Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I've dumped video games for physics

Tags:
  1. Oct 11, 2004 #1
    I've dumped video games for physics....

and chemistry and calculus. Basically I'm concentrating on school and surprisingly having fun with this stuff. Especially Physics. Isn't that cool? :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2004 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Sure, right after Halo 2 and Half-life 2 are released...

4. Oct 11, 2004 #3
    Well, real life is the ultimate videogame...

5. Oct 11, 2004 #4
    I can't agree with that more! After I realized that I quit games cold turkey and began to read a lot more.

Also, Tatum. I would recommend something to you. Every once in awhile, maybe once or twice a week, attempt a very difficult problem. Don't spend too much time unsucessfully manipulating the problem, but check it out, attempt it, and think about it for a while. Come back later, maybe the next day, and try it again. I've discovered that I can do almost any problem I come across this way, as long as I understand the notation and be patient with it.

That's another thing. Understand and memorize the basic postulates, assumptions, results, and definitions. EVERYTHING you do in calculus you will see again. If you already know the basics, you can learn to figure out the most difficult problems on your own.

6. Oct 11, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

After I got hooked to PF...like really hooked, I uninstalled my complete Medal of Honor pack.

Now there simply isn't time for both, so I had to pick one...

7. Oct 12, 2004 #6
    Also, Tatum. I would recommend something to you. Every once in awhile, maybe once or twice a week, attempt a very difficult problem

Thanks. It's funny because I was going to post a physics problem I was having trouble with but now I think I'll just think about it and go over it again.

8. Oct 12, 2004 #7
    Congradulations tatum. Video games are such a waste of time. I can't believe so many people spend massive amounts of time playing video games. I just got digital t.v. because I wanted Tech TV, but all that they talk about on that channel is video games. I just don't get it. I am glad that I got Discovery Science channel with digital cable though.

9. Oct 12, 2004 #8
    Congradulations tatum. Video games are such a waste of time. I can't believe so many people spend massive amounts of time playing video games. I just got digital cable because I wanted Tech TV, but all that they talk about on that channel is video games. I just don't get it. I am glad that I got Discovery Science channel with digital cable though.
    People spend hours playing these video games and they have nothing to show for it, except high scores. But unfortunatly high scores on video games are not going to make you money or make you smarter.

10. Oct 12, 2004 #9
    I used to play a variety of video games; and was actually quite good at many of them.

Now that i have school again, i really can not find much time for uber success in both video games and school. :(

11. Oct 12, 2004 #10
    I used to play a lot of RPG, like "Eye of the Beholder", "Elvira", "lord of the rings", "Ishar",... Also strategy games. Now it's more than a year since i don't play any videogame, and its my will to follow this attittude.

12. Oct 12, 2004 #11
    Are there any cheats for that game? I sure as hell could use some.

13. Oct 12, 2004 #12
    Yeah, there are some; one is: "Get all the money that you can". Unfortunately, life is a videogame that our generation (and the next, and the next) is condemned to lose, at least is how I see it

14. Oct 12, 2004 #13
    I keep telling myself to uninstall all of my video games, but then I say "just one more time" and end up keeping it.

15. Oct 13, 2004 #14

jimmy p

Gold Member

I cant wait for Doom 3 to be out on xbox. I couldnt live without my video games, they are the only things that keep me sane after a crappy day at work.

16. Oct 13, 2004 #15
    Blowing monster's brains out helps keep me sane, too.

17. Oct 13, 2004 #16
    I need video games or else I will explode, that happens to me sometimes...

18. Oct 13, 2004 #17
    So how do you get together again? You implode?

19. Oct 13, 2004 #18
    LOL, it's possible but highly unlikely. :biggrin:

20. Oct 13, 2004 #19

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

Since I sit at my computer all day I don't want to play games there, so I only play PS2, which is why I would add to your list "Call of Duty" (can't wait!) and and the new "Ratchet and Clank."

Maybe for those needing to focus on schoolwork, and after being a bit addicted to video games, it is now a good thing to drop them for awhile and get into one's studies. But I think gaming can be great fun for those who have done their work for the day (whatever that is) and then are able to play. I'm 57 yo now, and some might say it's time to grow up. But I hope I never lose my desire to play (and I don't just mean video games).

21. Oct 13, 2004 #20
    Call of Duty was cool! And it's expansion is supposed to be good too! But even harder, so that you had to do the quests too much. So you should maybe try setting a lower difficulty.

I play little computer games these days, mostly tetris. But I talk way too much on forums. :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?