Is it ever too hot in New Orleans?

• Thread starter Quantum_Grid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, the speakers discuss the weather in their respective locations. One person is experiencing hot and humid weather in New Orleans while others are dealing with cold temperatures. Someone offers to send snow to the person in New Orleans and another enjoys the good weather while it lasts before a temperature drop in their area.
Quantum_Grid
Man, its the middle of january, and I STILL can't turn my A/C off! It's so hot and muggy, I almost miss the cold. I guess that's New Orleans fer ya'

Anyone else from the big easy?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you'll pay for the shipping, I'll donate heavy-equipment time to send you as much snow as you want. Just send the trucks.

lol, its on the way, buddy!

Very cold here.

NO! the thought of AC... I'm freezing right now and it's snowing outside :(

It was a beautiful day here, I went to the coffee shop down the street and did my calculus homework outside!

Its going to fall down to around 15F this week around here. Enjoy the good weather if you got it. I personally like the cold, but 15F is pushing it!

1. Why does it feel so hot outside?

The Earth's atmosphere naturally traps in heat from the sun, creating an environment with a range of temperatures. When the Earth's surface absorbs sunlight, it heats up and releases this heat back into the atmosphere. This is known as the greenhouse effect and is what makes it feel hot outside.

2. How do scientists measure temperature?

Scientists use a device called a thermometer to measure temperature. A thermometer typically contains a liquid, such as mercury, that expands or contracts based on the temperature. The expansion or contraction is then measured and converted into a temperature reading.

3. Why are some areas hotter than others?

Some areas may be hotter than others due to a variety of factors, including differences in latitude, altitude, and proximity to large bodies of water. Additionally, urban areas tend to be hotter than rural areas due to the heat-absorbing properties of pavement and buildings.

4. How does humidity affect the perception of heat?

Humidity is the amount of water vapor in the air. When humidity is high, it can make the air feel warmer because our bodies have a harder time cooling down through sweat evaporation. This is why high humidity days often feel more uncomfortable than low humidity days with the same temperature.

5. What are some potential consequences of extreme heat?

Extreme heat can have serious consequences on both human health and the environment. It can lead to heat stroke, dehydration, and other heat-related illnesses. It can also cause droughts, wildfires, and harm to crops and other plants. As the Earth's temperature continues to rise, extreme heat events are becoming more frequent and severe.