1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I've hit an electromagnetic wall -- how to perform a seperation of variables on laplace equation

1. Oct 21, 2014 #1
    So I'm currently taking electricity and magnetism and I'm expected to know how to perform a seperation of variables on laplace equation in 2 dimensions.I have taken Zero differntial equations courses and I literally have no freaking idea what's going on. The book I use doesn't spend any time explaining the basics of seperation of variables. Is there a fast track way of understanding this special case or am I going to have to cram half a semester of diff eq for this to make any sense?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2014 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Do the prerequisites for the course include differential equations, or some other course like math methods that would include some differential equations? If not, then I think you should raise this issue with the instructor (politely, of course).

4. Oct 21, 2014 #3
    It does require a modeling class. I don't remember doing this in class but it was all so hand wavy I didn't pay too close attention. I'll check my book. Thanks for the insight

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook