Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It's Friday The 13th

1. May 13, 2005 #1
    Do you, despite your intelligence, education, and scientific bent, have any superstitious beliefs or habits?

I'm not sure if this would be considered a superstition or OCD, but whenever I am mailing anything I am compelled to take it directly to the Post Office. I don't leave it for the mail man, and do not trust mailboxes.

Do you have a lucky shirt? Something unlucky you avoid?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2005 #2
    Okay, I just took a final today, and it went rather well, but I did not need to know that today is Friday May 13.
  4. May 13, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just some good luck voodoo charms in the lab. :biggrin: But that's more of a joke. We've also added a piggy bank...when you screw up something, you get to put some coins in the piggy bank. When it's full, we'll have a party.

As for trusting the mail, I guess it depends on where you live and what sort of mailbox you have. Taking bills and checks out of the mail is one way crooks steal identities, so it might not be such a bad idea to make sure anything with account numbers on it goes straight to the post office. I don't have a problem trusting the mail carrier, so I just put my mail out close to the time I know he comes around, or drop it in a mailbox. Yeah, I often just drop it in the one outside the post office since I pass it in the one direction I can drive to work.

I didn't even notice today is the 13th until someone sent me an email entitled Friday the 13th. Maybe that's why the cells I grew up overnight got carried away on me (they seem like such happy cells, and I don't want them to be quite that happy, the colonies all grew together!) Uh, yeah, or maybe that means I plated too much of the culture. :redface: I think that gets a quarter to the piggy bank.
  5. May 13, 2005 #4
    Nay, i'm irish, good luck flows!!
  6. May 13, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Have a brownie.
  7. May 13, 2005 #6
    Thanks a lot :mad:

Right when I read this thread, my printer stopped in the middle of printing something extremely important :cry: And nothing is telling me what's wrong with the printer........

It's all your fault!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

J/K :rolleyes:

Boo-hoo :cry:

I.T. came from the sky!!
  8. May 13, 2005 #7
    I was born on a Friday 13th.

I don't believe in any type of luck or superstitions.
  9. May 13, 2005 #8

i spent the whole morning doing more linear algebra stuff, that i still don't get, and sucked and ugh... and then i found out that i failed physics UGH! i'm sooooo screwed... i though my grades would be low, but alright this semseter, i'm afriad they'll be quite worse than i imagined.... i'm soooo nauseus right now... god i hate myself... stupid friday the 13th... if it was the 14th or something... ya... things'd've been different i'm sure...
    the only thing worse is that my mum's picking bringing me home from school... and it's not gonna be pleasant explaining this to her... i'm sure the whole weekend will be spent with various people yelling at me, and dragging me around to find a job... (there's no way i'm gonna get a stress free summer now.. augh)
  10. May 13, 2005 #9
    The only thing Friday the 13th means is that there will probably be a horror movie marathon.
  11. May 13, 2005 #10

Gold Member

Yes! I've got something to do! (I love horror movies)
  12. May 13, 2005 #11

Science Advisor

I didn't know it was the 13th until I saw this thread, but it would sure explain the string of good luck I've been having today. Everybody else's luck has to go somewhere doesn't it?
  13. May 13, 2005 #12
    There are two Fridays a year that fall on the 13th, aren't there? I guess that's so everyone in the world doesn't have a bad day all at once.
  14. May 13, 2005 #13

Staff: Mentor

I knock on wood.
  15. May 13, 2005 #14

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes, I agree, it's one of Bowie's classics.
  16. May 13, 2005 #15
  17. May 13, 2005 #16

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

There also exists a long word which means:
    "Pathological need to coin long, incomprehensible Graeco-Latin words"

Unfortunately, I've forgotten that particular word..
  18. May 13, 2005 #17
    I so wish I had used this as the thread title.
  19. May 13, 2005 #18
    There's no such word. However, I feel the pathological need to coin one:

20. May 13, 2005 #19
    Hellenologophobia- Fear of Greek terms or complex scientific terminology.

Ahhhh, help me!!!!
    I'm afraid of any word with 13 or more letters.
  21. May 13, 2005 #20
    I am here on a cold 14th, I don't know if Australia has turned back the clock for 12 hours late or not, I hope not anyway...
    I truly love nature and many more...
    Last edited: May 13, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?