Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It's me again about mass

1. Nov 13, 2003 #1
    Hallo everybody!

Now I’ve got another problem:

Is „mass“ really absolute or does it depend on the gravity?

(Here, I really think of „mass“, not of „weight“)

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2003 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The word "mass" refers essentially to the proportionality constant between applied force and experienced acceleration:

F = m a

Weight is force -- the force pulling you to the earth right now, for example. On the Moon, a body with a mass of 1 kg will not weight 9.8 newtons like it does on Earth -- it will weigh less. However, if you apply the same force to the 1 kg mass on both the Earth and the Moon, the mass will accelerate the same way in both places.

- Warren

4. Nov 13, 2003 #3

turin

Homework Helper

From what I understand of GR, mass is more massive in a stronger gravitational field, because the field equation has a sort of positive feedback. In other words, a mass in a g-field has an energy because it is in the g-field. This energy contributes to the amount of gravitation, which is directly related to the mass.

5. Nov 14, 2003 #4
    i feel.................

before i begin, this is my own idea not any sort of a theory. i feel mass is something that exist when there is a charge. Look at an atom it has charge(inside it) and it has mass. but now look at light, it has no charge and it has no mass. So i feel that mass is something caused by charge in space time.

I might be wrong, if i am please correct me.

-Benzun
    All For God.

6. Nov 14, 2003 #5
    Thank you for your answers .... :smile:

But I do know the difference between mass and weight ...

But does the relativity theory cause any mutation of mass, too (when anything passes anything with a particular speed)?

Mille grazie!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?