Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It's Raining In Canada?

1. Jan 11, 2008 #1
    OK...

what
    is
    going
    on?

The apocalypse must be near. As I type this, I hear raindrops out my window. Yesterday I went out in a T-shirt.

No, I don't live in south america where it's summer: I'm in freaking Hamilton, Ontario Canada!

[​IMG]
    Downtown Hamilton Before

[​IMG]
    Downtown Hamilton Now

[​IMG]
    Statistical Predictions For Winter 2010

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2008 #2

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Overreacting are we? Just think of it this way - you'll be in the catbird seat, climate-wise, when the whole global warming thing really gets rolling. Nice temperate winter evenings with along twilight and billions of mosquitoes.

4. Jan 11, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It snowed in Bagdad today, the first time in 100 years.

5. Jan 11, 2008 #4

ranger

Gold Member

Nice pics. Whats the time difference between both of them?

The weather here in NYC hasn't been cold either. In fact, since winter started, there hasn't been any significant snowfall. I think a few days ago, it peaked around 60 degrees Fahrenheit. And I kinda miss the snow :(

6. Jan 11, 2008 #5
  7. Jan 11, 2008 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We expect unusual weather patterns as a result of GW.

8. Jan 11, 2008 #7
  9. Jan 11, 2008 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's NOT raining in Vancouver - I'm confused!
    There was a lot of snow before christmas which is apparently unusual here.

10. Jan 11, 2008 #9
    not only that:

http://en.rian.ru/world/20080111/96210251.html

Just yesterday there was tons of rain in parts of BC not in Vancouver. I remember a few years ago some parts of BC & even Yukon were hotter than Saudi Arabia! Every report I've seen has said the warm period in southern Ontario & Quebec definitely won't last. Just check out Environment Canada's forecast for Hamilton the next few days:

Tonight A few rain showers or wet flurries ending this evening then cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries. Wind southwest 40 km/h gusting to 60 becoming west 20 this evening then becoming light overnight. Low zero.
    Saturday Cloudy with sunny periods. Wind becoming west 20 km/h early in the afternoon. High plus 3.
    Saturday night Cloudy. Low minus 2.
    Sunday Cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries. High plus 4.
    Monday Periods of snow. Low minus 1. High plus 2.
    Tuesday Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 6. High minus 1.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/on-77_metric_e.html

11. Jan 11, 2008 #10
    GW bush?

12. Jan 11, 2008 #11
    GW as in global warming would be my guess.

People frequently speak of the risk of possible global warming. It appears to me not as a possibility, but as an observation; temperatures have risen measureably, and the weather is different beyond common variations from what it was like not too long ago.

13. Jan 11, 2008 #12

dst

Your weather sounds like London, to be honest. It's either crap, or crap with a bit of drizzle :biggrin:

14. Jan 11, 2008 #13

wolram

Gold Member

English weather is wet and cold, not that i care, it means i can wear wellies 99% of the time.

15. Jan 11, 2008 #14

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wolram is Compo - that explains everything!

16. Jan 11, 2008 #15

russ_watters

We also expect unusual weather patterns because of weather.

17. Jan 11, 2008 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was very appreciative of the warm weather this week...especially last night since I had to be at work at 3 AM for an experiment. It's MUCH easier to drag yourself out of bed for something like that when it isn't bitterly cold (the folks with that shift last week had to go out in the snow at that hour). And, lucky for me, the downpour that arrived just as I was finishing up cleaned up the mess we made on the loading dock (don't ask) so I didn't have to spend more time dragging out a hose.

And, yeah, if global warming makes this more common and melts all the ice caps and floods half the Earth as some of the more dire predictions claim, then I have no problem with my mountain home becoming water-front property on a tropical island. :biggrin:

18. Jan 11, 2008 #17

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

It is raining right now here (Saint John) on Canada's Atlantic coast.

19. Jan 11, 2008 #18
    Its been unusually cold this Winter in Phoenix (not below freezing of course because that would be just plain wacko). You guys in the north-east need to stop stealing our heat :grumpy:.

20. Jan 11, 2008 #19

Evo

In the midwest it's been a terribly cold and snowy/icy autumn and winter, the worst I can remember in the 14 years I have lived here. The past few summers have been the coolest here. Summers used to have temperatures in the upper 90's and low hundreds, last year was the coolest with 292 consecutive days without temperatures reaching the 90's.

21. Jan 11, 2008 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

:biggrin: This is more subtle and more wise than it may have appeared at first - in light of the GW craze.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?