1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Its giving me problems.

1. Oct 14, 2005 #1
    I have to find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by the graphs of the equations about the indicated lines.

[tex] y=2x^2 , y=0 , x=2 [/tex] It then wants me to figure out:

(a) the y-axis (b) the x-axis
    (c) the line y=8 (d) the line x=2

In order to get the intersection points I need to equate the equations given to me. The problem is I really dont know how to equate the [tex] x=2 [/tex]
    thats holding me to finish this problem. Please I need some advice.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

You mean you're only having trouble with question d? It's not really clear to me where you're stuck. What have you done so far?
  4. Oct 14, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not clear what the question is asking. You have a surface area on the XY plane bounded by two straight lines and a hyperbola. What does it revolving around to generate a solid?
  5. Oct 14, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You appear to be asking about the points of intersection of those three boundaries, but surely that's easy (If you are taking calculus).

The curves y= 2x2, y= 0 intersect at y= 0= 2x2 or x= 0, y= 0.
    The curves y= 0, x= 2 intersect at (2,0), of course.
    The curves y= 2x2, x= 2 intersect at (2, 2(2)2)= (2,8).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?