Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ive been accused to fake experimental data and thats false

1. May 16, 2005 #1
    I might not have carried out my experiment very rigorously using a toy gyroscope that lasts 7 minutes.
    But in 20 measures the two top lasting winds were the ones that had precession and the rest were showing equal lasting with variations of 30 seconds usually

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2005 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

So did you calculate what a 30 second variation means? Did you calculate how much current theory says it should change? What, specifically, makes you think there is anything interesting/unusual about this result?

You're making claims here that are extrordinary and such claims require extreme scientific rigor before anyone will give them much more than a passing glance.

Last edited: May 16, 2005
  4. May 16, 2005 #3
    Then Im suggesting somebody with the capability to be more rigorous carry on this experiment that might have been overlooked.
    If the times coincide no calculation is necessary since the point of the experiment is to see if a wind with precession lasts the same than a non precessive wind

5. May 16, 2005 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

No experiment ever produces exactly the same result every time. Quantifying the error inherrent in the experiment is essential to determining if you have witnessed a valid phenomena. That includes calculating the expected result and determining if the measured result is close (or far) enough to cover such errors.

Also, what makes you think that precession needs to be powered?

6. May 16, 2005 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Just adding to russ' good comment a comment of my own:
    In fact, one could say that the distinguishing mark of experimental science IS to specify the "error margin".

If you haven't established a sound error margin, you haven't been doing experimental SCIENCE.

7. May 16, 2005 #6
    I truly believe precession not needing to be powered.But it can be used to power the gyro itself.
    The point of my experiment was to check this out and to my amazement the results were the unexpected, precession needs not to be powered is a movement that requires no energy imput

8. May 16, 2005 #7
    I just watched a documental that described how a group of scientists are trying to build a self feeded dynamo, just as the Earth core, that produces the magnetic field which produces electricity fields around the planet that feeds the magnetic field of the earth and so on in a vicious circle.
    And all is done by the Earths melted metal core

9. May 17, 2005 #8
    ...try not watching so much TV, and read some Science books instead - it may help you understand more if you do!

10. May 17, 2005 #9

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

It's like a car wreck...I can't seem to stop watching for his posts.

Must........resist...........

11. May 17, 2005 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Why resist? It's like the Chuck Barris version of "Where's Ivan?" Take it as the guilty pleasure that it is, the way some idiots watch reality shows. :biggrin:

12. May 18, 2005 #11

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yet another aviator sockpuppet banned.

Keep it up, buddy. It takes us three clicks to ban a user, and four to ban an IP.

and there's a lot more of us than there are of you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?