Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It's time for both parties to go

1. Jan 21, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Who agrees that the system needs a good shake-up?

I'm registered as Independant. One thing that all Americans can do to send a strong signal to Washington is to register with alternative parties.

Your thoughts on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2006 #2
    It's a good Idea the system is does need a good shake-up.The biggest problem between Republicans and Demorcrates that I think they forget they living in the same country and being elected by the same people.

4. Jan 21, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

How do you re-register anyways.

I'm not even sure what i registered as... I think the Republican party called me once so i guess im a registered republican.

Oh wait yah, I remember putting Rep out of anger because some typical liberal bobble head compared the Abu Ghraib prison to Aushtwitz and was on tv at the moment.

Yup thats how much party offiliation means to me... i decided based on what was on tv...

Hey im a real american!

5. Jan 21, 2006 #4
    What kind of signal does that send, if Republicans and Democrats still get almost all of the votes?

"I'm pissed off at BOTH Republicans AND Democrats... But I guess I've gotta vote for one of them..."

6. Jan 21, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm registered as "No Party." There was no option called "Independent" in WV, just "No Party." That sounds so much less fun, but gets the point across all the same.

I too would like to see things shaken up. As it stands, it seems the two parties don't actually care if anything they're doing is good for the country or the people, just whether it's the opposite of the other party's platform (it seems it would be far too much for any of them to just say, "Hey, that's a good idea, maybe we should all agree on that.") The Democrats seem to go out of their way to oppose anything the Republicans propose, be it sensible or not, and vice versa.

I also think all the recent scandals point out that both parties have also become too powerful and too corrupt. When the folks in Congress are scrambling to pass legislation to cover their behinds and make previously illegal activities legal, it's time to toss them all out the window and start over.

Actually, it's not even having parties that I have so much of a problem with as it is the incumbents who have been in office for ages and have gained too much power because of it. I'd like to see them all tossed out, from both sides of the aisle, and make a clean start with some people who have fresh ideas and who don't have to spend all their time trying to cover up whatever messes they've made in the past rather than moving forward.

7. Jan 21, 2006 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, I think a radical shift in voter registrations would create quite a stir.

8. Jan 21, 2006 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  9. Jan 21, 2006 #8

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Registration as "no party" or "independent" is useless so long as election laws provide for closed primaries which are party controlled.

Needs: open primaries; campaign finance reform; term limits; and 24/7 financial disclosure for life following any term in public office.

10. Jan 21, 2006 #9

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I kind of have to agree with Waste. I've been registered non-partisan since I first registered 7 years ago, but I've only once voted for a third-party candidate. Refusing to vote for any democrats or republicans would make far more of a difference.

11. Jan 21, 2006 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But they have to be able to win or your vote is wasted.

Doesn't voter registration ultimately affect the economics of politics - who gets how much money?

12. Jan 21, 2006 #11

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Go Independent!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2006
  13. Jan 21, 2006 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Some states do have open primaries...
    anything specific for campaign finance reforms??...
    I don't feel we need term limits. If someone is doing such a job that he is constantly being re-elected... why toss out a good thing? I mean, if he's doing a poor job, I doubt he'll stay in office long anyhow. I mean if X Massachusettes Democrat or Y Texas Republican keeps getting elected... the people must think he's working in their best interest which is exactly what our Constitution wants.
    24/7 financial disclosure for life following election to office sounds HIGHLY Unconstitutional

14. Jan 21, 2006 #13

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Dunno how various state funding laws read, but my take on the "Would you (and your spouse) like to contribute a buck of your refund to 'save the whales,' little league, or campaign funding" revenues is that they are prorated among party registration figures, with some odd default minimum for Al Sharpton, Pat Robertson, and the like plus maybe an additional share per ten thousand petition signatures to put names on state ballots. You, as an independent with absolutely no party affiliation, running on your name only, accepting NO money with strings attached, running for the U.S. House of Reprehensibles from the State of Oregon won't get enough federal funds to cover your gas money.

15. Jan 21, 2006 #14

SOS2008

Gold Member

I think it used to be Independent long ago, but was changed to “No Party.”
    What we need are multiple parties that are formally recognized as such (with primaries, etc.). People from other countries laugh at Americans, not only because we have only two viable parties, but also to them there is little to no difference between the two.
    I agree that experience is a good thing. In the case of the presidency in which terms are limited, the "staff" become the source of continuity, and these individuals who are not elected often wield a great deal of power out of public view (think Rove and Libby).

As for working in the public’s interest, unfortunately someone like DeLay can come to power and maintain power via monetary favors to colleagues. As a result, the public may not become aware of questionable activities until after many years have gone by or possibly never. This can be addressed with better election and campaign reforms.

16. Jan 21, 2006 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

That is true, there are hold-overs from previous administrations. Bush had to deal with many Clinton hold-overs that were dead set against giving him a chance. I think the system should stay however based on historical precedent. Think of the problems one would have if these people had to be hired and fired every 4 years. Although there are obvoius problems with having people sticking around for a long time, I would bet their experience is well worth the handful of corrupt ones that spring up once in a while. I personally wouldn't want a new President walking in with a new staff and being told "good luck and have fun" by the outgoing government.

17. Jan 21, 2006 #16

SOS2008

Gold Member

Back on topic, the factions within the two major parties should be split into separate parties. If you split the Neocon Party and Religious Right Party from the Republican Party, I bet the Libertarian Party would take the lead for the conservatives. Also, this way it would be fairer for the Democrats, which lost votes to the liberal split of the Green Party/Ralph Nader.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2006
  18. Jan 21, 2006 #17
    I wonder how many individuals everywhere currently agree with the above statements when applied to their own nation.

I'm thinking many.

19. Jan 21, 2006 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Better (ok not better but as far as our country is concerned, important) question: How many people give enough of a crap to actually do anything about all that we've been saying in this thread.

Who here is ready to start plunking down cold hard cash to 3rd parties? The whole idea of "having money" is foreign to me unfortunately lately :cry:

20. Jan 21, 2006 #19
    Why don't we just our party the anti-party party?Who wants to run in the 2008 election

21. Jan 21, 2006 #20

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Hey SOS and Pengwuino, quit the bickering. A Penguin isn't a fish, either. Fish don't have wings or breathe air (okay, you were probably joking about that).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?