Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Its funny how everything works so symmetricly

1. Feb 7, 2005 #1
    New mini-disc ~ blue laser drive ~ Stores =<1gig

Hello again. My name is Kev.I'm 16. I've had a few thoughts about some things.

Paticular, a mini CD disc that can hold ALOT (gigs I believe?) of information , and is smaller than a CD!
    The driver uses a blue laser instead of the regular low powered infared red laser. Apparently this higher powered laser transmits data more effiently, thus storing more memory.

I also wanted to point something out.
    First, let's look at some forces of nature:
    Magnetism - Every body that has mass, has magnetism. The earths core is comprised of materials that are magnetic. Our earth has a pole, a magnetic field. Compasses point north.
    Eletromagnetic radiation - Electromagnetic radiation. Also known as light. Light is a form of energy, comprised of particles known as photons.
    Eletricity - Our brain is a computer. It stores information. Retrival of this information is not well known yet; however, I believe eletricity holds the answer. You see, our brains use synaps to connect, and eletrical impulses travel though our body all the time. If it wasn't for these eletrical impulses, we wouldn't feel pain - among alot of other negative consequences.

Time - Without time, there would be nothing (or would there .. hmm). Everything takes time. The spacetime continum states that as you travel though space, you take away from time. I.e as I walk from here to my grocery store, (travelling though space) it takes a certain amount of time.

My point is.. The world we live in is beautiful, and a big aspect of it is to be able to fully appreciate it. Though matematics and science, travelling though book after book, lecture after lecture, we learn and reconnect memories, and we thrive to control this mass of learning potential in which we all yield.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The smaller-wavelength laser is capable of discerning smaller details on the disc surface, and thus is able to cram more information per unit surface area.
    This is false. Neutrons have mass, but no charge. The neutron is just one of many such particles.

- Warren
  4. Feb 8, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

Actually neutrons are composed of charged quarks, so they do have a magnetic moment. I don't see what this has to do with symmetry though.
  5. Feb 8, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I don't know that he means symmetry in the same way physicists mean it. He just seems to be appreciating the beauty in the world, and it is well known that humans associate beauty with symmetry. That's mostly geometric symmetry, if I recall correctly, but I'm sure it can extend to other types. There are certainly plenty of scientists that view their own theories with awe and see a good deal of beauty in them. I tend to lean with Darwin when he states that there is great wonder in the evolutionary view of the biological world. Physics is a mixed bag; some of it is elegant, some of it is just downright odd.
  6. Feb 8, 2005 #5
    There is probably more to that symmetry than you expect -
    Theory of Reciprocity
    Brain candy. Chew slowly. Enjoy.

Good observation, but things are less complicated than the conventional wisdom would lead you to believe.
  7. Feb 9, 2005 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Thor, I don't believe the equations at those links, because the letters denoting variables don't have well defined numeric referents. How do you differentiate a concept? And I distrust any theory that is presented to me with fake equations.
  8. Feb 10, 2005 #7
    Differentiating a concept is confusing; because sometimes its opt to opinion. I'm not sure what he is referring the "null set" as.
  9. Feb 10, 2005 #8
    Thanks for the explaination. I didn't know exactly *why* it worked, and this clears it up for me. Neutrons have no charge, their charge is neutral, thats correct. But I didn't take that into consideration as well.. I'm learning, at least.
  10. Feb 11, 2005 #9
    I think you are anthropomorphizing...
  11. Feb 12, 2005 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Transmission of nerve impulses across the synapse is through chemical means by neurotransmitters. Check it out on the web. The process is very interesting.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?