Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I've been plagiarised =)

1. Apr 8, 2004 #1

Another God

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I've been plagiarised!!! =)

:smile:
    I just want to take this chance to brag about the fact that I have been plagiarised! :tongue:

I wrote a simple article for Physicspost sometime last year : http://www.physicspost.com/articles.php?articleId=172

and someone emailed me (I assume from this website: Who were you by the way?) and told me that it had been posted here: http://www.evcforum.net/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000347.html

hehe, how cool is that?
    Do I feel special or what?

See guys, people DO read Physics Post and they DO respect it :wink:

Shane

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2004 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The nerve of that guy! I like how you handled it.

Maybe this isn't the first time you've been plagiarized, just the first you've found out about.

4. Apr 8, 2004 #3

ahrkron

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Welcome back AG, long time no see!

5. Apr 8, 2004 #4
    So much stuff is plagiarized. Like the guy said in Simpsons, "Our whole society is based on plagiarism."

It was hilarious that someone wrote, "Good essay!" as a reply.

You should have quoted him and said:

"Thanks. I wrote that."

6. Apr 8, 2004 #5

Janitor

Science Advisor

Way to go!

Good catch on the plagiarism.

Here is a question for Another God, or for anyone else. If we call 25 years one human generation, why is it that menopause kicks in at the age of about two generations, and death finishes us off at about three generations?

I have never seen any answer to this question, though I am not naive enough to think that biologists/evolutionists have never written on the topic. I just haven't come across it.

I have my own idea on this phenomenon, but I'd like to hear what other people think is the reason.

7. Apr 9, 2004 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A new generation starts at the birth of the child. Apparently that is still on average after 25 years. Historically people wouldn't have become much older than 30-40, so menopause wasn't an issue. Not until that antibiotics were discovered earlier past century did people really start getting much older. Evolution has no effect áfter the reproductive age, because genes that allow you to live a good live are not passed on to the next generation any more than genes that lead you to live a miserable life. If that answers your question..

8. Apr 9, 2004 #7

Another God

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Yeah, I'm still around. Just keeping extra extra busy
    Money and business and stuff like that takes time...I'll be back into it sometime in the future, don't worry about it

9. Apr 9, 2004 #8

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Janitor/Monique - There is some debate (or perhaps it's just discussion) in evolutionary circles about the question "why are there grandparents?" Given our societal nature, having grandparents around can help raise the new generation into adulthood. Helps the survival of that lineage. Why death in 3 generations? We wear out.

A.G. - Congrats on this honor. Now sue the jerk. :wink:

10. Apr 9, 2004 #9
    Contacting the admin... :mad:

Congrats :biggrin:

11. Apr 9, 2004 #10
    I wish someone would plagerize me at least that way I'd know at least one person read something I wrote. Plus they liked it so much they try to pass it off as their own. Wow, that's flattery.
    I don't plagerize people, but I often do the exact opposite. I claim someone said something they never really did.

"There is nothing wrong with being one of a kind, besides, reproductions can never stack up to the original." ~ Dr. C. Xerox

"Sounds good to me! I'll see to it right away." ~H. Keller

Last edited: Apr 9, 2004
  12. Apr 9, 2004 #11

Janitor

Science Advisor

Thanks Monique and Phobos.

My own thought was similar to Monique's. I figured that up until modern times, there was enough disease--and maybe predation by carnivorous animals enters into it, as well as the chances of being finished off by flood, lightning, hurricane-force wind-blown debris, etc.--that so many early humans were killed off before they had been capable of reproducing for much more than a generation, such that evolution had no real cause for extending human lifetime and reproductive time.

Is it true that members other species also tend to die after roughly three generations? Probably I should narrow this question to animal species, since there are trees that live for hundreds of years, casting their seeds to the wind once each year after they achieve some modestly old age such as five years or whatever.

Is it likely there is significant evolutionary pressure in these modern times to extend human lifetimes and reproductive fitness times upwards?

13. Apr 9, 2004 #12

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just did a google search on my PP articles, and found I haven't been plagiarized yet...

Don't know if that makes me happy or sad. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?