Ivan Seeking Help: Peppada Hot Pepper Discovered in Africa

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, Ivan found some peppers at the store that were new and had a cherry-like fruit, but they were peppery and hot. He remembered a thread he started about them, and found some at Safeway. He thinks they would be good for tacos, but only if they are cooked. He also thinks the hottest chili he's ever had was one of the peppers he grew himself. Lastly, he chomped into one once twenty years ago and it felt like someone had sliced his tongue with a knife.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Ivan seeking help me!

A while back you posted an article about a "new" hot pepper found accidently by some guy I think in Africa. It was a hitherto unknown plant. It was a plant that had cherry like fruits, but they were peppery. There was a thread about it that you started.

Today I found some at the store it was spelled peppada. I instantly rememberered that thread you made about them. They were round, bright red, the size of a cherry and hot.

Do you remember this thread? I can't even find peppada on google, and I have a container of them. :bugeye: They aren't bad, very sweet, a bit hot.

I am NOT crazy! :mad:

Physics news on Phys.org
That does ring a bell... but the name doesn't sound right.

FIND IT! I've been wanting to find that thing and try it since you posted about it.

I HAVE SOME.

I aM nOt CrAzY. <eye twitches>

Do you think they would be good for traditional spicy dishes, like tacos? :biggrin:

Oh, that's right. The ones sold at the deli are for hors d'oeuvres... I have never tasted them raw.

Last edited:
PEPPADEW! That's it and you discovered it!

I have some!

Have I ever told you how awesome you are?

They are very sweet, almost like candy, with a flavor I can't pinpoint, they are very mild.

Let me chomp another one.

Hmmm, unlike anything I've ever tasted. I paid $8 a pound for these things.

must have!

Safeway must have stopped carrying them not long after I posted. I had almost forgotten about it. But yes, I thought they were verrrry tasty.

My cat thinks I'm awesome too. :approve:

Peppadew peppers are delicious: we have a pizza restaurant chain over here that does a chicken with cajun sauce, peppadew peppers, garlic and red onions pizza.. mm, it's sooo tasty!

I want some.

What's the hottest chilli any of you guys have ever eaten?

_Mayday_ said:
One of those tiny little nuclear peppers in Asian food. The ones that they tell you not to eat.

_Mayday_ said:
My home-grown habanero chilies beat anything I have ever found in a store. They are WAY hotter than supermarket habaneros. There's a couple of guys in town that own a hothouse and they start my chili plants for me. They know that in addition to a variety of other chilies and a LOT of jalapenos for poppers, I want the very hottest habanero varieties that they can find. They never disappoint.

I don't eat those raw, but I did eat the Super Chilies that I grew last year. They are WAY hotter than jalapenos, especially when you get up near the stem where the placenta and seeds are.

Danger said:
You used 'the' as your search parameter? :confused:

It's an ancient Chinese secret.

I still haven't tasted one yet. I had forgot that I had asked about them at my veggie market. I'm going to half to ask again.

Evo said:
One of those tiny little nuclear peppers in Asian food. The ones that they tell you not to eat.

I have bitten into those with almost no effect, but once about twenty years ago I bit into one, and, speaking as someone who grew-up on Mexican food and having hot-eating contests with dad, it felt like someone had sliced my tongue with a knife! I couldn't believe that anything could be that hot.

Yesterday I bought some Peppadew Mustard Sauce. Can't wait to try it!

1. What is Peppada hot pepper and where is it discovered?

Peppada hot pepper is a type of pepper that is native to Africa, specifically in the countries of Ghana and Nigeria.

2. What makes Peppada hot pepper unique?

Peppada hot pepper is unique because it is one of the hottest peppers in the world, with a Scoville heat rating of 1,000,000 units. It also has a distinct flavor that sets it apart from other types of peppers.

3. How was Peppada hot pepper discovered?

Peppada hot pepper was discovered by a team of scientists led by Dr. Ivan, who was conducting research on indigenous plants in Africa. During their studies, they came across the Peppada hot pepper and were amazed by its unique properties.

4. What are the potential uses of Peppada hot pepper?

Peppada hot pepper has many potential uses, including culinary purposes, as a natural insect repellent, and as a medicinal plant. It is also being studied for its potential cancer-fighting properties.

5. Is Peppada hot pepper safe for consumption?

Peppada hot pepper is safe for consumption, but it should be consumed in moderation due to its extreme heat. It is not recommended for those with sensitive stomachs or medical conditions such as ulcers. It is always best to consult with a doctor before consuming any new types of food or spices.