What weather patterns can we expect for Winter 2010 in Canada?

• Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Canada
In summary: I already had.In summary, I think the weather is changing, but it's not necessarily because of global warming.
moe darklight
OK...

what
is
going
on?

The apocalypse must be near. As I type this, I hear raindrops out my window. Yesterday I went out in a T-shirt.

No, I don't live in south america where it's summer: I'm in freaking Hamilton, Ontario Canada!

http://www.ukar.ca/putin/putin35northpole.jpg [Broken]
Downtown Hamilton Before

http://www.adrhi.com/Sunset-Beach.jpg [Broken]
Downtown Hamilton Now

Camel-Crossing.jpg

Statistical Predictions For Winter 2010

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Overreacting are we? Just think of it this way - you'll be in the catbird seat, climate-wise, when the whole global warming thing really gets rolling. Nice temperate winter evenings with along twilight and billions of mosquitoes.

It snowed in Bagdad today, the first time in 100 years.

Nice pics. Whats the time difference between both of them?

The weather here in NYC hasn't been cold either. In fact, since winter started, there hasn't been any significant snowfall. I think a few days ago, it peaked around 60 degrees Fahrenheit. And I kinda miss the snow :(

We expect unusual weather patterns as a result of GW.

It's NOT raining in Vancouver - I'm confused!
There was a lot of snow before christmas which is apparently unusual here.

Evo said:
It snowed in Bagdad today, the first time in 100 years.

not only that:

Saudi Arabia covered with snow in coldest winter for 20 years
13:25 | 11/ 01/ 2008

ABU DHABI, January 11 (RIA Novosti) - Northern parts of Saudi Arabia are covered with snow with schools, mosques and administrative bodies paralyzed, local media reported Friday.

The oil-rich kingdom is being hit with subzero temperatures and snow storms with freezing winds of up to 50 km/h (30mp/h). Some regions have been experiencing problems with water supplies as pipes have frozen, and livestock has died from the cold.

The Saudi Gazette reported late in December that the winter was expected to last 89 days, with temperatures reaching below zero. National media said the winter is the coldest in the country for 20 years.

Morning and afternoon prayers are being combined in many mosques because of the morning cold and some schools will reopen later than scheduled.

The bad weather is fun for children and teenagers, however, who have been making snowballs and building snowmen with enthusiasm.
http://en.rian.ru/world/20080111/96210251.html

Just yesterday there was tons of rain in parts of BC not in Vancouver. I remember a few years ago some parts of BC & even Yukon were hotter than Saudi Arabia! Every report I've seen has said the warm period in southern Ontario & Quebec definitely won't last. Just check out Environment Canada's forecast for Hamilton the next few days:

Tonight A few rain showers or wet flurries ending this evening then cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries. Wind southwest 40 km/h gusting to 60 becoming west 20 this evening then becoming light overnight. Low zero.
Saturday Cloudy with sunny periods. Wind becoming west 20 km/h early in the afternoon. High plus 3.
Saturday night Cloudy. Low minus 2.
Sunday Cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries. High plus 4.
Monday Periods of snow. Low minus 1. High plus 2.
Tuesday Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 6. High minus 1.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/on-77_metric_e.html

Ivan Seeking said:

GW bush?

rewebster said:
GW bush?

GW as in global warming would be my guess.

People frequently speak of the risk of possible global warming. It appears to me not as a possibility, but as an observation; temperatures have risen measureably, and the weather is different beyond common variations from what it was like not too long ago.

Your weather sounds like London, to be honest. It's either crap, or crap with a bit of drizzle :biggrin:

English weather is wet and cold, not that i care, it means i can wear wellies 99% of the time.

wolram said:
t means i can wear wellies 99% of the time.
Wolram is Compo - that explains everything!

Ivan Seeking said:
We also expect unusual weather patterns because of weather.

I was very appreciative of the warm weather this week...especially last night since I had to be at work at 3 AM for an experiment. It's MUCH easier to drag yourself out of bed for something like that when it isn't bitterly cold (the folks with that shift last week had to go out in the snow at that hour). And, lucky for me, the downpour that arrived just as I was finishing up cleaned up the mess we made on the loading dock (don't ask) so I didn't have to spend more time dragging out a hose.

And, yeah, if global warming makes this more common and melts all the ice caps and floods half the Earth as some of the more dire predictions claim, then I have no problem with my mountain home becoming water-front property on a tropical island. :biggrin:

mgb_phys said:
It's NOT raining in Vancouver - I'm confused!

:rofl:

It is raining right now here (Saint John) on Canada's Atlantic coast.

Its been unusually cold this Winter in Phoenix (not below freezing of course because that would be just plain wacko). You guys in the north-east need to stop stealing our heat :grumpy:.

In the midwest it's been a terribly cold and snowy/icy autumn and winter, the worst I can remember in the 14 years I have lived here. The past few summers have been the coolest here. Summers used to have temperatures in the upper 90's and low hundreds, last year was the coolest with 292 consecutive days without temperatures reaching the 90's.

russ_watters said:
We also expect unusual weather patterns because of weather.
:biggrin: This is more subtle and more wise than it may have appeared at first - in light of the GW craze.

1. What causes rain in Canada?

Rain in Canada is caused by the same factors that cause rain in other parts of the world. When warm, moist air rises and cools, the water vapor condenses into droplets and falls as rain. In Canada, this can be due to weather systems such as low pressure systems, frontal systems, or atmospheric instability.

2. Is it normal for it to rain in Canada?

Yes, rain is a normal and common occurrence in Canada. The country has a diverse climate, with regions that experience different levels of precipitation. On average, Canada receives around 550mm of rain per year, with coastal regions and mountainous areas receiving more rain than the prairies and arctic regions.

3. How often does it rain in Canada?

The frequency of rain in Canada varies depending on the region. In general, the country experiences around 100 days of rain per year, with some regions having more rainy days than others. Coastal regions, such as Vancouver and Halifax, can have over 150 days of rain per year, while arctic regions may only have 50 days of rain.

4. What is the best time to visit Canada if I want to avoid rain?

The best time to visit Canada to avoid rain depends on the region you plan to visit. In general, the summer months (June-August) tend to have the least amount of rain, but this can vary. For example, central Canada tends to have the most rain in the summer, while coastal regions have more rain in the fall. It's best to research the specific region you plan to visit to determine the best time to avoid rain.

5. Can rain in Canada turn into snow?

It is possible for rain in Canada to turn into snow, especially in the colder months or in higher elevations. This is because the temperature drops as the air rises, causing the water droplets to freeze and turn into snowflakes. However, this is not always the case and depends on various factors such as temperature, altitude, and the type of precipitation system.