It's almost turkey day (in the US anyway)

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
In summary, Thanksgiving is a favorite holiday for many, as it is a time to express thanks and indulge in delicious food. People often spend the day with family and friends, playing games and enjoying each other's company. Some also reflect on what they are thankful for, such as their loved ones and achievements.
Evo said:
Panda Express orange sesame chicken is the food of the gods. Not sweet at all, just tangy. Orange is citrus, so it's ok.

Apples, pears, pineapple, etc... on meat are ABOMINATIONS. And MINT, who puts mint jelly on meat?

And CLOVES. AAARRRGGGHHH! That's tooth medicine!

Not that I have opinions. :tongue2:

In general, I agree...sweet foods don't mix with meat.

I do make one exception: I love mild fish grilled and served with a salsa I make from cilantro, onion, lime, and mango...yum!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's impossible not to have food touch on a Thanksgiving dinner plate! If you can keep all your foods separated, you haven't eaten enough! :biggrin:

I don't like mint on much of anything, actually, so I agree on that one. I had lamb with a mint jelly once, and the mint was so overwhelming that it was like eating toothpaste. I couldn't even taste the lamb.

Evo said:
Apples, pears, pineapple, etc... on meat are ABOMINATIONS. And MINT, who puts mint jelly on meat?
Then I've got a recipe for you.
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/18217/baby+lamb+and+mint+meat+pies" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
And I have to wonder where items like sweet potatos or squash go on a plate with meat, if one does not let sweet items touch the meat.
Those should go on a desert plate, along with the cranberry sauce, which for my family is considered a desert. If the squash is savory, not sweet, then it can go on the dinner plate.

Evo said:
Those should go on a desert plate, along with the cranberry sauce, which for my family is considered a desert. If the squash is savory, not sweet, then it can go on the dinner plate.

That sounds a bit dainty. Big plates are made to hold the meal I'd say. If the plate doesn't hold enough that's what seconds are for. Salad maybe gets a plate so it doesn't get so much in the way.

Moonbear said:
I'm watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade after having a nice big breakfast of an omelette, toast and coffee.
My daughter just about split a gut when they "Rick rolled" us during the "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" float.

Evo said:
And MINT, who puts mint jelly on meat? :

One of my favorite exchanges from "Asterix in Britain:"

Roman commander: "If you don't find those Gauls, I'll have you boiled alive and served to the lions! With mint sauce!"

Legionary #1 [shuddering]: "How horrible!"

Legionary #2: "Yes, poor creatures." [referring to the lions, of course :wink:]

Moonbear said:
I don't like mint on much of anything, actually, so I agree on that one. I had lamb with a mint jelly once, and the mint was so overwhelming that it was like eating toothpaste. I couldn't even taste the lamb.
The mint jelly should compliment the meat (lamb), not overwhelm it. Was that a store bought mint sauce, some of which are much too strong and too sweet. My mom used to make the mint dressing herself, and it was more like a sweet and sour dressing rather than a sweet jelly.

Evo said:
Interesting. Are the cranberry and sweet foods eaten after the turkey dinner or in conjunction with the dinner, but with separate mouthfuls?

Astronuc said:
Interesting. Are the cranberry and sweet foods eaten after the turkey dinner or in conjunction with the dinner, but with separate mouthfuls?
They're all going to get mixed eventually - why not on the plate? We always have peas with pearl onions, and I mix that with my mashed potatoes and top with gravy.

Actually, gravy goes on about everything on my plate - squash, turnip, carrots...

Astronuc said:
The mint jelly should compliment the meat (lamb), not overwhelm it. Was that a store bought mint sauce, some of which are much too strong and too sweet. My mom used to make the mint dressing herself, and it was more like a sweet and sour dressing rather than a sweet jelly.

It was at a restaurant. I didn't know there was going to be mint all over the food or I wouldn't have ordered that. I don't like mint very much as it is, so wasn't likely to like it even if it wasn't overwhelming (it's hard to imagine mint NOT being overwhelming, though). Usually one bite of something with mint is all I can handle. As a kid, I didn't even like candy canes. They were pretty to look at, but one or two licks and I'd had all the mint I could handle.

Agreed. Mint is disgusting. Not that I like lamb anyhow.
Astro, have you tried applying either Superglue or Elmer's to your nail? I find both to be quite handy for things like that.

<h2>1. When is Thanksgiving in the US?</h2><p>Thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November in the United States. This year, it falls on November 25th.</p><h2>2. Why do we celebrate Thanksgiving?</h2><p>Thanksgiving is a national holiday in the US that commemorates the harvest and blessings of the past year. It is also a time for families and friends to gather and give thanks for all that they have.</p><h2>3. What is the significance of turkey on Thanksgiving?</h2><p>Turkey has been a traditional part of Thanksgiving dinner since the 19th century. It is believed that the Pilgrims and Native Americans shared a meal that included turkey during the first Thanksgiving celebration in 1621.</p><h2>4. Are there any other traditional foods served on Thanksgiving?</h2><p>Yes, besides turkey, other traditional foods served on Thanksgiving include mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie. However, different families and regions may have their own unique dishes as well.</p><h2>5. How do people celebrate Thanksgiving?</h2><p>Thanksgiving is typically celebrated with a large family dinner, often including extended family and friends. Some people also participate in parades, watch football games, or volunteer at local charities. It is also common to express gratitude and give thanks during this holiday.</p>

1. When is Thanksgiving in the US?

Thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November in the United States. This year, it falls on November 25th.

2. Why do we celebrate Thanksgiving?

Thanksgiving is a national holiday in the US that commemorates the harvest and blessings of the past year. It is also a time for families and friends to gather and give thanks for all that they have.

3. What is the significance of turkey on Thanksgiving?

Turkey has been a traditional part of Thanksgiving dinner since the 19th century. It is believed that the Pilgrims and Native Americans shared a meal that included turkey during the first Thanksgiving celebration in 1621.

4. Are there any other traditional foods served on Thanksgiving?

Yes, besides turkey, other traditional foods served on Thanksgiving include mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie. However, different families and regions may have their own unique dishes as well.

5. How do people celebrate Thanksgiving?

Thanksgiving is typically celebrated with a large family dinner, often including extended family and friends. Some people also participate in parades, watch football games, or volunteer at local charities. It is also common to express gratitude and give thanks during this holiday.