Can a Horizontal Shaft Lawnmower Engine Be Used to Build a Go-Kart?

• Thread starter Quadruple Bypass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Work
In summary: The engine you should be looking for is a 3.5hp Briggs & Stratton engine. It's a common engine and there are a lot of parts available for the rest of the drivetrain, like geared centrifugal clutches for the output shaft, live axles, etc, etc.
Quadruple Bypass
so I am thinking about building a go-kart out of a lawn mower engine. i want to build the whole thing, except for the frame and engine.

lately I've been on the lookout for random broken down lawnmowers on the side of the road. my question is will a 2 HP lawnmower engine be strong enough?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If speed is not important 2HP can be geared to work just fine:smile:

RonL said:
If speed is not important 2HP can be geared to work just fine:smile:

its not, its more about the fun and experience. its a shame though, i just read somewhere that lawn mower engines won't work because 'Motors pulled from lawn mowers are usually vertical shafts, and won't work when flipped to a horizontal position without obscene customization.' ill still be on the lookout for lawnmower engines though ;)

Part of the fun, and enjoyment of engineering is learning to change things in order to make them work for you.
Lots of sources for horizontal shaft engines, tillers, and edgers are two. Also you might look at rental stores, and small engine repair shops.
Yard sales are good, some larger cities have freecycle, look it up on the internet and see how close you might be.
And last if money is not a problem, less than $100. can buy a new one (i might be a little behind the times, on this last point)

unfortunately money is a problem lol, but if it is under $100 like you said, then it won't be much of a problem :P

wow nice find. thanks!

Quadruple Bypass said:
its not, its more about the fun and experience. its a shame though, i just read somewhere that lawn mower engines won't work because 'Motors pulled from lawn mowers are usually vertical shafts, and won't work when flipped to a horizontal position without obscene customization.' ill still be on the lookout for lawnmower engines though ;)

Not all lawnmowers have vertical shaft engines. I once made a go-kart using a horizontal shaft 3.5hp Briggs & Stratton engine off my grandma's lawnmower. This is a very common go-kart engine, and there are lots of parts available for the rest of the drivetrain, like geared centrifugal clutches for the output shaft, live axles, etc, etc.

You would probably be able to find a horizontal shaft engine on specialty lawnmowers with belt-drive rotating blades up front, snowblowers, generators (2500W and up), or other power equipment like pressure washers. All of these pieces of equipment use horizontal shaft engines, which should be able to be adapted to a go-kart with some rigging.

This is basically the kind of engine you should be looking for: http://www.jackssmallengines.com/bs35horizontal.html, keep in mind you can buy one of these things brand new for about $270.

Last edited:

1. Why do people get tired of book work?

People can get tired of book work because it can be repetitive and mentally draining. It can also be less engaging and hands-on compared to other forms of learning.

2. How can I stay motivated to continue with book work?

One way to stay motivated is by setting goals and rewarding yourself after completing them. Another way is to find a study partner or group to make the process more enjoyable and keep you accountable.

3. Is book work an effective way to learn?

Yes, book work can be an effective way to learn, especially for subjects that require a lot of theoretical knowledge. However, it may not be the best method for everyone and can be complemented with other forms of learning.

4. What are some tips for making book work more enjoyable?

Some tips for making book work more enjoyable include finding a quiet and comfortable study space, taking breaks regularly, using different study techniques such as summarizing and note-taking, and finding ways to apply the information to real-life situations.

5. How can I improve my retention of information from book work?

To improve retention of information from book work, it is important to actively engage with the material by taking notes, summarizing key points, and self-testing. It can also be helpful to review the material regularly and make connections between different concepts.