Is It Snowing Already? Ugh, Canadians!

• Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around snow, with some individuals expressing their excitement while others express their dislike for it. Some mention their experiences with snow while others long for it in their current locations. The conversation also touches on the topic of sled cats and how they fare in snowy climates.
Smurf
It's Snowing!

[chant] It's snooo-wing, It's snooo-wing, It's snooo-wing [/chant]
Well, its really more like slush but none the less :biggrin:

Ok now for the bad part
[rant]
I really hate Canadians, every bloody year they get all excited about the first snow, It happens every bloody year in the same bloody week yet, first day of snow, ITS ALL ANYONE IS TALKING ABOUT AHHHHHHHHHHH!.
I hate Canadians :grumpy:
[/rant]

Physics news on Phys.org
LOL. It doesn't snow here. It's too wet to snow. I wish I was in Canada so I could see the snow. Well it isn't a white christmas. More like a white february.

It doesn't snow here either. Right now it is 80 Degrees outside.

Today is the first day it snowed in Canada? It snowed here about a week or two ago, and we only get snow maybe once or twice a year, and its far from what you Canadians would call snow.

I live in the middle of the US and last month I got over 18 inches of snow the first day. The snow has just finally melted from the last snowfall and it might snow again tonight. I guess I should move north to get away from the snow? :biggrin:

Smurf said:
[chant] It's snooo-wing, It's snooo-wing, It's snooo-wing [/chant]
Well, its really more like slush but none the less :biggrin:

Ok now for the bad part
[rant]
I really hate Canadians, every bloody year they get all excited about the first snow, It happens every bloody year in the same bloody week yet, first day of snow, ITS ALL ANYONE IS TALKING ABOUT AHHHHHHHHHHH!.
I hate Canadians :grumpy:
[/rant]

LOL! As soon as I saw you posting about snow, I was going to make some snarky comment about Canadians getting awfully excited about something they'll be seeing a lot of for the next several months, but it seems you beat me to it. :biggrin:

It's in the high 50s here today (I think...last time I was outside anyway). But gray and rainy. This is such depressing weather lately.

You can keep your snow, especially on a Monday. I like a nice Friday afternoon snow, so I can just look at it and wait for it to melt over the weekend so I don't have to actually shovel snow or anything. That's the best way.

It snows here. We usually get none to a few inches each year but every five to ten years we can get a good amount. Though once it did snow for most of two weeks, the most we saw at anyone time in 14 years is about 12 inches. About half would melt away and then it would snow again. Around here we mostly get the horrid silver thaw - where the snow melts and re-freezes. We also get rain on top of snow, and rain that turn to ice and then snow, so icy roads and black ice are constant concerns in winter.

It looks like Tsu and I will make good Canadians. We also get excited when it first snows. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I want snow, :cry: I want to be done with finals :cry: I need to go home to the snow. All I have here is rain, lots of rain and wind. :grumpy:

Look what you did, I'm supposed to be studdying.

Last edited:
You guys ... if you were blended with that white stuff like 5 months a year freezing your butts you might think again ... from where I'm standing the envy for locations like California & Florida is reaching an all time high at this time of year (ok, at least you got the political climate to worry about :smile: ).

PerennialII said:
the political climate to worry about :smile: ).

I'll take the snow. :smile:

How do you think sled cats work out?

PerennialII said:
You guys ... if you were blended with that white stuff like 5 months a year freezing your butts you might think again ... from where I'm standing the envy for locations like California & Florida is reaching an all time high at this time of year (ok, at least you got the political climate to worry about :smile: ).

Hey, when at home I get three to four months of snow. And on sunny days the tempeture goes from -12 degrees on average in the morning up to the mid 50's I miss it, people here think I'm crazy because I wear shorts and short sleeves most of the time.

How do you think sled cats work out?

A lot I believe ... think you got to go to Siberia or something for them to work amenably.

Hey, when at home I get three to four months of snow. And on sunny days the tempeture goes from -12 degrees on average in the morning up to the mid 50's I miss it, people here think I'm crazy because I wear shorts and short sleeves most of the time.

That's actually one of the really good side of it ... go a tad southwards and can survive with summer gear all year long.

Its Snowing up there, overcast down here.

Ive only seen snow twice in my life. Once was less than 1/2 inch and looked more like dirt than snow, and the second time it was at max an inch. But then again, I am not acclimated to cold weather, and I wear sweaters and jackets in 50 degree weather. My winters are mild and lack snow.

A funny snow story: When we moved to Oregon from Los Angeles I had never seen snow falling; less a few momentary encounters. I had been in the snow before but my exposure was limited. Our first winter brought a pretty good storm that produced huge wet flakes. When I saw the snow coming down I threw on my jacket and boots and went for a long walk. A while later, I hadn't noticed that my hair was soaking wet and beginning to freeze until this five year old kid saw me and came running across the yard. He ran right up to me, stopped and then said quite boldly "hey mister, you need a hat!".

Gee, I never thought of that one. :uhh: Even worse, I've been outwitted by a five year old... :cry: :cry: :cry: I thanked him and then started cracking up. He just looked at me strangely and went back to whatever he was doing.

We had our first snow on halloween (enough to close schools the next day). Of course, the closer it gets to Christmans, the less chance we have of snow. Then it will pick up and start snowing again in the Spring (those are usually the best snows of the year - enough good wet snows and we'll even have green lawns before we turn on the sprinklers).

We had the first significant snowfall of the season in South Western Ontario today as well. I hate snow. Humbug.

Ivan Seeking said:
A funny snow story: When we moved to Oregon from Los Angeles I had never seen snow falling; less a few momentary encounters. I had been in the snow before but my exposure was limited. Our first winter brought a pretty good storm that produced huge wet flakes. When I saw the snow coming down I threw on my jacket and boots and went for a long walk. A while later, I hadn't noticed that my hair was soaking wet and beginning to freeze until this five year old kid saw me and came running across the yard. He ran right up to me, stopped and then said quite boldly "hey mister, you need a hat!".

Gee, I never thought of that one. :uhh: Even worse, I've been outwitted by a five year old... :cry: :cry: :cry: I thanked him and then started cracking up. He just looked at me strangely and went back to whatever he was doing.

I got a funny story too. When I was a kid I lived a duplex and the landlord just bought the building during the summer. A lebanese from the Ivory-coast and he never saw winter and he was responsible for removing the snow from the drive way. The first major snow storm that winter in montreal, the landlord was told by the building tenants to clean the drive and decided to it with a small shovel, which is suited to clean the steps. If you want the do the thing right you need a wide shovel which allows you to push the snow. That only the first funny part. The second funny part is that the guy wore 3 or 4 sweat shirts, no winter coat, and gloves and a hat not suited for winter. :rofl: He must of fell frustrated when the plowed pass on street and left the snow bank at the end of the drive way.

In halifax it is not snowing yet. They are predicting for tomorow. The snow from the snow storm 3 weeks is all melted.

two weeks ago it snowed at my house. i live in southern california, so this was INCREDIBLY huge for us.

but hey, slushmen and slushballs are better than nothing. :D

check said:
I hate snow. Humbug.

Can't agree more. And while we're working on banning snow can someone abolish the cold too ?

"Temperatures below freezing are henceforth illegal in public places."

I think I'd like that

Gokul43201 said:
Can't agree more. And while we're working on banning snow can someone abolish the cold too ?

"Temperatures below freezing are henceforth illegal in public places."

I think I'd like that

Good idea, but who would you hold responsible if it DID get cold? :confused:

:tongue2:

Ivan Seeking said:
It snows here. We usually get none to a few inches each year but every five to ten years we can get a good amount. Though once it did snow for most of two weeks, the most we saw at anyone time in 14 years is about 12 inches. About half would melt away and then it would snow again. Around here we mostly get the horrid silver thaw - where the snow melts and re-freezes. We also get rain on top of snow, and rain that turn to ice and then snow, so icy roads and black ice are constant concerns in winter.

It looks like Tsu and I will make good Canadians. We also get excited when it first snows. :biggrin:
Ha! shows that you're a newb to the area, in Jan of '69 there was 2-3 FT of snow on the ground in the Valley! :tongue:

check said:

Jack Frost of course! I hate that guy! :rofl:

check said:

The usual, George Bush :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Smurf said:
The usual, George Bush :biggrin:

Hmm, both good answers. lol

Moonbear said:

That sentiments enough to make a person break out in song:

"Jack Frost roasting o'er an open fire."
"Chestnuts nippng at your toes."

Integral said:
Ha! shows that you're a newb to the area, in Jan of '69 there was 2-3 FT of snow on the ground in the Valley! :tongue:

Was that 1869, or 1969? :tongue:

There are some pictures of our local town, I think from the 1930s or 40s, that show large snow drifts on main street.

Last edited:
Yay! It rained today and all the snow melted away. Then in the afternoon it was warm enough to go outside without a coat!

check 1, nature 0

mattmns said:
Today is the first day it snowed in Canada?

You speak of Canada like it's a city. Very offensive.

It very rarely snows here and if it does it's usually not until January. I've never had a White Christmas.

1. Is it common for Canadians to experience snowfall early in the year?

Yes, it is common for Canadians to experience snowfall in the early months of the year. The country's northern location and proximity to the Arctic make it susceptible to colder temperatures and earlier snowfalls compared to other countries.

2. Why is it frustrating to experience snow so early in Canada?

For Canadians, experiencing snow early in the year can be frustrating because it can disrupt daily routines, cause transportation delays, and make it challenging to perform outdoor activities.

3. How does early snowfall impact the economy in Canada?

Early snowfall can have both positive and negative impacts on the economy in Canada. On one hand, it can boost winter tourism and increase sales for businesses that cater to winter activities. On the other hand, it can also lead to increased expenses for clearing snow and potential damage to infrastructure.

4. Is early snowfall a sign of climate change in Canada?

While early snowfall may be perceived as a sign of climate change, it is not necessarily a conclusive indicator. Climate change involves long-term changes in weather patterns, and a single early snowfall event does not provide enough evidence to confirm or deny its presence.

5. Are there any benefits to experiencing snow early in Canada?

Yes, there are some benefits to experiencing snow early in Canada. It can provide a longer winter season for winter sports enthusiasts and create a beautiful winter wonderland scenery. It can also help replenish water levels in lakes and rivers, which can be beneficial for the environment.