1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It's a sad day when

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wanted to try using an isolation transformer for a test and didn't need anything special, so I figured that RadioShack might still stock something that I could use.

When I searched "transformer" at the RS site, I got this.

[​IMG]

:cry::cry::cry: They used to be so handy.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Ehh, my dad had roughly the opposite problem when I told him I wanted one for Christmas 20 years ago.

4. Mar 4, 2008 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What? So you wanted the red one?

5. Mar 4, 2008 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: That's the sort of thing my parents would have done too! My Christmas gifts were more often "sounds like" whatever was actually on my wish list than what I actually requested.

6. Mar 4, 2008 #5
    I was looking for the HP 50G graphing calculator lately (thanks again to you who recommented it) and thanks to some awesome search-engines I got about a hundred results of dozens of different 50g-tubes of some sort of pastes.

7. Mar 4, 2008 #6
    Not long ago, I bought a HDTV and found my trusty rabbit ears were no longer OK (I'm way too cheap to buy cable). So, I went off to RS to buy a proper amplified antenna to put in the attic. I went in and said I wanted an omnidirectional TV antenna (When I'm recording one show and watching another, how would I know where to turn a directional one?). The store manager assured me that all TV antennas were omnidirectional. I said "What about a Yagi?" The guy said he had never heard of a Yagi. :cry: me too

8. Mar 4, 2008 #7
    BTW, you can probably get what you want at
    www.mcmaster.com
    except you pay for UPS.

9. Mar 4, 2008 #8

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wait a minute TVP45 - Yagi was the little alien muppet guy in Star Wars. What does he have to do with ancient Japanese antennas from 1935?

10. Mar 4, 2008 #9

Danger

Gold Member

I think that they used one for the armature to build the puppet on.

11. Mar 4, 2008 #10
    When I wanted to build a coil gun some time ago, I wanted a nice transformer to get some high voltage. All I could find were sites about the new movie, the toys and other merchandise. :(

12. Mar 4, 2008 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I have accounts with Mouser, Digikey, and Allied, but I was hoping for something local. I guess those days are gone. The other day I had to red-label in a part from S Carolina - a stinking DIN 8 connector!

RS is down to a selection of about 4 transistors.

13. Mar 4, 2008 #12
    Did you ahve to give them your phone number when you used their search engine? :rolleyes:

14. Mar 4, 2008 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, I always check for the item as general stock before checking local stock. If I know they carry it, then I call and check the shelf.

Or do you mean for the connector? That was a stock issue. And that was from Alllied, not RS. :rofl:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  15. Mar 4, 2008 #14

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

No, it worked out ok. He asked for a clarification. I think it was something like "what's wrong with the one we have?" He had a nice old electric train set.

16. Mar 4, 2008 #15
    I guess I shoulda been glad he didn't tell me bears don't watch TV.:rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?