It's me again about mass

• Thread starter Merkur
  • Start date
Hallo everybody!

Now I’ve got another problem:

Is „mass“ really absolute or does it depend on the gravity?

(Here, I really think of „mass“, not of „weight“)

Thank you!

Answers and Replies

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The word "mass" refers essentially to the proportionality constant between applied force and experienced acceleration:

F = m a

Weight is force -- the force pulling you to the earth right now, for example. On the Moon, a body with a mass of 1 kg will not weight 9.8 newtons like it does on Earth -- it will weigh less. However, if you apply the same force to the 1 kg mass on both the Earth and the Moon, the mass will accelerate the same way in both places.

- Warren

turin
Homework Helper
From what I understand of GR, mass is more massive in a stronger gravitational field, because the field equation has a sort of positive feedback. In other words, a mass in a g-field has an energy because it is in the g-field. This energy contributes to the amount of gravitation, which is directly related to the mass.

i feel.................

before i begin, this is my own idea not any sort of a theory. i feel mass is something that exist when there is a charge. Look at an atom it has charge(inside it) and it has mass. but now look at light, it has no charge and it has no mass. So i feel that mass is something caused by charge in space time.

I might be wrong, if i am please correct me.

-Benzun
All For God.

Originally posted by chroot
The word "mass" refers essentially to the proportionality constant between applied force and experienced acceleration:

F = m a

Weight is force -- the force pulling you to the earth right now, for example. On the Moon, a body with a mass of 1 kg will not weight 9.8 newtons like it does on Earth -- it will weigh less. However, if you apply the same force to the 1 kg mass on both the Earth and the Moon, the mass will accelerate the same way in both places.

- Warren
Thank you for your answers .... :smile:

But I do know the difference between mass and weight ...

But does the relativity theory cause any mutation of mass, too (when anything passes anything with a particular speed)?

Mille grazie!