Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Its not possible to clone people well

1. Apr 21, 2005 #1
    So anyways, I know people think that its *probably* not possible to clone people. Or if it is, that its not possible to clone people well.

There's one company that claims it has cloned people, and thats Clonaid.

What I was thinking is; there must be a group or something- an organization- somewhere out there that would pay $100,000 for a clone to verify Clonaid's claims.

If we could debunk Clonaid, Im sure that would make a lot of people who are skeptical about Clonaid happy.

And if we could verify that Clonaid has Clonaid people then all hell would probably break loose but maybe...in an entertaining...way lol

Personally, if someody was able to verify that Clonaid had managed to clone people, I would want to know that they had managed to clone people but I wouldn't necessarily want the rest of the world to know that Clonaid had cloned people.

So what I was thinking is:

Id like to verify whether or not Clonaid has cloned people...preferrably without the rest of the world knowing....what sort of organization/private person do you think would want to debunk or verify Clonaids claims?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2005 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Clonaid is a fraudulent organization run by one of the nuttiest religious cults on the planet: the Raelians.

- Warren

4. Apr 21, 2005 #3
    Yep that guys pretty freaky I wouldn't want anything to do with him. I think they claim 18 cloned births now..but of course no one will say where they are because of the media bombardment that would hound them.
    If I were going to try and debunk them, I would get a job with them, your only gonna find the answers from the inside.

5. Apr 21, 2005 #4
    Well Ive talked to them and Ive said that I want a clone. Theyve sent me an NDA agreement. I think somebody could debunk them if they paid for a clone and didnt get one or something.

What Im thinking is: I'd like to go all the way with this, see if I can get a clone. But Id need somebody whod pay for the clone- either in return for knowing that they can clone people, or in return for knowing that they can't clone people/debunking the organization(For not providing a clone or whatever)

6. Apr 21, 2005 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm assuming they're going to charge you hundreds of thousands of dollars. I don't think anyone here will be interested in financing your social experiment.

- Warren

7. Apr 21, 2005 #6
    I wasnt looking for someone here to finance my "exploration"

I was wondering if someone (here) knew of an organization (like a pro-cloning organization), or private person, that might fund it

I mean there must be a University or something that would pay $100,000 for proof that they've cloned people. And if the University- or whatever- doesnt get the clone in exchange for the money Im sure they could sue Clonaid or something. So is my idea really that bad?

(Not that Clonaid would give a clone to a University. But you see where Im going with this...the University provides the funding...I provide the clone....or something. Im not sure how that would work, but theres got to be a way that they could get their money back/sue Clonaid if a clone wasnt given in exchange for the money.)

(I think though that it would be possible to get the clone FIRST and THEN pay $100,000 for it or whatever. In which case, it doesnt seem like the University (or whoever was paying for it) should worry THAT much about getting ripped off.) (Assuming that the clone could be proved to be a clone. Which it probably could be.)

(Im not saying that the University would have the right to treat the clone as some sort of science experiment. But I don't see why they couldnt do blood tests and stuff on the clone from time to time, to see how healthy it is and stuff. And Im sure theyd want to be able to do that, and maybe theyd want to be able to do that even if it meant theyd have to pay $100,000 to do so.)

you sounded a little angry or something when you said "YOUR social experiment" but maybe you werent? I dont know

Its kinda funny...my dads middle name is Warren, (hes a professor of computer science) and your name appears to be Warren

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  8. Apr 22, 2005 #7
    Maybe I could get proof that they've cloned people without getting a clone first though (I still have to sign the NDA agreements and stuff I havent done that yet)

9. Apr 22, 2005 #8
    Not that there isn't a very large populus who would probably be willing to put money into some crazy like this, but I highly doubt you will find an institution that will just give you $100,000+ when they just as easily could do it themselves if they thought that there was the slightest chance that this cult deserved the right to the slighest bit of credibility.
    Of course it must have come from the alien technology that only the true believers get. :uhh:

10. Apr 22, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This thread would be more suited for the debunking forum. There is no credible evidence whatsoever that they've cloned anything, let alone a human. They've refused any verification from any outside scientists. For all we know, it could be a front for illegal adoptions or a particularly lusty cult leader who is shirking child support.

11. Apr 22, 2005 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good point, Moonbear.

- Warren

12. Apr 23, 2005 #11
    E-mail whom ever you get your health care coverage from and tell them you have a scheme to make lots of money and that they would just have to sponsor your request with Clonaid. ;-p

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?