Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It's a sad day when

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wanted to try using an isolation transformer for a test and didn't need anything special, so I figured that RadioShack might still stock something that I could use.

When I searched "transformer" at the RS site, I got this.

[​IMG]

:cry::cry::cry: They used to be so handy.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Ehh, my dad had roughly the opposite problem when I told him I wanted one for Christmas 20 years ago.

4. Mar 4, 2008 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What? So you wanted the red one?

5. Mar 4, 2008 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: That's the sort of thing my parents would have done too! My Christmas gifts were more often "sounds like" whatever was actually on my wish list than what I actually requested.

6. Mar 4, 2008 #5
    I was looking for the HP 50G graphing calculator lately (thanks again to you who recommented it) and thanks to some awesome search-engines I got about a hundred results of dozens of different 50g-tubes of some sort of pastes.

7. Mar 4, 2008 #6
    Not long ago, I bought a HDTV and found my trusty rabbit ears were no longer OK (I'm way too cheap to buy cable). So, I went off to RS to buy a proper amplified antenna to put in the attic. I went in and said I wanted an omnidirectional TV antenna (When I'm recording one show and watching another, how would I know where to turn a directional one?). The store manager assured me that all TV antennas were omnidirectional. I said "What about a Yagi?" The guy said he had never heard of a Yagi. :cry: me too

8. Mar 4, 2008 #7
    BTW, you can probably get what you want at
    www.mcmaster.com
    except you pay for UPS.

9. Mar 4, 2008 #8

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wait a minute TVP45 - Yagi was the little alien muppet guy in Star Wars. What does he have to do with ancient Japanese antennas from 1935?

10. Mar 4, 2008 #9

Danger

Gold Member

I think that they used one for the armature to build the puppet on.

11. Mar 4, 2008 #10
    When I wanted to build a coil gun some time ago, I wanted a nice transformer to get some high voltage. All I could find were sites about the new movie, the toys and other merchandise. :(

12. Mar 4, 2008 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I have accounts with Mouser, Digikey, and Allied, but I was hoping for something local. I guess those days are gone. The other day I had to red-label in a part from S Carolina - a stinking DIN 8 connector!

RS is down to a selection of about 4 transistors.

13. Mar 4, 2008 #12
    Did you ahve to give them your phone number when you used their search engine? :rolleyes:

14. Mar 4, 2008 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, I always check for the item as general stock before checking local stock. If I know they carry it, then I call and check the shelf.

Or do you mean for the connector? That was a stock issue. And that was from Alllied, not RS. :rofl:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  15. Mar 4, 2008 #14

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

No, it worked out ok. He asked for a clarification. I think it was something like "what's wrong with the one we have?" He had a nice old electric train set.

16. Mar 4, 2008 #15
    I guess I shoulda been glad he didn't tell me bears don't watch TV.:rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?