Can wrist braces help with insomnia?

• Thread starter franznietzsche
  • Start date
In summary: I don't remember what the hearing was about.It was about a zoning change for my neighbor's house. I don't live near them, so it didn't affect me. But I do live near a school, so it might affect future students.In summary, these people are experts on sleep and insomnia. They share their experiences and opinions on the matter.

Do you have Insomnia?

• Yes, now tell me more about this sleep you speak of...

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • Zzzz.....

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
franznietzsche said:
But my scores were low in the good circles. Soyou gettingVery High there makes me more evil.
there are no 'good' circles in hell, just less evil ones, therefor my having high in the 'eviller' circles as well as high in the 'not quite so evil' circles totals my evil to more than yours.

Physics news on Phys.org
Smurf said:
there are no 'good' circles in hell, just less evil ones, therefor my having high in the 'eviller' circles as well as high in the 'not quite so evil' circles totals my evil to more than yours.

No, Limbo - the virtuous non believers is for good people, and purgatory is for people with good families who pay the catholic church to let them stay there.

Thats less total evil.

I get so tired of not being able to sleep.

BoulderHead said:
I get so tired of not being able to sleep.

What is sleep?

I've heard about this pretty loose girl in my department who everyone says is "sleeping around"...so I thinks it's got something to do with you-know-what.

Gokul43201 said:
I've heard about this pretty loose girl in my department who everyone says is "sleeping around"...so I thinks it's got something to do with you-know-what.

I don't suppose she could show me how its done?

To be at my best, I need 10 hours of sleep a night. It's been almost three years since I've had a good night''s sleep. :cry:

I never could do it that long.

franznietzsche said:
I don't suppose she could show me how its done?

Okay...here's one for the words of wisdom thread : Don't ever walk up to someone and ask, "Are you the girl that sleeps around ?"

Sorry franz...no luck on that one.

Gokul43201 said:
Okay...here's one for the words of wisdom thread : Don't ever walk up to someone and ask, "Are you the girl that sleeps around ?"

Yes, especially if that someone is a big, tough guy.

Evo said:
To be at my best, I need 10 hours of sleep a night. It's been almost three years since I've had a good night''s sleep. :cry:

Nyquil isn't just for breakfast anymore...

honestrosewater said:
Nyquil isn't just for breakfast anymore...
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Unfortunately I wake up about every 45 minutes, but usually manage to go back to sleep, so I never get quality sleep. :frown:

I'm actually officially suffering from chronic sleep deprivation. My doctor has prescribed sleeping pills, but I hate taking medication.

Ambien has to be the worst, it only last 3 hours and if you don't fall asleep immediately, it causes some very bizarre halucinations. I've talked to others that have taken it and they've all experienced the same thing, I'm surprised it hasn't become as popular as quaalude.

That must be awful. Have you ever tried melatonin?

honestrosewater said:
No, I haven't.

My problem is that my hands fall asleep and that painful sensation wakes me up. I've had all kinds of tests done and apparently I am the healthiest person on the face of the earth. My doctor has no explanation for what causes my hands to fall asleep, he thinks it's small veins and if I bend my wrists in my sleep, the blood circulation is cut off. So he prescribes sleeping pills in the hope that I will be too drugged to wake up, but I wake up anyway. :frown:

His other suggestion was to tie my hands/arms to boards so I couldn't bend them in my sleep. The problem is, I can't sleep with boards tied to my hands and if I could, I'd probably hit myself in the head in my sleep and cause even worse problems.

I only take something if I have an important meeting in the morning and need more than 45 minutes of sleep. Needless to say, I go through most days in a daze. :rolleyes:

honestrosewater said:

Yeah, maybe that would work for you Evo. I tried it once, it didn't help me fall asleep any sooner (my clock is too far off for a little melatonin pill to reset), but when I did fall asleep, I found I slept much more soundly...didn't wake up as many times at night. I think all the tablets over-the-counter (in the vitamin section) are the same dosage (I think 10 mg, but I'd have to check on that). Just take one about a half hour before you want to go to sleep.

I took melatonin for a while when I was 12 (10 years ago), but I didn't take it regularly so I can't testify to its effectiveness. I have been reading over some studies and articles, and they are all positive. BTW melatonin is produced by your body; I know that is one of the first questions I ask when considering medication.

Your case does present a problem since anything you use to stabilize your hands may itself cut off the circulation :rolleyes:
Hmm...

Gokul43201 said:

One of my friends and I used to have this ongoing joke...we had a theory...yeah, one of those kinds of theories:

Conservation of Sleep
There's only a finite quantity of sleep in the world. If somebody starts to sleep too much and takes more than their fair share, someone else must be deprived of sleep.

I figure I'm not getting any sleep for a while since he and his wife and baby (who already steals WAY more than his fair share of sleep, but babies are allowed to do that since their parents normally don't get to use any of that sleep) are all on vacation now, sleeping in every day, stealing all of our sleep apparently! :grumpy: I'm going to have to have a LONG talk with them when they return. They can't ALL get sleep at the same time.

Evo said:
No, I haven't.

My problem is that my hands fall asleep and that painful sensation wakes me up. I've had all kinds of tests done and apparently I am the healthiest person on the face of the earth. My doctor has no explanation for what causes my hands to fall asleep, he thinks it's small veins and if I bend my wrists in my sleep, the blood circulation is cut off. So he prescribes sleeping pills in the hope that I will be too drugged to wake up, but I wake up anyway. :frown:

His other suggestion was to tie my hands/arms to boards so I couldn't bend them in my sleep. The problem is, I can't sleep with boards tied to my hands and if I could, I'd probably hit myself in the head in my sleep and cause even worse problems.

I only take something if I have an important meeting in the morning and need more than 45 minutes of sleep. Needless to say, I go through most days in a daze. :rolleyes:

I didn't see this post before I added mine about melatonin. Probably won't help much in that case, you'll just wake up even groggier. I had a problem a little like that for a while, somehow I would sleep in some strange way that I'd either cut off circulation to my arm, or pinch a nerve or something, and would wake up with my arm hurting like pins and needles. I just piled up more pillows on the bed and manage to use the pillows to keep me from getting turned around too much. But I don't know if that's what your problem is.

There is something called restless legs syndrome that's like that but for legs. I don't know what causes that, so don't know if the same could happen to your hand.

Aha! Panyhose and heat ;) Okay, I'm very tired. But pantyhose are the least restrictive, best breathability (?!), they're cheap, and easy to use (and a lot softer than boards!). And heat to quicken the blood flow to your hands when they wake you. Sorry, that's the best I've got for now :zzz:

You know, I was thinking (sometimes I do that, and since I've been posting between housecleaning for tomorrow, I've had lots of time to think between posts)...do you only need to keep your wrist straight, or your whole arm? If it's just your wrists, then they have those lightweight braces for carpal tunnel syndrome. You could just put them on at night. There are ones just made out of that elastic Ace Bandage type material that are soft, so wouldn't need to worry about clonking yourself in the head with boards.

That, or maybe you need a boyfriend who will tie you to the bedposts at night so you won't sleep on your hands? :devil:

:rofl: :zzz: :bugeye: Oh yes, Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :smile: :zzz:

Moonbear said:
You know, I was thinking (sometimes I do that, and since I've been posting between housecleaning for tomorrow, I've had lots of time to think between posts)...do you only need to keep your wrist straight, or your whole arm? If it's just your wrists, then they have those lightweight braces for carpal tunnel syndrome. You could just put them on at night. There are ones just made out of that elastic Ace Bandage type material that are soft, so wouldn't need to worry about clonking yourself in the head with boards.
I've thought about trying that, it might work. My problem is that I don't move when I sleep, so my hands stay in the same position, therefore they fall asleep. If I tossed and turned, the constant changing of position would alleviate the problem

[quoteThat, or maybe you need a boyfriend who will tie you to the bedposts at night so you won't sleep on your hands? :devil:[/QUOTE]Ooooh, that's the best suggestion yet! :tongue2: :biggrin: