Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It's better than sex!

1. Dec 14, 2005 #1
    Okay, it's not better than sex, but it's better than a really good hamburger.
    I listen to audiobooks while I'm at work, Lately I've been listening to The Teaching Company's series. these are lectures from the best professors in the world, each course is a series of 12-24 lectures about 30-45 minutes per lecture. I've learned about biology and physics and classical music, etc. The last one was about Relativity. I've known about Relativity for years, I could tell you what happens if you turn on your headlights while traveling at the speed of light, I could recite the twin paradox, etc. I didn't learn anything new from the series, but for some reason I had "that" moment. I had an epiphany. All of a sudden I not only knew relativity, I KNEW relativity. I love that feeling when all of a sudden I get it. That's why I love learning things. It's such a cool feeling.
    Speaking of learning new things here's something I learned from the biology lecture. You've already heard that female roommates will start menstrating at the same time, but did you know this? Both women do not change their cycle, The dominant one will stay on her same cycle and the roommate will change to match her.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2005 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

wait you lost me there

you do what again?

I actually had to google definition of work:

Pfft this is the oldest trick in any frat book. Both room mates get horny around the same ovulation time :biggrin:

4. Dec 14, 2005 #3
    I write reviews of audiobooks.

of course, but did you know about the "Dominant" part of it? I think that's pretty cool. What's the opposite of dominant in this context? I don't want to say inferior or undominant or lesser.

5. Dec 14, 2005 #4
    Recessive, of course.

Learn genetics next <_<

Anyway, audiobooks are awesome, and learning stuff is awesome.

6. Dec 14, 2005 #5

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

What defines who the dominant female is? Is she already established in the apartment and the other then moves in? What if they both move in simutaneously, do they arm wrestle or something?

Perhaps in this context one would use "submissive":tongue2: :devil: ?

7. Dec 14, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, she's the one whose cycle doesn't change of course. :biggrin:

8. Dec 14, 2005 #7
    That's how I like my logic. circular.

9. Dec 14, 2005 #8
    heh, thats really cool. My mum and i are big fans of audio books. We travel alot and make long drives, and they're really great to listen to then. She listens to weird ones though. I mostly listen to stories. I also once listened to scientology stuff on tape, that was interesting too.

10. Dec 14, 2005 #9
    Where can you buy a large selection of audiobooks, and with what do you play an audiobook?

I'm not familiar with audiobooks.

11. Dec 14, 2005 #10
    you can buy audiobooks at most bookstores, and they usually have a small selection at any store that sells books, (ie walmart.) i usually just get mine from the library. They're usually cassettes, so you play them with a cassette player.

12. Dec 14, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I don't know how to figure out but I'd sure love to be there when they do :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

13. Dec 14, 2005 #12

-Job-

Science Advisor

Maybe there's a woman who can put any roommate into "submission". There should be a championship or something.

14. Dec 14, 2005 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Having lived with other women, I can tell you we never got in sync. Perhaps we were all dominant? :tongue:

15. Dec 14, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I'm the dominant one. I've had roommates who never were in sync with me too, but when I've lived with women who have sync'd with me, I was never the one who changed. Though, I was pretty synchronized to a group of goats once (I was injecting them with hormones to control their cycles, and despite every precaution against it, I must have gotten some exposure to the hormones when giving the injections...I've never been so regular in all my life before or after that...I could predict the timing of menstruation to the hour!).

16. Dec 14, 2005 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ok all this talk about goats and cycles is starting to freak me out.

17. Dec 14, 2005 #16
    according to the professor it is pheromones wreaking the havoc

18. Dec 14, 2005 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'd rather claim to be in sync with goats than some women I've known. :tongue:

19. Dec 14, 2005 #18
    While they're menstruating?!!:bugeye:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?