Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It's all a lie, it's all so fake

1. Jun 21, 2005 #1
    It's all a lie, it's all so fake....

I was just thinking....there are things about the kids around me that I really despise.
    We all know about all the kids out there who cut themselves, who listen to hard metal, who call themselves "punk, emo, outcasts, goths" etc.
    Well the truth is....it's all a lie!
    These people dress strange and act strange (wearing all black, chains, "punk" bands, Hot Topic, etc) because they say they are "being themselves" Well look around you. You're not! They try so hard to be themselves, but half the world is doing the same thing. They try to run away from the trends, but it's turned into exactly what they were running from in the first place.
    Why should you have to TRY to be yourself? I mean it should come naturally without having to buy a certain kind of clothes. and newsflash people: being yourself doesn't been you have to be totally different then everyone else! why is it so bad that anyone is like you? why? im not saying "go with the trend" or "everyone who shops at Hot Topic and stuff is stupid" im not saying that. it's just that you SAY u r different, but ure just stuck in another trend.

ya know?

Oh. and all those people who go around moaning and groaning and complaing about how their lives are falling down around them, how life betrayed them, how life sucks, this and that....it's not true! life is being served to you on a silver platter. why is it "cool" to act like you hate life??? gosh.
    and people who say, "no one likes me, im an outcast, a loser, blah blah" its so untrue! you AREN'T losers, unless you're TRYING to be one!!

this is true for everyone except for people where it's actually true. who are clinicaly depressed. but sometimes, it escalates so far that you just say you hate life so much it starts to become true. ya know?

and people who are like "i was uncool before being uncool was cool" they are such liars. ugh i can't even explain this one.

and don't get me wrong...i like Hot Topic...i love some of their stuff. Does that make me a poser??? no!!!
    Stop putting down Avril!! I mean, peeps say she is a poser cos of her clothes. What snobs! She was one of the first to start wearing ties over her clothes and stuff, and let's face it, you followed. who are you to call her a poser? who is she posing as? everyone else? so are you. why cant u just sit back and enjoy her music? (unless u dont enjoy it...)

but do you see what i mean?

sorry if I offend anyone, but this is how I've always felt.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL! I always found it amusing that the kids try to be "different" in exactly the same way as all the other kids. :rofl:

Oh, but teenagers have always been mopey, it just comes with the age. It's a phase and it will pass.

4. Jun 21, 2005 #3
    I think you're 100% right on all counts, Totallyclueless. I noticed the very same thing in the 60s. The alleged rebellion against the "establishment" where everyone was supposed to be exploring their individuality was just a new faction of lemmings that had broken off from the main herd all following each other to their doom.

People are more susceptible to peer group pressure than they ever realize. I've met all today's punks, emos, goths, as well as lamers and crustys and they're all the same old thing: people desparate to fit in with some peer group, not people persuing their individuality.

5. Jun 21, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are today's punks like yesterday's punks, or a different breed of punk? I know what goths are, but what the heck are emos, lamers and crustys? I didn't realize there was that much variety out there. Other than the kids wearing all black and heavy make-up, the rest pretty much all just look like slobs to me. The ones who stand out anymore are the few who keep their pants belted at the waist and their shirt tails tucked in.

6. Jun 21, 2005 #5

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"It's all a lie, it's all so fake...."

Isn't that from one of her songs? Who me? Not me, I'm too old to like her music. Peeps and Posers. Hot Topic. Can I just guess? Really, I don't want to bug anyone. I'm saying . . . . . . . .16.

7. Jun 21, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oh, the days where the punks burnt flags and aided the Vietcong and bombed government buildings... the days when kids actually knew what their cause was and why it was...

Now people dont even seem to know what they hate or why... *tear*... i wish i lived in the age of reason....

But no... i live now... and i think im gonna join the "i just wanna be different crowd" by dressing up like ALLLLLLLLLLL my friends!

8. Jun 21, 2005 #7
    emos are "emotionals"
    yea...right....

9. Jun 21, 2005 #8
    oh and i didn't know that was from one of her songs!!!! lol what a coincidence!

10. Jun 21, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought it just referred to a type of music. What "attire" goes with it?

11. Jun 21, 2005 #10
    basically the same as punks and goths...maybe a bit more reserved. at least in my school it is. but they have a diff. attitude....depressed....hate life...etc. but they TRY to be like that. Ugh. I can't stand it!

12. Jun 21, 2005 #11

JamesU

Gold Member

you don't get it. the "non conformists" conform with other "non conformists"

13. Jun 21, 2005 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I've listened to lots of emo. I always asked my daughter why they ruin a perfectly good song with the screaming. She justs looks at me.

She's into indie though.

You forgot ska.

Avril...ties over her clothes..you mean like what was popular in the 80's? :rolleyes:

I know a lot of kids into punk and these kids are freeking brilliant and well adjusted. I just got off the phone with one that placed second in a national film competition, the next Stephen Spielberg. And he's adopting me as his mom. :approve:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  14. Jun 21, 2005 #13
    yea, so they aren't non comformists anymore. o_o

15. Jun 21, 2005 #14

JamesU

Gold Member

that's if you think "non conformist" means what you think it means :wink:

16. Jun 21, 2005 #15

Evo

I know what you are saying, probably 95% or more of the high school kids pretend to understand the music and the meaning, but they're fake. The less than 5% that really understand the music on an intellectual level and are really part of the movement aren't fake. These kids blow me away, their understanding of the music and the history is mind boggling.

17. Jun 21, 2005 #16
    now im so confused....thanks a lot...

18. Jun 21, 2005 #17

Evo

Read my last post, I completely agree with what you said. You sound like me at your age. :approve:

Kids for the most part are sheep needing to fit in with the flock. You are smart enough to recognize them for what they are and aren't dragged into their mindless nonsense.

19. Jun 21, 2005 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I pretty much agree. However, in the case of identity and self expression, many people seem to have a need to rebel against authority - to establish their own authority. I see it as a way for each generation to announce its arrival; sort of like shouting, "we're here and we won't be ignored!" So on one level, its not really a matter of personal identity as much as a group, or generational identity. But in addition to this, each person is also struggling to figure out where and how they fit into the group.

As for attitude, on one hand I can be real hard nose about this sort of thing. I can tell you from first hand experience that people who want to blame everyone else for their problems are, like Zooby said, going nowhere. This is by far the most outstanding trait that I've noticed among the biggest losers that I've known. And the poor me crap makes me want to scream!

But then I look at the suicide rate among teenagers. Biology can be cruel and life often is hard. And, to be blunt, there are a lot of struggling parents out there. Even those who are trying to be the greatest parents may not have the knowledge or skills needed to provide the sort of support, guidance, and discipline that their child needs. So, as has always been true, many kids are left twisting in the wind. When I see extreme dress and make up, or extreme behavior, the first thing that I think is, low self esteem. And, of course, a few people out there were just born scary: A bad seed, mental illness, chemical imbalance, call if what you like, but on the street it translates as bizarre and scary, and there's always a few of those around as well.

20. Jun 21, 2005 #19
    yes, i guess you're right. the suicide rate could also be so high because of real clinical depression, though. and sometimes i think that the reason people get depressed is because its cool to be depressed...

21. Jun 21, 2005 #20
    The thing is that most people never stop trying to belong to a group. The human tribal instinct is very influential.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?