I've heard that particle physics is just like taxonomy and botany

In summary, this quote is from a long time ago and pre-dates the Standard Model. It's a quote from Enrico Fermi that suggests that if he knew all the names of the particles, he would be a botanist. This is an old fashioned point of view and is no longer relevant.
TechieDork
TL;DR Summary
Please , provide me some insights
I've heard it from my classmates that particle physics is just like botany or when physics meets taxonomy.
There is even a quote from Enrico Fermi about this

"If I could remember all names of these particles I'd be a botanist"

I just want to know how true is that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Total nonsense (*). Your classmates have no idea. Compare: having a periodic system of the elements doesn't make chemistry just like botany either.

(*) not the Fermi quote -- he just had a hunch there might be a system underneath -- and he was right !

BvU said:
Total nonsense (*). Your classmates have no idea. Compare: having a periodic system of the elements doesn't make chemistry just like botany either.

(*) not the Fermi quote -- he just had a hunch there might be a system underneath -- and he was right !

So, there is a simple principle/rule describing the galore of these particles.

There sure is. 'Standard model' is the search term

Likes pinball1970
Well, let's add some emphasis to Fermi's quote:

TechieDork said:
"If I could remember all names of these particles I [woul]d be a botanist"

so he did not think it was necessary to remember those names (of course, many (particle) physicists still remember a lot of (not fundamental) particle names and properties, just from working with them for a good part of their lifetime).

Likes TechieDork
BvU said:
There sure is. 'Standard model' is the search term

You mean...

images - 2019-10-15T184516.051.jpeg

Source : SymmetryMagazine
I hope I don't have to memorize this for my graduate class.

Go do botany :wink:

TechieDork said:
I hope I don't have to memorize this for my graduate class.
You don't have to. It's the particle physics equivalent of writing "13+5+17+26+39" instead of writing 100. Here is a more compact version:

SMLagrangian-768x443.png

If you learn some QFT and learn the meaning of these terms it is quite easy to remember.

The Standard Model has 19 free parameters, add 7 from neutrino mixing and you have everything you need to describe the fundamental interactions in every experiment ever done on Earth. That's 26 parameters we need to measure, and thousands of values we can calculate based on these 26 parameters.

Fermi's quote is from 1963 or earlier, by the way, before the Standard Model was developed. At that time people found more and more hadrons, but didn't understand how to describe them in a unified way. That's one of the big things the Standard Model provided.

Likes dextercioby, pinball1970, Klystron and 2 others
mfb said:
Fermi's quote is from 1963 or earlier

I hope it's before he died in 1954! The alternative is frightening.

Actually, I doubt he said this. So far as I can tell, it only occurs in talk introductions by Lederman, who was very fond of, well, let's call them tall tales.

Likes dextercioby, berkeman and BvU
TechieDork said:
I've heard it from my classmates that particle physics is just like botany or when physics meets taxonomy.
This is an old fashioned point of view, probably from the '70s, when particle after particle were discovered and a unifying description hadn't been found yet. Now we have such a description: quantum chromodynamics and quantum electrodynamics.

Likes Klystron
Vanadium 50 said:
I hope it's before he died in 1954! The alternative is frightening.

Actually, I doubt he said this. So far as I can tell, it only occurs in talk introductions by Lederman, who was very fond of, well, let's call them tall tales.
Oh, didn't know he died so early. I found this mentioned 1963, so no matter who said it: The quote predates the SM.

Griffiths' "Introduction to Elementary Particles" contains a nice history of the particle zoo and the path to the Standard Model.

Likes dextercioby
TechieDork said:
Summary: Please , provide me some insights

There is even a quote from Enrico Fermi about this

"If I could remember all names of these particles I'd be a botanist"

I just want to know how true is that.
Reminds of the below.
'That which cannot be measured is not Science, Science that is not physics is just stamp collecting.'
Rutherford I think.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern their interactions. It involves studying particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons, as well as smaller particles like quarks and leptons.

2. How is particle physics related to taxonomy and botany?

Particle physics and taxonomy/botany are both fields of science that involve categorizing and classifying objects. In particle physics, particles are categorized based on their properties, such as mass and charge. Similarly, in taxonomy and botany, organisms are classified based on their characteristics.

3. What are the differences between particle physics and taxonomy/botany?

While both fields involve categorization, particle physics and taxonomy/botany differ in the objects they study. Particle physics focuses on subatomic particles, while taxonomy and botany focus on living organisms. Additionally, the methods and tools used in each field are different.

4. How does particle physics contribute to our understanding of the natural world?

Particle physics helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and how the universe works at its most basic level. It has led to groundbreaking discoveries, such as the existence of the Higgs boson, and has practical applications in fields such as medicine and technology.

5. Is particle physics a difficult field to study?

Particle physics can be a challenging field to study due to its complex mathematical and theoretical concepts. However, with dedication and hard work, it can be a rewarding and exciting field to pursue. It also requires collaboration and teamwork, as many experiments and discoveries in particle physics involve large teams of scientists working together.