It's all a lie, it's all so fake

• Thread starter totallyclueless
  • Start date
In summary, teenagers have always been mopey, it just comes with the age. It's a phase and it will pass.
You know, parents so desparately want to know what their kids are doing; they love them. But they get nothing, nada, nope, Italian? I digress. How nice to read a first-hand account of so secret a world, a glimpse into an otherwise, "what you doing, "nothing", where you going, "nowhere", who you going to be with, "nobody" world. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Its often hard to weed out the attention seeking teens from the legitimately depressed teens. In my experience, people often seem to overlook that some teens (sterotype-fitting as they may be) do have real problems. There seems to be something of a prejudice against those that mope around depressed, and espescially those that harm themselves. People seem very inclined to just put it down to attention seeking, rather than considering the possibility they may have problems and need some help. I've known a lot of people go down that road, and while group influence and peer pressure may be one factor in the cause, it isn't the only one. Another common response to teen depression seems to be "Oh, they just need to grow up!" well yes, they are teenagers- they won't be as mature as adults, and they are growing up as we speak. This is just the route they've chosen to take.

In terms of clothes and music, I often see the same prejudice. I often hear people say how they are only doing it to follow a trend, etc. It rarely seems to occur to some people that others may actually enjoy gothic-industrial and like fishnet armbands. It may not be to your taste, granted, but if it is to theirs, deal with it.

I've been subjected to many a whine about whiney teenagers (oh the irony) who are all so superficial about their images, and it has often occurred to me that if the images of others can bother a person so much, they are frankly being as superficial as the people that they are accusing of the same.

See, legitimate needs being diluted away! 1 kid is depressed while 100 others are "depressed" about not getting enough sex or because lincoln park told them to be depressed.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Punks are definitely different now a days and there are several types of them, crusties being a derogatory term for a gutter punk. Emo is short for "emotional" and is more or less a variation on Indie and Punk. There are Hipsters which are mostly into the Indie music scene. Ska, sorry to say Evo, is pretty much dead. At least real Ska music is the 3rd/4th wave more or less melded together with punk. There are also Ravers and Gravers(goth ravers) also known as Cybergoths. There are RivetHeads, or just plain Rivets, who are into Industrial music which is more or less gritty aggressive sounding electronic music. Metalheads and Deathrockers. Greasers and Rockabillies. There are also subgenres there called Psychobilly and Gothabilly. Psychobilly is a more punk rock/metal version of rockabilly which apearantly incorperates zombies :confused:. Swing kids. Cyberpunks. Skinheads have become somewhat of a scene too. NeoNazi Skins are into Hardcore (really thrashy punk). Traditional Skins aren't racist just sort of "conservative youth" I guess you could say. Original Skins are anti-racists as well as SHARPs(skin heads against racial prejudice). OG Skins are supposedly originally from Jamaica so they are into Ska (real ska which came out of Jamaica, rock/raggea fusion) and hardcore aswell. "Conservative youth" type punks are sometimes referred to as Skunks, a cross of skin and punk.
There is probably a whole lot more out there too. You can read a bit about various subcultures at that forum I linked and erased not that long ago, the sykoforums. That's it's actual purpose really not just the random spouting of things that wouldn't be appropriate here. :wink:

crust refers to the musical style as much as it does to the look. politics plays a huge part in that scene too.

white power skins mostly listen to oi punk like trad skins. the wp bands usually suck ass musically. as if their message didn't make it bad enough already... hardcore doesn't really have anything to do with neo nazis. there are a few wp-hardcore bands though.

@ matthyaouw: The thing is fishnet stockings were made to be worn on the legs and dog collars were made to be worn by dogs. Like I said the thing that gets to me is that they wear things where they aren't meant to be worn. I never complained about the fact that they like metal and all the sub-genres because that's what I like, but what I was saying is that "some" listen to it even though they don't like it. Note the use of "some". When I said the emo kids piss me off I should have used the word 'some' there too, but I wasn't really paying that much attention. There are people with problems, but none of the people I know have problems. So I should have said that my comments were specifically based upon my own experience with 'some' emo kids.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Punks are definitely different now a days and there are several types of them, crusties being a derogatory term for a gutter punk. Emo is short for "emotional" and is more or less a variation on Indie and Punk. There are Hipsters which are mostly into the Indie music scene. Ska, sorry to say Evo, is pretty much dead. At least real Ska music is the 3rd/4th wave more or less melded together with punk. There are also Ravers and Gravers(goth ravers) also known as Cybergoths. There are RivetHeads, or just plain Rivets, who are into Industrial music which is more or less gritty aggressive sounding electronic music. Metalheads and Deathrockers. Greasers and Rockabillies. There are also subgenres there called Psychobilly and Gothabilly. Psychobilly is a more punk rock/metal version of rockabilly which apearantly incorperates zombies :confused:. Swing kids. Cyberpunks. Skinheads have become somewhat of a scene too. NeoNazi Skins are into Hardcore (really thrashy punk). Traditional Skins aren't racist just sort of "conservative youth" I guess you could say. Original Skins are anti-racists as well as SHARPs(skin heads against racial prejudice). OG Skins are supposedly originally from Jamaica so they are into Ska (real ska which came out of Jamaica, rock/raggea fusion) and hardcore aswell. "Conservative youth" type punks are sometimes referred to as Skunks, a cross of skin and punk.
There is probably a whole lot more out there too. You can read a bit about various subcultures at that forum I linked and erased not that long ago, the sykoforums. That's it's actual purpose really not just the random spouting of things that wouldn't be appropriate here. :wink:

You really treated the skinhead scene with kidgloves there- but it is accurate none the less. Don't forget all the subgenres of Hardcore. You have your old school, new school, straight edge (bands that talk about the virtues of NOT drinking, smoking, having meaningless sex, etc.), emo (you have already touched on that), scremo, thrash, grindcore, crustcore, Oi!-inspired hardcore (think late Agnostic Front), New York Hardcore (NYHC), etc.

I think the original poster doesn't understand the punk rock movement very well. I understand the original poster's disdain for high school cliques, etc. While the punk rock scenes can be filled with the usual teenage excesses of drug use, drinking, etc., they also are a community for a lot of troubled kids to feel good about something in their lives. I won't go into the politics of punk rock, but giving kids an outlet for their aggression, pain, anger, etc., is a good thing. It gives people who don't share mainstream ideals a place to have understanding and feel safe with "outside the box" feelings and ideas.

I sang in a couple of punk rock bands up to coming to graduate school and I met a lot of really great people. It is really a youth subculture, where I met a lot of young kids who were just looking for acceptance. I also met a lot of kids who had really messed up lives and a lot of kids who really messed up their lives.

I think that suburban "mall punks" are a lot different than your "true" punks.

Just my two cents worth.
Cheers.

inha said:
crust refers to the musical style as much as it does to the look. politics plays a huge part in that scene too.

white power skins mostly listen to oi punk like trad skins. the wp bands usually suck ass musically. as if their message didn't make it bad enough already... hardcore doesn't really have anything to do with neo nazis. there are a few wp-hardcore bands though.
I didn't realize that the crusties had their own musical subgenre. Interesting.
I did forget about Oi, true. Most of the Skins I have meet are into hardcore. I'm not in the scene or even the punk scene, though I enjoy punk music, so I'm not that familiar with all the flavors.
Norman said:
You really treated the skinhead scene with kidgloves there...
You mean I wasn't very critical of them as a group? Or I didn't add much detail?
I didn't really feel like making this into something about ideology, even though it kinda is. I figure just calling them skins or NeoNazis is enough to say that they aren't necessarily nice people and saying that some of them aren't racists is enough to show that they aren't all necessarily a**holes.
Norman said:
True.. the rich kids or borgeoisi that are rebelling against mommy and daddy more than anything else. I try not to label people as real/true *something* or not though because then I start to sound like the 133tist jerks that really annoy me more lol. But it's sometimes warranted.

Norman said:

And us academic punks are above all!

I think the difference lies at the point where some "grow out of this childish nonsense" and some stick with it. I'll admit that I'm a bit of an elitist and a puritanist about this. It's just that after having sticked with it because of the great music, great friends and good times people that carry the label for a few years and are all "hardcore fo life nigga" for that time and then just vanish because they've rebelled for long enough and it's time to start a normal life piss me off.

Something I've noticed a loooooooooooot lately is that all these idiots who were gaga over nsync and the backstreet boys and all that kinda ****ty music have migrated over to the "punk" scene wehre now they go nuts over hte newest what, coldplay or something album. And what's even stupider is that i swear these idiots arent actually playing their instrument. They are jumping up and down and almost killing each other with their guitars and the music is playing perfectly! And they can't sing either! Half the crap i see is like, monotone scratchy voices. Seems like the face of music is no longer a good musician and a good voice, but a good technical group.

Mind you, I am just talken about i suppose the 'popular punk scene' that you see on the late night shows and that carson daily idiot.

TheStatutoryApe said:
You mean I wasn't very critical of them as a group? Or I didn't add much detail?
I didn't really feel like making this into something about ideology, even though it kinda is. I figure just calling them skins or NeoNazis is enough to say that they aren't necessarily nice people and saying that some of them aren't racists is enough to show that they aren't all necessarily a**holes.

True.. the rich kids or borgeoisi that are rebelling against mommy and daddy more than anything else. I try not to label people as real/true *something* or not though because then I start to sound like the 133tist jerks that really annoy me more lol. But it's sometimes warranted.

Really both for the skinhead scene. I thought you gave a good, balanced explanation- without going into the politics of the scene which are very complicated.

As for the "real" or "not-real" thing. I use quotes because who to say who is the heart and soul of punk rock and what is real punk, but their are definite differences between pop-punk bands that most people are accustomed to and the other genres. I agree with you, that statement came out a little more high and mighty than I wanted it to.

Anyways, I think this is a funny post. As a guy who has strayed from his true punk rock lifestyle- graduate school and getting married this weekend do not allow me the liberty of not caring about ending up in the clink at the end of the night. Also, I don't really enjoy going to shows anymore. I used to at least tolerate the drunk and drugged out high school kids, the thugs, and the general attitude, but the last couple of years- it is annoying and not worth the effort of cost of admission.

So maybe, according to some people, I have "sold out" or "hung up my boots" but life goes on. I still care about the things I sang about, I just don't use my music to convey my message anymore.

By the way, punk rock was never meant for the mainstream. As one of the gravel voiced, screaming hardcore singers out there- it is all about the message and the aggression- not about sounding pretty. (The musicians will usually tell you it is how tightly they can play the song together- getting that exact timing- that perfect change of cadence) That is why it is not made for TV and the mainstream and as far as I am concerned, doesn't belong there. How can a subculture still be a subculture when it shows up on "late night with conan o'brien"?

TheStatutoryApe said:

I thought that you might be interested in knowing that a copy of this is being used at a conference for education; as an introduction to the upcoming generation. Unfortunately, many people will soon believe that "Evo" is a subculture. :tongue2:

Norman, well said. It's kinda sad to lose artistic passions, I hope that you still express yourself in some manner if not music. Starting a family is definitely a good reason to get out of the rock n roller scene though.

Ivan Seeking said:
I thought that you might be interested in knowing that a copy of this is being used at a conference for education; as an introduction to the upcoming generation. Unfortunately, many people will soon believe that "Evo" is a subculture. :tongue2:
EVO would make a great new subculture. We'll have to try to have her explain what the scene is all about for us.
So what sort of music is indicative of the EVOculture? :biggrin:

TheStatutoryApe said:
EVO would make a great new subculture. We'll have to try to have her explain what the scene is all about for us.
So what sort of music is indicative of the EVOculture? :biggrin:
The haunting and riveting melodies of the nose flute. Need I say more?

seaov24.jpg

http://www.hotpipes.com/sean10.html

No... I really don't think anything more needs to be said at all... :uhh:

hehe.. today's punks jump off from NYU library rooftops :biggrin:

dumbasses.

:grumpy: what's this thread doing back alive?

Evo said:
The haunting and riveting melodies of the nose flute. Need I say more?

seaov24.jpg

http://www.hotpipes.com/sean10.html
at least he won't have to clean spit :uhh: :yuck:

cronxeh said:
hehe.. today's punks jump off from NYU library rooftops :biggrin:

dumbasses.

Sounds like the problems fixing itself.

Pengwuino said:
Sounds like the problems fixing itself.
That would explain why the front man from Bad Religion got a phd in evolutionary biology perhaps. Maybe he sees himself as an agent for evolution. :tongue:

Moonbear said:
A The ones who stand out anymore are the few who keep their pants belted at the waist and their shirt tails tucked in.

And a flat stomach :approve: