It's never aliens?

• Thread starter nytmr24
  • Start date
I know that the standard mantra of physicists who view themselves and their work as mainstream believe its never aliens. After all, as Carl Sagan reminded us, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, " as it should rightly be. But, recently, some pretty extraordinary proof has made its way from the dark corners of DOD to public view. I am sure that anyone reading this thread has seen it.

My question to you, therefore: if you were to assume, hypothetically, that the video images of "tic tack" aircraft taken by the F-18 pilots accurately depict what actually happened, how could such an aircraft move the way it appears to? I realize that Newton's first law would appear to rule out such movement. But, if such movement can happen, how? We speculate on possible physical mechanisms for phenomenon we don't understand all the time. A quantum field that decouples mass from applied force? If these aircraft actually exist, as they appear to, a revolution in our understanding of physics is required.

PF's Mission Statement:
Our mission is to provide a place for people (whether students, professional scientists, or others interested in science) to learn and discuss science as it is currently generally understood and practiced by the professional scientific community. As our name suggests, our main focus is on physics, but we also have forums for most other academic areas including engineering, chemistry, biology, social sciences, etc.
That does not include this kind of speculation, or reinventing fundamental physics.

Thread closed.

russ_watters

Mentor
My question to you, therefore: if you were to assume, hypothetically, that the video images of "tic tack" aircraft taken by the F-18 pilots accurately depict what actually happened, how could such an aircraft move the way it appears to?
[assuming we're looking at the same video] Given that the object doesn't appear to be moving at all for most of the video it is likely a piece of debris on the lens of the sensor.

You're letting your imagination run away from you (as the pilots evidently did). An IR camera does not provide distance information. What you see in it could be on the sensor or could be hundreds or millions of miles away and there's no way to know without other contextual information. Here's a good primer on the problems with such sightings:

This is not a topic for PF. Thread locked.

FactChecker

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Even if a scientist wanted to reply, there is no information with which to say anything scientifically legitimate. You see the video and know as much as he would. It would be like if you were asked to comment on the cause of death of a particular average citizen in China, with no other information. Why would you even try? It would be deceptive to try.