1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Its really confusing me alot

1. Sep 8, 2005 #1
    a block of iron defined by parameters mass,volume and density.when volume is doubled,the mass is also doubled;but the density of doubled volume of iron block remains the same.how do you distinguish the parameters mass and density.give any example (may be 2 or 3),so that i can understand well
    thank u for taking ur valuable time.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2005 #2
  4. Sep 8, 2005 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The density is the RATIO between mass and volume, [tex]\rho_{1}=\frac{m_{1}}{V_{1}}[/tex]
    where [tex]\rho_{1}[/tex] stands for density for the first block, [tex]m_{1},V_{1}[/tex] mass and volume for block 1 respectively.
    If we look at a block 2 with twice the mass of block 1, that is [tex]m_{2}= 2m_{1}[/tex], and doubled volume [tex]V_{2}=2V_{1}[/tex], the density of this block is:
    [tex]\rho_{2}=\frac{m_{2}}{V_{2}}=\frac{2m_{1}}{2V_{1}}=\frac{m_{1}}{V_{1}}=\rho_{1}[/tex]
    that is, the densities of the blocks are equal.

5. Sep 9, 2005 #4
    iam speaking statistically

as per STATISTICAL MECHANICS APPLY UR idea and can u eloborate the physical situation.
    thank u

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?