It's not air friction that heats space shuttle?

In summary, the article "The ten misconceptions NASA tour guides hear" explains that air friction is not the main cause of heating for objects entering the atmosphere, but rather highly compressed air at the leading edges. The PSI and temperature for the shuttle's nose area at 11000km altitude is roughly 812Psi and -56.5°C, respectively. However, these are rough estimates and may vary. The PSI and temperature of a meteor entering the atmosphere may also vary, but are likely to be high.
bluechipx
I read an article in a science mag. awhile back entitled "The ten misconceptions NASA tour guides hear". They said that air friction is not responsible for the heating of fast moving objects through the atmosphere, but highly compressed air at the leading edges. Now that I am enlightened, could anyone tell me the PSI that the shuttle sees on its nose area? Also the temp? This may be a tough one, but how about the PSI and temp of a meteor entering our atmosphere? Thanks Guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
ok, let's say the stagnation pressure is the sum of the dynamic and static pressure at the nose of the shuttle when it's in the tropopause (11000km around 33000ft altitude). The static pressure at this altitude is about 23kPa, the temperature is about -56.5°C and the density of the air is around 0.36kg/m³.

So dynamic pressure is 1/2*density*v²
let's assume the shuttle is doing about 20000km/h (5555m/s) at this point, the stagnation pressure would be 1/2*0.36*5555² + 23000 = 5577444.5Pa = 5.6MPa = 56bar! (812Psi)

this is a very rough approximation, but use it as you like.

That's really interesting! I had always thought that air friction was the main cause of heating for objects entering the atmosphere. I'm not sure about the exact PSI and temperature for the shuttle's nose area, but I'm sure it's pretty high considering the speed it's traveling at. As for a meteor, I'm not sure if there's a standard PSI or temperature since they can vary in size and speed. But I would imagine it's also quite high. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can chime in and give us some more specific numbers. Thanks for sharing this information!

1. What is the main cause of heat on a space shuttle during re-entry?

The main cause of heat on a space shuttle during re-entry is not air friction, but rather atmospheric compression. When the shuttle is traveling at high speeds, the air in front of it compresses and creates a layer of superheated plasma around the spacecraft, which is what causes the intense heat.

2. Why is air friction not the main source of heat on a space shuttle?

Air friction does play a role in heating the space shuttle during re-entry, but it is not the main source of heat. This is because the air at high altitudes is very thin, and thus does not create enough friction to generate significant heat. It is the compression of the air that causes the majority of the heating.

3. How does the space shuttle protect itself from the intense heat during re-entry?

The space shuttle is equipped with a thermal protection system, which consists of various materials that can withstand high temperatures. These materials include ceramic tiles, reinforced carbon-carbon panels, and insulation blankets. The tiles are specially designed to dissipate heat and protect the shuttle from the extreme temperatures during re-entry.

4. Can air friction still affect the space shuttle during re-entry?

Yes, air friction can still affect the space shuttle during re-entry, but it is not the main source of heat. The shuttle's thermal protection system is designed to withstand the heat generated by both air friction and atmospheric compression. However, if there are any malfunctions or damage to the thermal protection system, air friction can become a more significant factor in heating the shuttle.

5. Are there any other factors that contribute to the heating of the space shuttle during re-entry?

Besides atmospheric compression and air friction, there are a few other factors that can contribute to the heating of the space shuttle during re-entry. These include the angle of re-entry, the speed of the shuttle, and the density of the atmosphere. If any of these factors are not within the optimal range, it can affect the amount of heat generated during re-entry.