Bobbie Burns Night: "A Man's a Man for Aa That

• Thread starter selfAdjoint
  • Start date
In summary: Jack, Jim, Crown Royal, Chivas Regal, Makers Mark, and Wild Turkey. I also like the Knob Creek, Booker's, and Basil Hayden (all small batch bourbons made by Jim Beam...Knob Creek is my favorite though they're all good).I don't know much about the range of scotches in the U.S., but I do know that there are some great ones out there. I'm sure there are some specialty shops that carry a wide range, but I couldn't name any off hand. I'm sure someone else could.
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
January the 25th that is. And I have a bit of scotch to sip, but I do not have a Haggis. Ah well, we can remember Burns too with his poetry and song:

Is there for honest poverty
That hings his heid an aa that?
The couard slave we pass him by,
We daur be puir for aa that
For aa that an aa that
The rank is but the guinea-stamp
The man's the gowd for aa that

Whit though on homely fare we dine
Wear hodden gray an aa that
Gie fules their silks and knaves their wine
A man's a man for aa that
For aa that an aa that
Their tinsel show an aa that
The honest man though e'er so puir
Is king o men for aa that

Ye see yon birkie caad a laird
Wha struts an stares and aa that
Though hunders worship at his word
He's but a cuif for aa that
For aa that an aa that
His riband star an aa that
The man o independent mind
He looks an lauchs at aa that

A prince can make a beltit knight
A marquis, duke an aa that
But an honest man' abune his might
Guid faith, he maunna faa that
For aa that an aa that
Their dignities an aa that
The pith o sense an pride o worth
Are higher rank than aa that

Then lat us pray that come it may
As come it will for aa that
That sense an worth ower aa the earth
Sall bear the gree an aa that
For aa that an aa that
It's comin yet for aa that
That man tae man the hale warl ower
Sall brither be for aa that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a bit of scotch, huh? I'm sure I hear a definite slur in your singing already. Okay, pass the bottle. Oh, wait, I still have to drive home. Give me 20 minutes...oh, wait, you'll have finished the bottle by then. Hmm...guess I'll have to pick up my own bottle on the way home. I forgot, I don't like scotch, and the thought of Haggis scares me (sounds like a Fear Factor meal). Oh, I know, I'll have some shortbread, that's good and Scottish. :biggrin:

Now, who is Robbie Burns?

Burns is the Scottish poet who wrote Auld Lang Syne. There's another one I know, but can't seem to recall... :grumpy:

Gokul43201 said:
Burns is the Scottish poet who wrote Auld Lang Syne. There's another one I know, but can't seem to recall... :grumpy:

Oh! Hmm...that's the one that goes, "When old acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind, la la la la la la la la lala lala la la la, and that's the Auld Lang Syne!" It starts making more sense after a bottle or two of scotch, right? :rofl:

Damn, I forgot Burns night :(
I guess I'll have to pick up some haggis next week & celebrate late. Luckily I still have a little drop of Bowmore left over from Christmas.

Here's a recipe for Haggis:

from Michael Prothro said:
mprothro@nwark.com[/email]] 1 sheep's stomach bag plus the pluck (lights, liver and heart)
1 lb Lean mutton
6 oz Fine oatmeal
8 oz Shredded suet
2 large Onions, chopped
Salt and pepper about 1/4 pint beef stock. Soak the stomach bag in salted water overnight. Place the pluck (lights, liver and heart) in a saucepan with the windpipe hanging over the edge. Cover with water and boil for 1 1/2 hours. Impurities will pass out through the windpipe and it is advisable to place a basin under it to catch any drips. Drain well and cool. Remove the windpipe and any gristle or skin. Mince the liver and heart with the mutton. (Add some of the lights before mincing if you wish.) Toast the oatmeal gently until pale golden brown and crisp. Combine with minced mixture, suet and onion. Season well and add sufficient stock to moisten well. Pack into the stomach bag, filling it just over half-full as the stuffing will swell during cooking. Sew up the bag tightly or secure each end with string. Put an upturned plate in the base of a saucepan of boiling water, stand the haggis on this and bring back to the boil. Prick the haggis all over with a large needle to avoid bursting and boil steadily for 3 to 4 hours. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
(Found at smartnet, via google)

"Lights" in the above means lungs. USDA won't let sheep lungs be sold for human consumption. Grinches!

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
There's another one I know, but can't seem to recall...

:confused: Isn't that the definition of NOT knowing?

matthyaouw said:
Damn, I forgot Burns night :(
I guess I'll have to pick up some haggis next week & celebrate late. Luckily I still have a little drop of Bowmore left over from Christmas.

Bowmore's pretty fine. I am currently on Speybourne; it' s cheap and very tasty (if you are a single malt fan. Like haggis that's an acquired taste! :yuck: )

Agreed, Bowmore is lovely. I'm a real fan of the Islay malts (Bowmore, Laphroaig, Lagavullin, Caol Iila (sp?) Bunnahabhain (sp? again. My Gaelic isn't too great) to name a few). I may have to try some Speybourne at some point. Its a shame that the pubs and clubs I visit stock only the generic brands, as I could really do to sample a few more. Tell me, what sort of range of whiskies do you get in the States? I'd imagine you have more of the Tennesee & Kentucky ones than I am able to get here (England). What sort of range of scotches do you have?

This is America, we have everything currently available on Earth. jk, Actually, in bars you don't get a huge selection. I'm not much of a drinker, but from what I can see selection depends on the tastes of the bar owner. If he's a scotch drinker there will be a big selection of scotch, but I don't see that often. For the most part I see a lot of blended scotches and very very few single malts. My experience with single malts comes from a sampler pack with a dozen mini bottles I got as a gift. Amazing how different scotch can be from brand to brand.

tribdog said:
:confused: Isn't that the definition of NOT knowing?

Close enough.

I do vaguely remember something about a 'friend' and a strongly religious context, but nothing more. I tried a Google search just after posting and found two poems involving a 'friend', but it was neither of them. Later I found he'd written several poems about 'friends', so I gave up.

matthyaouw said:
Agreed, Bowmore is lovely. I'm a real fan of the Islay malts (Bowmore, Laphroaig, Lagavullin, Caol Iila (sp?) Bunnahabhain (sp? again. My Gaelic isn't too great) to name a few). I may have to try some Speybourne at some point. Its a shame that the pubs and clubs I visit stock only the generic brands, as I could really do to sample a few more. Tell me, what sort of range of whiskies do you get in the States? I'd imagine you have more of the Tennesee & Kentucky ones than I am able to get here (England). What sort of range of scotches do you have?

Laphroaig and Lagavullin are great. Bunnahabhain, Caol Ila are right.
Check out ( http://www.islaywhiskysociety.com/ ).

I also enjoy McCallan 18-25 years.

But my favorite is https://www.glenmorangie.com/landing/glenmorangie.php from the shores of Dornoch Firth.

One can get any variety of Whisky from around the world. Unfortunately Glenlivet (:yuck:) and Glenfiddich (:yuck:) are all too common.

I occassionally drink Johnny Walker Black, which is OK as blends go. While in Japan and flying back on Northwest Airlines, I had Suntory Black, which was very good. The poor guys in Japan had a hard time with me. They served the Whisky diluted and on ice (which is customary). I returned it and asked for straight, no ice. I got it back without the ice, but still diluted. Finally, on the second time, I got a glass of straight unadulterated Whisky. They were amazed that anyone would drink it straight.

As for the Tennessee or Kentucky whiskies, you are probably referring to bourbons. I can't say much there, other than I don't really like bourbon.

I much prefer single malt scotch and Hebridean whisky liqueurs (http://www.hebridean.net/ ).

=====================================================
As for Robert Burns - try

]Selected Poetry of Robert Burns (1759-1796)[/url]

http://www.burnshowffclub.org/ - That's howff club.

http://www.electricscotland.com/burns/ - commercial stuff of a Scottish nature

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
I also enjoy McCallan 18-25 years.

I think once saw a McCallan (25 yrs) in a rather nice but somewhat overpriced country pub. £8.50 a glass... It damn well better be good ;)

Astronuc said:
They served the Whisky diluted and on ice (which is customary). I returned it and asked for straight, no ice. I got it back without the ice, but still diluted. Finally, on the second time, I got a glass of straight unadulterated Whisky. They were amazed that anyone would drink it straight.

Actually, slightly diluted whisky can be quite nice. The water in the Scottish highlands is quite destinctive in flavour (and colour...) and can compliment a whisky quite well. It takes the edge off it a little, and can bring out some of the more delicate flavours and aromas. I've tried it with good old transparent English water, but sadly it is not quite the same.

Whisky fact: Whisky only 'ages' while in its original cask. It matures with its contact with the wood of the cask, and as it gradually evapourates from the sealed cask. The portion which evoaporates is known as the 'angel's share'. The longer it remains in its cask, the larger the angel's share, which is one reason an old whisky costs so much. Next time you meet someone who boasts that they have kept a bottle of scotch in the cupboard for 40 years to improve its quality, you can tell them why they are wasting their time. :biggrin:

I think once saw a McCallan (25 yrs) in a rather nice but somewhat overpriced country pub. £8.50 a glass... It damn well better be good ;)
Yeah, McCallan is d@*# good, and that glass is overpriced! The prices are even worse in Tokyo.

Like anything, it is an acquired taste. Try Glenmorangie.

Some years are better than others. A serious connoisseur should do a taste test at distributor, or go to the particular distillery, and do a taste test there.

I like Islay whiskies too. I remember Laphroaiag when it was new in the US, before the price went up. What do all you think about Oban?

Oban was one of the ones I remember, actually the only one I remember in my variety pack. Now if I could only remember what it tasted like. Was it the one with the peat taste or the salty seaweed taste or the burnt taste?

Astronuc said:
The prices are even worse in Tokyo.

Speaking of Japan...

I drank a lot of shochu (the Japanese version of scotch - distilled from barley and rice and sometimes, sweet potato or chestnut) this holiday season. I found it quite interesting. Very smooth, and does not require warming up ! :approve:

Astro, have you tried any, or are you a purist, like SA and Matt ?

tribdog said:
Oban was one of the ones I remember, actually the only one I remember in my variety pack. Now if I could only remember what it tasted like. Was it the one with the peat taste or the salty seaweed taste or the burnt taste?

I would say peat - smoky. It's not an Islay, nor yet a Speymouth, but a Highland malt. But I find most of them, including literary fave Glenlivet, to be nearly tasteless. All bite and no caress, if you know what I mean.

selfAdjoint said:
I would say peat - smoky. It's not an Islay, nor yet a Speymouth, but a Highland malt. But I find most of them, including literary fave Glenlivet, to be nearly tasteless. All bite and no caress, if you know what I mean.

Ooh, you're such a smooth talker when you get a little scotch in you! :!)
:biggrin:

Unfortunately, I had a bad experience involving tequila and cheap whiskey that has given me one heck of a conditioned taste aversion. Even a whiff of scotch or bourbon (literally, just the smell of it) induces nausea. Let this be a warning, never ever drink cheap alcohol! I ruined my taste buds before ever giving the good stuff a chance. :frown:

I tried one of those stupid birthday stunts when I turned 18. 18shots of tequila in about 30 minutes. I remember eating cake, standing up and that's about it. I guess I passed out, threw up all over, was driven home and carried to my bed, parents woke up and carried me to bathroom. It took about 15 years til I could drink tequila without getting sick.

I finally had my somewhat belated haggis last night. Its a shame I had no whisky to accompany it. Perhaps I shall have to track some down tonight.
I'm spending two weeks in the highlands again this summer. What an excuse to drink more whisky than can be considered healthy! :biggrin:

Gokul43201 said:
Astro, have you tried any, or are you a purist, like SA and Matt ?
I'll try anything once (kind of like Tribdog :biggrin: ).

I don't particularly care for Bourbon. I don't particularly care for Vodka, Rum or Tequila.

I much prefer single malt Scotch or particular blends. Hebridean Whisky Liqueur is also excellent - very smooth - carresses the palate. :wink:

I also like Tsuicas (Romania), Rakiyas (Bulgaria) and Pacharans (N. Spain).

(BTW - never mix Vodka and Root Beer :yuck: ) Did that only once. I was worse than the Screwdriver made with orange Tang. :yuck: But then I was 16 and didn't know any better.

selfAdjoint said:
But I find most of them, including literary fave Glenlivet, to be nearly tasteless. All bite and no caress, if you know what I mean.
Yeah - Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are way over-rated, and nearly tastless. I know what you mean. :wink:

Next time you're passing through the Scottish highlands, take a trip round the Oban distillery, 'tis an education!

SelfAdjoint, - what the HELL are you on about with that recipe? To make haggis, you just go out into the highlands and catch one, take it home, and cook it!

brewnog said:
SelfAdjoint, - what the HELL are you on about with that recipe? To make haggis, you just go out into the highlands and catch one, take it home, and cook it!
Yep, wild haggis is much better than domesticated haggis. :tongue2:

Evo said:

Since haggis in one dialect is plural for hag, i.e. witch, I don't doubt you're right :uhh: . A nice notion for Imbolc (see the groundhog thread).

Evo said:

We only have the wild sort over here, never actually seen a domesticated one.

Do they have the two-legs-shorter-than-the-other-two thing going on as well, or was that bred out so that they could live on level farms?

Astronuc said:
I'll try anything once (kind of like Tribdog :biggrin: ).
Are you saying you want to "try" me? or that you kind of like me? Either way, I think you should know that I'm not easy and you'll have to shave that beard if you want a kiss.

tribdog said:
Are you saying you want to "try" me? or that you kind of like me? Either way, I think you should know that I'm not easy and you'll have to shave that beard if you want a kiss.

He's lying.

he is easy and you only need to trim.

that was funny, you must have slept

selfAdjoint said:
Since haggis in one dialect is plural for hag, i.e. witch, I don't doubt you're right :uhh: . A nice notion for Imbolc (see the groundhog thread).

I guess only in the Highlands could they create such confusion about whether they're going out to catch a woman or a sheep, and it doesn't faze anyone. :rolleyes:

tribdog said:
that was funny, you must have slept

yeah, right through class, and an hour of my alarm clock ringing, unfortunately. I was surprised no one came by banging on my door, cause that thing is LOUD.

Moonbear said:
I guess only in the Highlands could they create such confusion about whether they're going out to catch a woman or a sheep, and it doesn't faze anyone. :rolleyes:

You've never visited Wales have you?

(awaiting the flames...)

What is Bobbie Burns Night?

Bobbie Burns Night is an annual celebration of the life and works of Scottish poet Robert Burns. It is typically held on January 25th, the poet's birthday, and is observed by people of Scottish descent all over the world.

What is the significance of "A Man's a Man for Aa That" in Bobbie Burns Night?

"A Man's a Man for Aa That" is a famous poem written by Robert Burns that celebrates the equality and worth of all people, regardless of their social status. It is often recited or sung during Bobbie Burns Night as a reminder of the poet's message of inclusivity and social justice.

How is Bobbie Burns Night typically celebrated?

Bobbie Burns Night is typically celebrated with a traditional Scottish meal, which includes haggis (a savory pudding made with sheep's heart, liver, and lungs), neeps and tatties (mashed turnips and potatoes), and other Scottish dishes. There are also often readings of Burns' poems, speeches about his life and legacy, and performances of traditional Scottish music and dance.

Why is Bobbie Burns Night important to Scottish culture?

Bobbie Burns Night is important to Scottish culture because it celebrates the country's national poet and his contributions to literature and Scottish identity. It also serves as a way to preserve and pass down Scottish traditions, language, and values to future generations.

Are non-Scottish people allowed to participate in Bobbie Burns Night?

Yes, absolutely! Bobbie Burns Night is a celebration for anyone who appreciates the works of Robert Burns and Scottish culture. It is a great opportunity to learn more about Scottish heritage and join in the festivities with friends and family, regardless of one's nationality.

Back