Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It's ,solution please

1. Jun 16, 2009 #1
    it's urgent ,solution please

this morning when I opened the computer , with a welcome note ,there came a computer notice(A duplicate name exist in the networK),I do not understand this why the system alerted me
    Anyway the other programme runs,but I wanted to know how to remove this alert notice

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: it's urgent ,solution please

If you are on a home network restart any other computers. Also make sure that the network settings are set to 'obtain automatic ip address'.

The message also means you wont be able to get on the network.

4. Jun 16, 2009 #3

But I am using same pc to get in the internet now, can u please explain what are the causes and again more solution strategy

5. Jun 16, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Every machine on the net has a unique number (liek a telephone number) something like 192.168.0.100. If you are on a local network either at home with a router or at work, every machine on the network will have a different last number, 192.168.0.100 192.168.0.101 etc. In the network settings, start->control panel->network ->tcp/ip settings you can enter a number or select 'obtain an address automatically'.
    If two machines on the network have the same number then the network has no way to send the data to the correct machine.

Either you are entering the address and you have used the same number for two machines, or you have 'obtain automatically' and the router has made a mistake. If the other machine has since been turned off then you will be able to get on the network and you can ignore the message.

6. Jun 16, 2009 #5

Great thanks ,its useful

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook