Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It’s not about having a Sunni or Shia or Kurd or Arab in power

1. Feb 15, 2005 #1

Homework Helper

"it’s not about having a Sunni or Shia or Kurd or Arab in power"

Some thoughts on the election from Baghdad Burning, a weblog kept by an Iraqi woman under the name 'Riverbend'.
    The same post also comments on recent changes in the treatment of Iraqi women. After recounting a visit to a government ministry where she was treated disapprovingly due to her clothes, she writes:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

This really is the main point. Hearing it from Bush, its all roses and lollypops, but the reality is that there is a real risk of a "tyranny of the majority" here. That said, we had a similar problem with forming the US Constitution. If they learn from our mistakes, and above all, faithfully try ot make the system work, it will.
  4. Feb 15, 2005 #3

Science Advisor

I don’t think so. The Shai vote was 48%, Kurds 26a% and others. As far as I know the system requires a 2/3 majority in every province(?) to ratify the constitution. Suni have the greater population in many of the provinces (?), as do the Kurds. If the do not vote in the ratification process they reap their reward. I’m reading that the man-in-the-street Suni is ticked off at their leaders for telling them not to vote. I’m sure the next vote will see them waiting in line at the polls.

Off-topic but I think interesting: In Google world news, the Iraq item is the sixth on the list. I can’t recall it being that low for several years. Iraq is becoming a non-issue. Syria is moving up quickly. Israel is moving down, Afghanistan is down. Three down a few to go.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?