1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It's all about moleeeeeees.

1. Mar 24, 2010 #1
    1) Sulphur dichloride oxide, S02Cl2 is hydrolysed (decomposed) by water to sulphuric acid and hydrochloric acid. A sample of S02Cl2 was dissolved in sufficient water to produce 150 cm3 , and of the 25cm3 of the resultant solution required 15cm3 of 0.2 mol/dm3 sodium hydroxide for neutralisation. Calculate the mass of S02Cl2 in the sample.

2) When iodic (V) acid, HIO3 reacts with an aq solution of SO2, H2SO4 and iodine are produced. in an experiment, 0.1g of iodic (v) acid was reacted with excess sulphur dioxide and iodine formed were removed by heating. The sulphuric acid produced requred 28.4cm3 of 0.1mol/dm3 NaOH solution. Determine the equation for the reaction between iodic(V) acid and sulphur dioxide.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2010 #2
    Please show your attempt or tell us which parts of the question you are having problems with.

4. Mar 25, 2010 #3
    Hey fightfish. For question 1 i had solved it already. But now i'm having problem with question 2. I do not know how to start this question. Do you mind teaching me? Thanks!

5. Mar 25, 2010 #4
    Basically the question is asking you to construct the equation of the reaction between the iodic(V) acid and sulfur dioxide based on the empirical (experimental) data.
    From the data in the question, we can obtain:
    i) The no. of moles of iodic(V) acid reacted
    ii) The no. of moles of sulfuric acid produced
    Hint: How is the no. of moles of sulfur dioxide reacted related to the no. of moles of sulfuric acid produced?
    From there, we can obtain the mole ratio of the reactants, thus enabling us the write the equation.

6. Mar 28, 2010 #5
    Thanks! (;

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook