Building a DIY Radio Telescope: Worth the Time and Effort?

In summary, the conversation discusses building a radio telescope using a satellite dish and a .1 mhz rf choke. The speaker is seeking advice on whether this is a good project to pursue and if there are any potential alternatives or better options. They mention having a friend who successfully built a radio telescope, and they also mention purchasing a satellite signal meter to complete the project. The conversation concludes with the idea that it may be worth trying out the project, as there is no way to know if it will work until it is attempted.
relativelyslow
has anyone built this, something similar, or know anything about it? i found it on the internet and decided it was good to build seeing as i already have a satellite dish not being used. does anyone know of anything perhaps better to build? I've never built a radio telescope before, or any telescope for that matter, so i figured this is a good beginning one. you can see it HERE

just kind of wondering if this will be a waste of time

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I never built one but have a friend who did and later donated it to the local university. You could hear Jupiter and the Sun pretty well which can be more then enough to occupy a person!

if you look at the parts needed from radio shack it says a .1 mhz rf choke. is this correct or is it a typo? i can't seem to find one at radio shack or even online. at radio shack they had (i think) a 1 khz choke and it looked like the one in the pictures (i think this was the only choke they had, possibly one other kind). if it is correct, where can i find one?

i finally got the satellite signal meter from ebay so that should arrive soon hopefully. with that all i need is the choke and i can complete this thing!

can anyone tell me if either one, preferably which one, sounds plausible?

I'd be interested in if it actually works. Sometimes backyard projects like that don't work. Let me know if it works. No way to know whether it's a waste of time until you give it a try, then if it doesn't work then you know it was a waste of time. :wink:

Just being fresh. It might work, you never know. :smile:

1. What is an "Itty bitty radio telescope"?

An "Itty bitty radio telescope" is a small, portable radio telescope designed for amateur astronomers and scientists to observe radio signals from objects in space.

2. How does an "Itty bitty radio telescope" work?

An "Itty bitty radio telescope" works by collecting and amplifying radio signals from celestial objects. It uses a parabolic dish antenna to focus the signals onto a receiver, which then converts the signals into electrical signals that can be analyzed.

3. What can you observe with an "Itty bitty radio telescope"?

An "Itty bitty radio telescope" can observe a variety of celestial objects, including planets, stars, galaxies, and even the remnants of the Big Bang. It can also be used to study phenomena such as pulsars, black holes, and magnetic fields.

4. How is an "Itty bitty radio telescope" different from other radio telescopes?

An "Itty bitty radio telescope" is smaller and more portable than traditional radio telescopes, making it easier for amateur astronomers and scientists to use. It is also less expensive and can be built using readily available materials, making it more accessible to a wider audience.

5. Can I use an "Itty bitty radio telescope" for research purposes?

Yes, an "Itty bitty radio telescope" can be used for research purposes. However, its smaller size and sensitivity may limit its capabilities compared to larger, more advanced radio telescopes. It is best suited for educational and amateur use.