Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I've got a secret letter!

1. Feb 27, 2006 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

Do you think I should respond to it? If the story would be true, I'd be a rich person almost overnight! He's told me a story that really makes sense!And right now the only thing I have to do is to respond to the e-mail and let them know if I'm intersted!:cool:(no mention about giving the credit card number or paying money. Not yet of course)

Have you ever recieved 1?

:rofl::rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should respond and try to weasel stuff out of them!

4. Feb 27, 2006 #3

Lisa!

Gold Member

Uh I guess I should. You know the story was really interesting! :biggrin:

5. Feb 27, 2006 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used to get about 10 of those 419 emails a week. It finally slowed down and now I almost never get them.

6. Feb 27, 2006 #5

Lisa!

Gold Member

:rofl: Yeah something like this! I recieve lots of letters of the other kind which I never read, but this 1 was pretty funny! I think they should work on it more, for example he said the money belongs to Mr smith that's a very common name and everyone simply realize the story is totally crap! Anyway I should reply to him and personally thank him for the laugh!

7. Feb 27, 2006 #6

cronxeh

Gold Member

jebus crap GD is turning into Lisa's journal

8. Feb 27, 2006 #7

Lisa!

Gold Member

I dont know why you only have problem with my threads! Most of people around here have the same threads and even more personal. I just wanted to make sure whether I'm missing anything here or not.
    Honestly I want to know what's the problem with you? I'm very curious to know why some people get to hate someone from the first minute they meet that person. In real life it's not surprising but in virtua world it is! (I know some people aroud here really can't stand me and I can understand them since it happened after I posted here alot but there's a difference in your case since you were like this from the bigining):smile:
    So please let me know I'm really curious to know it!

9. Feb 27, 2006 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On a related note, I knew a guy who loved to mess with sales people. If someone called him with a phone soliticitation, he would act as though he was really interested and then put them on hold. After watching TV for a few, he would pick up the phone and apologize for the wait, promise that he would be back in a few minutes with his credit card, and then put the phone down and watch some more TV,. etc.

10. Feb 27, 2006 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

One piece of personal information that you automatically give them when you reply is that this is a valid and active email address. Don't be surprised if you get an increase in spam shortly after responding.

11. Feb 27, 2006 #10
    hey, i never thought of that dave. i replied to the second one of those i ever got, and why yes, i did get a whole lot more after. i never made that connection. some of them are really well written though, and when i'm bored i'll read them...

12. Feb 27, 2006 #11

Lisa!

Gold Member

So you mean I better forget all about it and doesn't respond? Good point, thanks Dave!:smile:

13. Feb 27, 2006 #12
    Actually the fact that they dont get a reply at all, (SMTP error message) is enough for most spammer to know they have a vaild email address.. BUT I wouldnt respond, and just delete them

14. Feb 27, 2006 #13
    Another good point. The only permanent solution to ending spam is creating a private, uncommon e-mail address (like a gmail account) that you only use for corresponding to people you know, and most importantly, never registering on any websites with that e-mail address. My MSN address started this way, but now I get about 3 spam e-mails per day for when I get home. :(

15. Feb 27, 2006 #14

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The best way to avoid spam is to use disposable email addresses. I personally recommend both spamgourmet and zoemail.

- Warren

16. Feb 27, 2006 #15
  17. Feb 27, 2006 #16

Lisa!

Gold Member

Thanks everyone! :smile:

18. Feb 28, 2006 #17

Mk

Thanks for the tip, I'll use spamgourmet and zoemail now too. I use mailinator.com. And my level system. :biggrin: Send me an email to hotmailalternateaddress@hotmail.com (3rd level domain) whydon'tcha? Or another to Mk@physicsforums.com (2nd level domain). Then there is the top level domain that I only use for important things. Top level I check about 25 times per day. I recommend the system.

19. Feb 28, 2006 #18
    Both these have 2nd and top level domain names....

physicsform/hotmail is a 2nd level
    .com is a top level
    hotmailalternateaddress will be an MX record within the 2nd level domain of hotmail

:)

20. Mar 1, 2006 #19

Lisa!

Gold Member

Now another 1 the same story and place but from another email address! :rolleyes: I guess I have to forget all about this account and just use my gmail!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?