It's almost turkey day (in the US anyway)!

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade after having a nice big breakfast of an omelette, toast and coffee.
My daughter just about split a gut when they "Rick rolled" us during the "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" float.

jtbell
Mentor
And MINT, who puts mint jelly on meat? :surprised:
One of my favorite exchanges from "Asterix in Britain:"

Roman commander: "If you don't find those Gauls, I'll have you boiled alive and served to the lions! With mint sauce!"

Legionary #1 [shuddering]: "How horrible!"

Legionary #2: "Yes, poor creatures." [referring to the lions, of course :wink:]

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I don't like mint on much of anything, actually, so I agree on that one. I had lamb with a mint jelly once, and the mint was so overwhelming that it was like eating toothpaste. I couldn't even taste the lamb.
The mint jelly should compliment the meat (lamb), not overwhelm it. Was that a store bought mint sauce, some of which are much too strong and too sweet. My mom used to make the mint dressing herself, and it was more like a sweet and sour dressing rather than a sweet jelly.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Those should go on a desert plate, along with the cranberry sauce, which for my family is considered a desert. If the squash is savory, not sweet, then it can go on the dinner plate.
Interesting. Are the cranberry and sweet foods eaten after the turkey dinner or in conjunction with the dinner, but with separate mouthfuls?

turbo
Gold Member
Interesting. Are the cranberry and sweet foods eaten after the turkey dinner or in conjunction with the dinner, but with separate mouthfuls?
They're all going to get mixed eventually - why not on the plate? We always have peas with pearl onions, and I mix that with my mashed potatoes and top with gravy.

Actually, gravy goes on about everything on my plate - squash, turnip, carrots....

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The mint jelly should compliment the meat (lamb), not overwhelm it. Was that a store bought mint sauce, some of which are much too strong and too sweet. My mom used to make the mint dressing herself, and it was more like a sweet and sour dressing rather than a sweet jelly.
It was at a restaurant. I didn't know there was going to be mint all over the food or I wouldn't have ordered that. I don't like mint very much as it is, so wasn't likely to like it even if it wasn't overwhelming (it's hard to imagine mint NOT being overwhelming, though). Usually one bite of something with mint is all I can handle. As a kid, I didn't even like candy canes. They were pretty to look at, but one or two licks and I'd had all the mint I could handle.

Danger
Gold Member
Agreed. Mint is disgusting. Not that I like lamb anyhow.
Astro, have you tried applying either Superglue or Elmer's to your nail? I find both to be quite handy for things like that.