Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It's been fun

1. Sep 17, 2003 #1
    Well that's a disappointment. No religion forum. I did participate in other forums like politics, general discussion, philosophy and feedback, but I think most of my posts were in the religion forum. From the number of posts and threads there it is clear that religion was a very popular topic here. I wonder if that was considered when the decision was made to scrap it. So I am thinking this may be the end for PF and me. If you guys don't hear from me again it's been fun.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2003 #2

megashawn

Science Advisor

4. Sep 20, 2003 #3
    no new topics

I heard the Admin. say in Announcments and Feedback that you can't post new topics in the Archives.

5. Sep 20, 2003 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To be perfectly honest, it was not considered. The goal here is to attract more professional scientists to the board, and it was agreed that the Religion Forum does not have a place at a message board that is dedicated to the sciences.

Why not take part in scientific discussions? That is, after all, what we do best!

6. Sep 20, 2003 #5
    Re: its not completly gone

Mega,
    No new topics can be started. Give it a try and see for yourself.

7. Sep 20, 2003 #6

FZ+

IIRC, philosophical discussions relating to religion can still be allowed, just not specific religions.

8. Sep 21, 2003 #7
    I didn't actually join PF to discuss religion. In fact when I joined I didn't even know there was a religion forum. I was just looking for somewhere to discuss general topics and current affairs with intelligent people. But since I have an interest in religion I ended up posting more there than anywhere else. I think I would like to find somewhere that I can discuss religion the way we did here. I enjoyed the discussions, even those with people who disagreed with what I said. Since I'm not a scientist I'm not particularly interested in scientific discussions.

9. Sep 21, 2003 #8

kat

Re: Re: It's been fun

I seem to remember that the reason given for having a religion forum was that it kept religion off the science forums....Interesting to see the evolution of how physicsforums.com deals with this issue.

10. Sep 23, 2003 #9

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.philosophyforums.com has a Philosophy of Religion Forum, and they've got a great membership.

Honestly, that makes me sad. You don't have to be a scientist to have an interest in science. The only prerequisite for an interest in science is satisfied by every human being: a curiosity about the universe we inhabit.

11. Sep 23, 2003 #10

FZ+

Indeed, I would go so far as to say that we are all scientists, in a way.

12. Sep 23, 2003 #11

megashawn

Science Advisor

ya, if nothing else you can pipe up about something you don't know, get a virtual kick in the butt and learn something. Happens to me all the time.

I'm no science guy, and my lifestyle prevents me from becoming an expert in any field. Still I love to keep up with the breakthroughs, and even the crack potted ideas people have. There is still much to discuss here with or without religion, and honestly, the religion forum was really bogging down.

However I think one would be hard pressed to find quite as interesting a group of people to discuss such matters. Atleast here, it was civilized.

13. Sep 24, 2003 #12
    Since I'm not a scientist wouldn't discussions here on a science forum by real scientists be over my head?

14. Sep 24, 2003 #13

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps, but that is not likely to be a big problem,as most PF members are teenagers, and by default, not "real scientists" yet.

15. Sep 24, 2003 #14

FZ+

In that case... you can try to lengthen your neck to raise your head level, perhaps?

(Figuratively speaking, of course. Don't sue.)

16. Sep 25, 2003 #15
    Due to the overwhelming number of posts begging me to stay I might hang around here for a while longer.

17. Sep 25, 2003 #16

Another God

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

LOL, thats the spirit!

Hey, hang in the other sciences region, thats the easiest to understand I think. (or maybe I'm a little biased)

Besides, don't forget Philosophy still exists. Not only are all humans scientists at heart, but we're all philosophers first! (science being a philosophy of sorts...)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?