Relative Time: Earth vs Mars - A Physics Enthusiast's Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time dilation due to the movement of planets and gravity. While there is a small effect, it is not noticeable on a human scale. GPS satellites do take this into account, but it is not significant enough to affect everyday activities such as remembering birthdays.
Wh17e
Hi, everyone.

I'm new here so I'll introduce myself: I'm not a physicist, just a physics enthusiast. Although I have studied some physics at school and college, I've never been taught relativity, which I've kind of learned about on my own.

My question might seem stupid to you, and I apologise if it is, but I've been thinking about this for some time now, and I can't get to the bottom of it. Here's the thing:
The Earth moves at its own orbital speed around the Sun, and so do the other planets in this system. But as they have different distances to the sun, they travel at different speeds. Those speeds relative to the speed at which Earth is moving, I reckon they are pretty big.
So, if we ever were to send people to Mars, would their time grow further and further apart from ours every year?

I apologise in advance for the weird English (I'm not native), and thanks for any answers you might give me.

Physics news on Phys.org
A priori, there is a time dilation effect due to the moving of the planets as well as due to the gravitational time dilation. However, the velocities are actually pretty small compared to the speed of light so the effect is very small. The orbit velocity of Mercury (which is the fastest) is about 0.0001c.

Likes Wh17e
Very, very slightly, yes. But the difference would be overshadowed by the complications of communicating over such a distance and the time differences caused by speeds going to and from Mars, anyway. The difference would probably be un-noticeable.

Likes Wh17e
Orodruin said:
A priori, there is a time dilation effect due to the moving of the planets as well as due to the gravitational time dilation. However, the velocities are actually pretty small compared to the speed of light so the effect is very small. The orbit velocity of Mercury (which is the fastest) is about 0.0001c.
... and relativistic corrections go as ## \sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) ##, which for ## v=0.0001c ## yields a correction of 0.0000005%.

Last edited:
That amount of time dilation is definitely measurable with modern precise clocks, but not noticeable on a "human" scale. I.e. you couldn't use time dilation to pretend that you remembered your brother's birthday and claim that it is just relativity's fault.

DaleSpam said:
you couldn't use time dilation to pretend that you remembered your brother's birthday and claim that it is just relativity's fault.
What? Now I'm in trouble!

Otherwise, with precision clocks if I'm not mistaken GPS sattelites do take into account time dilation, both from speed and gravitational - there might be a thread about this somewhere in the forum. Not sure what their velocity is, though.

Wh17e said:
Hi, everyone.
Those speeds relative to the speed at which Earth is moving, I reckon they are pretty big.
So, if we ever were to send people to Mars, would their time grow further and further apart from ours every year?

A very rough calculation. For something traveling at 10,000 m/s relative to Earth, the time dilation would be about 1.5s per century.

wabbit said:
What? Now I'm in trouble!

Otherwise, with precision clocks if I'm not mistaken GPS sattelites do take into account time dilation, both from speed and gravitational - there might be a thread about this somewhere in the forum. Not sure what their velocity is, though.
Yes it is noticeable with precision clocks. No it is not noticible with birthday cards.

Likes wabbit

What is relative time?

Relative time is a concept in physics that refers to the measurement of time in relation to a specific frame of reference. This means that time is measured based on the position and movement of an observer or object.

How does relative time differ between Earth and Mars?

Relative time on Earth and Mars differs due to the varying speeds and distances from the sun. Mars has a longer orbit around the sun, which means its relative time is slower than Earth's. Additionally, the gravitational pull of Mars is weaker than Earth's, which also affects the measurement of relative time.

Why is it important to understand relative time on Mars?

Understanding relative time on Mars is important for space exploration and communication. The time difference between Earth and Mars can affect the scheduling and coordination of missions, as well as the accuracy of communication between the two planets.

Can the concept of relative time be applied to other planets?

Yes, the concept of relative time can be applied to any object or observer in motion. The relative time on other planets will differ depending on their position and movement in relation to a specific frame of reference.

How do scientists account for relative time when studying celestial bodies?

Scientists use mathematical equations and calculations based on the principles of relativity to account for relative time when studying celestial bodies. They also take into consideration the specific frame of reference and the effects of gravity and speed on time measurement.