I've had a really bad day

  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date

Evo

Mentor
22,863
2,340
Astronuc said:
Lab confirms droppings belong to mountain lion
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2003/dec/10/lab_confirms_droppings/
By Beth Lawton, Wednesday, December 10, 2003
Yep, that's 30 minutes from here.

River corridors are where the game are concentrated.
The river runs near my house.

Cougars (mountain lions) are pretty unmistakable at a close distance, there's no mistaking that one was in my yard last night, we're talking 20-30 feet away from the window.
 

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,553
1,677
Evo said:
Yep, that's 30 minutes from here.

The river runs near my house.

Cougars (mountain lions) are pretty unmistakable at a close distance, there's no mistaking that one was in my yard last night, we're talking 20-30 feet away from the window.
I think you mentioned that someone in the areas raises llamas, or other herbivores. If so, the cougars will definitely be attracted to that area. I guess you'll have to keep the little ones indoors for a few days.
 
1,354
4
Evo said:
Yep, that's 30 minutes from here.

The river runs near my house.

Cougars (mountain lions) are pretty unmistakable at a close distance, there's no mistaking that one was in my yard last night, we're talking 20-30 feet away from the window.

You live in kansas?

I'm so sorry.

Cougars are scary when you run into them in the wild. Which is how I learned not to hike alone anymore.
 

Evo

Mentor
22,863
2,340
Astronuc said:
I think you mentioned that someone in the areas raises llamas, or other herbivores. If so, the cougars will definitely be attracted to that area. I guess you'll have to keep the little ones indoors for a few days.
The guy around the corner has a couple of llamas and some peacocks roaming his property, I need to take a picture of the cool life size bronze of a stag he has on his island.
 
1,354
4
Evo said:
The guy around the corner has a couple of llamas and some peacocks roaming his property, I need to take a picture of the cool life size bronze of a stag he has on his island.

His island?
 

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
110
80
Mountain lions prey on family pets on the West side of our town, too. It's a little more expected, since the West side of town runs right up to the bottom of the Rampart Range.

Sometimes they venture further East. All the parks have warning signs that essentially say, "If your pet is being attacked by a mountain lion, let go of the leash", but with a little more verbiage about the dangers of getting between a mountain lion and its prey.

I used to know someone that worked at the Humane Society and one of most frustrating things she'd encounter is people losing their pet, finally giving up on finding it, adopting a new pet, losing it, giving up and adopting a new pet. She'd look at these West side addresses with horror and know exactly what was happening.
 

Evo

Mentor
22,863
2,340
BobG said:
I used to know someone that worked at the Humane Society and one of most frustrating things she'd encounter is people losing their pet, finally giving up on finding it, adopting a new pet, losing it, giving up and adopting a new pet. She'd look at these West side addresses with horror and know exactly what was happening.
:cry: :cry:

I have a 5 foot tall wood fence around my property, at a cost of $9k, which would normally keep wild animals out, but the kid that does my lawn left the south gate open. I would hope that this animal won't feel like jumping the fence, but of course the fence only goes around the back.
 

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,349
51
Evo said:
Cougars (mountain lions) are pretty unmistakable at a close distance, there's no mistaking that one was in my yard last night, we're talking 20-30 feet away from the window.
Maybe you can call the Wildlife Dept doing that study in Astronuc's article instead of calling police (not sure who else you'd call) who would totally overreact and show up with a hunting party and media. If it's coming that close to the house, someone needs to be notified, and hopefully wildlife officials would try to relocate it rather than shoot it before it learns to hunt people.

I wouldn't worry as much about coyotes (your neighbor with the farm might though). They're really unlikely to go after a full grown human, and they pretty much hunt at night, so as long as you keep all your pets indoors at night, people can coexist with them okay. You would want to keep small children close to the house when they play too, but most parents do that anyway, and since you don't have small children, it's not an issue for you.

As for the spots, yes, get it checked out. You seem to be under a lot of stress lately, so it's quite possible that it's something triggered by stress, or an allergic reaction to something. Hopefully it's not measles or shingles and is just something you can treat with a cream or antihistamine.
 

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,349
51
Evo said:
:cry: :cry:

I have a 5 foot tall wood fence around my property, at a cost of $9k, which would normally keep wild animals out, but the kid that does my lawn left the south gate open. I would hope that this animal won't feel like jumping the fence, but of course the fence only goes around the back.
A 5 ft fence won't even keep IN a housecat, I really don't think it's going to keep OUT a mountain lion.

BobG said:
I used to know someone that worked at the Humane Society and one of most frustrating things she'd encounter is people losing their pet, finally giving up on finding it, adopting a new pet, losing it, giving up and adopting a new pet. She'd look at these West side addresses with horror and know exactly what was happening.
:surprised I'm trying to figure out if those people are complete idiots or totally callous. How can you lose pet after pet in mountain lion country and just shrug it off and get a new one without learning to keep them inside?! :frown: Did anyone at the Human Society ever advise these people about the risks of mountain lions in the area and instruct them to keep their pets indoors and not to let them outdoors unattended, even in a fenced yard?
 

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,553
1,677
If one had the measles, I think one would have a fever. Maybe it's a good time to see one's doctor. I think I remember a comment about someone getting a comprehensive physical.

As for the cougar, I would suggest calling Mark Jakubauskas who did the wildlife survey and ask him to come out and take a look - discretely. Maybe he could collect any evidence.

A 10ft fence won't keep a mountain lion out. They climb trees and I'm pretty sure they can to 8-10 ft vertical.
 

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,948
130
Sorry to hear about your predicament, Evo. Mountain lions are so cute. At least on National Geographic. That's where they ought to stay, in my opinion, not mess about people's fences.
 

Evo

Mentor
22,863
2,340
I think I figured out the spots. Night before last I moved some stones and one had an ant colony under it and a million (yes, I counted them) ants swarmed up my right arm, my first (albeit stupid) reaction was to drop the stone and wipe the ants off on my pany leg, so now I had ants swarming up my leg, i tried to swat them all off, but I kept finding them for awhile. The majority of the "spots" are on my right wrist and forearm. Duh. Ant bites. But why do I have three spots on my forehead? I guess I might have brushed one across my forehead.

Here's my new gardening outfit.
 

Attachments

Bystander

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
5,075
1,074
Dunno how well it'd work, but you might see if you can find some old smudge pots --- fire plus stink might put off the feline interest in your yard. Haven't heard of anything that'll actually discourage mountain lions from exercising their prerogatives once they've decided on a territory, but haven't heard of anyone trying smudge pots either --- might drive you off as well. Construction companies, or "sign(age) services" might still have a few around --- nurseries and orchards'd be the other guess --- probably need a special dispensation from the EPA --- buy an ornamental orange and declare yourself a citrus grove.
 

turbo

Gold Member
3,028
45
Have-a-hart sells noisy reciprocating sprinklers triggered by IR motion detectors. You could run garden hoses in seris from one to another and at least aim them outward from your back fence. They are noisy and will startle the cat and if he is within about 30' he'll get a little wet, too. The sprinklers are $29 each. I bought a different brand last year for almost $60 each, but they have kept the deer out of my garden, so they were well worth it. One 9V battery lasts the whole growing season, and they don't use much water since they only chatter away for a few seconds before entering the 8 second reset mode. Just a thought.

Don't hurt the kitty.
 

Evo

Mentor
22,863
2,340
turbo-1 said:
Have-a-hart sells noisy reciprocating sprinklers triggered by IR motion detectors. You could run garden hoses in seris from one to another and at least aim them outward from your back fence. They are noisy and will startle the cat and if he is within about 30' he'll get a little wet, too. The sprinklers are $29 each. I bought a different brand last year for almost $60 each, but they have kept the deer out of my garden, so they were well worth it. One 9V battery lasts the whole growing season, and they don't use much water since they only chatter away for a few seconds before entering the 8 second reset mode. Just a thought.

Don't hurt the kitty.
Now that's a thought, except my neighbors might get angry when they get near my fence. :rofl: My psycho neighbor has his garden along the north side of my fence. I'd definitely install them on that side. :devil:

Bystander said:
buy an ornamental orange and declare yourself a citrus grove
:rofl:
 

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,701
7
I saw a badger outside the other night!
 

chroot

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
10,166
34
badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger mushroom MUSHROOM

- Warren
 
1,354
4
chroot said:
badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger mushroom MUSHROOM

- Warren

*snicker* *snicker*

Now thats gonna be stuck in my head ALL day.

Thanks a bunch chroot :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:
 

turbo

Gold Member
3,028
45
chroot said:
badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger mushroom MUSHROOM

- Warren
No snake? That's my favorite part!
 
6,171
1,273
Evo said:
Aaarrrggghhhh!!! Those have destroyed my rosebushes this year!!! You cannot kill the suckers. :grumpy:
I wish I could send you my neglect-proof, imortal rose bush. No matter how much I ignore it, it won't die. Maybe it's locust-proof as well.
 
Last edited:

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,349
51
Evo said:
Aaarrrggghhhh!!! Those have destroyed my rosebushes this year!!! You cannot kill the suckers. :grumpy:
These are the years I'm glad I rent and don't have to deal with maintenance of the yard. There's a ton of grasshoppers in addition to the crickets that were around last year. I think they're pretty cute, but that's because I don't have to worry about them eating the landscaping! :biggrin:

I haven't seen any crickets come inside this year with Ember around...I wonder if she's been supplementing her diet when I'm not around? :bugeye:

Hmmm...I don't know if I should ask this here or in the Disney thread, but it just occurred to me...does it bother anyone else that Jiminy Cricket isn't a cricket but a grasshopper? :biggrin: :rofl:
 
352
1
Evo said:
Aaarrrggghhhh!!! Those have destroyed my rosebushes this year!!! You cannot kill the suckers. :grumpy:

Ugh I hate grasshoppers. One year it was so dry that they were just everywhere. There were places on the highway where there were so many that it looked like the road was moving, walking through the hayfield they would be jumping all around you. I always hated riding my motorbike when they were that bad, I was getting pelted with them constantly....those things hurt at 100 km/h and sometimes they get in your clothes....ick. So glad they havent been that bad again!!!!!!!!!!!
 

Dr. Foofer

Can I go out now, Mom? Please?
 
6,171
1,273
Dr. Foofer said:
Can I go out now, Mom? Please?
It's been, like, two hours and Evo hasn't ansered her cat's quetion. Now I'll just be curious all night again as to whether or not she's been eaten.
 

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,553
1,677
I was awoken this morning at 0330 by the sound of a owl hooting. That's one hazard we would have to worry about if were allowed our cats to roam at night.

Owls apparently hunt small rodents, and apparently skunks and possums, which are nocturnal, are favorites. The largest owls (Great Horned) could easily take a cat or small dog. According to what I've read about the 'hooting', it was likely a male Great Horned Owl that I heard last night making his territorial claim.

Evo, I hope your days are going better.

For ant bites, topical Benadryl is good. Oral Benadryl (diphenhydramine HCl - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diphenhydramine) is good also if the reactions to a bite (bites) are stronger than the topical can handle. It is also a sedative and sleep aid, so one must use caution if one is using other aids.
 
Last edited:

Related Threads for: I've had a really bad day

  • Posted
Replies
7
Views
3K
  • Posted
Replies
4
Views
2K
  • Posted
2 3
Replies
58
Views
7K
  • Posted
2
Replies
26
Views
2K
Replies
6
Views
2K
  • Posted
2
Replies
43
Views
6K
  • Posted
Replies
18
Views
8K
Replies
1
Views
1K

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads

Top