautionary-tales-from-Audio-Science-to-Zuma-Nesta-Rock/index.aspx [Broken]

Here are the first 10

1. Tu Morrow
2. Zuma Nesta Rock
3. Moxie CrimeFighter
4. Pilot Inspektor
5. Kal-El
6. Bogart Che Peyote
10. Audio Science
\

These are kids names?!:rofl:

Congratulations Physics Girl PhD!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! Kids are the greatest adventure. First you have diapers and that cute toothless smile, then before you know it they're asking to borrow the car, and then one day--Physics Girl PhD II!

Congratulations!

Congratulations! Yesterday my baby was born, but that's only a paper-based essay :smile: Also yesterday a (real) baby of a friend was born, I can't imagine what it would feel like to have your first child (or to be pregnant with it).

Math Is Hard said:

Here are the first 10

1. Tu Morrow
2. Zuma Nesta Rock
3. Moxie CrimeFighter
4. Pilot Inspektor
5. Kal-El
6. Bogart Che Peyote
10. Audio Science
I would imagine that none of the parents has a PhD. :rolleyes:

Any name from Hollywood should be disqualified.

Monique said:
I can't imagine what it would feel like to have your first child (or to be pregnant with it).

I suppose that can be arranged for.

Monique said:
I can't imagine what it would feel like to have your first child (or to be pregnant with it).

It's a weird, wonderful experience...sometimes it feels almost supernatural, other times it just make you feel like a big ol' mammal.

A big, big congratulations, physics girl phd!

Keep us posted on how you're feeling. The first few months are exhausting...it's hard work growing a person.

I have made a list of my fave germanic girly names that begin with K. I couldn't resist. If you're stuck you know who to PM. :wink:

Kurdtina, Kurdtenessa, Kurdtalice and so on?

Borek said:
Kurdtina, Kurdtenessa, Kurdtalice and so on?

Not quite. :tongue:

Congratulations.
Girls. :!) I have three of them. Only one at home now though. :grumpy:

Kurdt said:
I have made a list of my fave germanic girly names that begin with K.
Suppose she prefers Gnome to KDE?

Then she's highly intelligent!Good luck and congratulations!

Congrats!

I've always liked Kestrel as a name, but I'm a bit of a bird of prey geek.

<h2>What does "It's a girl (at least 95% sure)" mean?</h2><p>"It's a girl (at least 95% sure)" is a statement commonly used during prenatal testing to indicate that the fetus is most likely a female. This means that there is a 95% or higher probability that the baby will be born as a girl.</p><h2>What tests are used to determine the sex of a baby?</h2><p>There are several tests that can be used to determine the sex of a baby, including ultrasound, amniocentesis, and chorionic villus sampling. These tests can detect the presence of male or female sex chromosomes in the fetus.</p><h2>Why is there a 95% certainty in the statement "It's a girl (at least 95% sure)"?</h2><p>The 95% certainty is based on the accuracy of the tests used to determine the sex of the baby. While these tests are highly accurate, there is still a small margin of error that accounts for the 5% uncertainty.</p><h2>Can the sex of a baby change after the statement "It's a girl (at least 95% sure)" is made?</h2><p>In rare cases, the sex of a baby can change after the initial determination. This can happen due to genetic mutations or errors in testing. However, the likelihood of this happening is very low.</p><h2>What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the sex of a baby?</h2><p>The accuracy of determining the sex of a baby can be affected by several factors, such as the stage of pregnancy, the quality of the testing equipment, and the expertise of the person performing the test. Additionally, certain genetic conditions or abnormalities may make it more difficult to accurately determine the sex of the baby.</p>

What does "It's a girl (at least 95% sure)" mean?

"It's a girl (at least 95% sure)" is a statement commonly used during prenatal testing to indicate that the fetus is most likely a female. This means that there is a 95% or higher probability that the baby will be born as a girl.

What tests are used to determine the sex of a baby?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the sex of a baby, including ultrasound, amniocentesis, and chorionic villus sampling. These tests can detect the presence of male or female sex chromosomes in the fetus.

Why is there a 95% certainty in the statement "It's a girl (at least 95% sure)"?

The 95% certainty is based on the accuracy of the tests used to determine the sex of the baby. While these tests are highly accurate, there is still a small margin of error that accounts for the 5% uncertainty.

Can the sex of a baby change after the statement "It's a girl (at least 95% sure)" is made?

In rare cases, the sex of a baby can change after the initial determination. This can happen due to genetic mutations or errors in testing. However, the likelihood of this happening is very low.

What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the sex of a baby?

The accuracy of determining the sex of a baby can be affected by several factors, such as the stage of pregnancy, the quality of the testing equipment, and the expertise of the person performing the test. Additionally, certain genetic conditions or abnormalities may make it more difficult to accurately determine the sex of the baby.