Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It's Thesis writing time!

1. Dec 23, 2008 #1
    So who else is writing a thesis over the christmas holidays?

Can anyone help me with this latex problem:
    I'm using \begin{align} and \end{align} for this equation, but it looks ugly...

[​IMG]

How can I fix that first line?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2008 #2
    No thesis, but I'm building a helicopter transmission.

4. Dec 23, 2008 #3
    I am engaging in absolutely frivolous activity for the next week at least.

5. Dec 23, 2008 #4

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could factor out the common factor for the first three terms in the parenthesis, this would shorten all three lines. Nested parentheses will also be a bit ugly but it should shorten it enough to get the numbering to fit.

Why is the type face so big?

6. Dec 23, 2008 #5
    I'd prefer not to create more brackets. The typeface is 12pt but the pic is enlarged. I'm looking for some latex command that does multi-line alignment (break each equation into two lines).
    {align}, {multline} and {split} don't seem to be nice working functions for this case.

7. Dec 23, 2008 #6
    Who are you trying to fool, Renge? [8P]

8. Dec 23, 2008 #7
    I'm not writing my thesis, but I am writing my thesis proposal over the holidays. Does that count?

9. Dec 23, 2008 #8

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure about the mutli-line. You could try uniformly inserting some small negative value kern commands to tighten up the spacing enough to get the eqn number to fit.

Also the genfrac command is pretty flexible you might be able to use it to write the r.h.s of each equation as two lines at full 12pt with a left curly bracket.

something like:

[tex] P(\omega_p)=\genfrac{\{}{}{0pt}{0}{3\chi_{111}(|A_{\omega p}|^2A_{\omega p} + 2|A_{\omega s}|^2A_{\omega p}}{\quad \quad + 2|A_{\omega a}|^2A_{\omega p}+ 2A_{\omega p}^*A_{\omega s}A_{\omega a})} [/tex]
    or
    [tex] P(\omega_p)=3\chi_{111}\genfrac{\{}{\}}{0pt}{0}{|A_{\omega p}|^2A_{\omega p} + 2|A_{\omega s}|^2A_{\omega p}+}{ 2|A_{\omega a}|^2A_{\omega p}+ 2A_{\omega p}^*A_{\omega s}A_{\omega a}} [/tex]

or some variation thereof.

10. Dec 24, 2008 #9

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

try dividing the LHS by [tex] 3\chi_{111} [/tex] to remove it from the RHS.....

11. Dec 24, 2008 #10
    Cheers, that works and looks good.
    Merry Christmas all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?