Solved: IVP and DE Problem

• Thread starter Sheneron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ivp
In summary, the first problem involves finding a solution to the initial value problem of y" = -9y, y'(0) = 3, and y(0) = 6. The solution can be found by using the characteristic equation and finding the eigenvalues, which will be imaginary and equal to +-3i. Then, using Euler's formula, the general solution can be found as y = c1*sin(3t) + c2*cos(3t). The second problem involves checking if the given function y(x) = (21+6x)^1/3 is a solution to the differential equation y' = 2/y^2. This can be done by finding the derivative of y' and pl
Sheneron
[SOLVED] IVP and DE problem

Homework Statement

1) Find a solution to the IVP y" = -9y, y'(0) = 3, and y(0) = 6

2) Is y(x) = (21+6x)^1/3 a solution to the DE y' = 2/y^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one I think it has something to do with sin/cos but I don't know what to do. As for the second one maybe something with y=Ae^kt. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
for 2)

If i use the power rule and take the derivative, I get 2(21+6x)^-2/3. But that is so far from the question I feel like it can't be right.

Last edited:
You have to find the characteristic equation for the first one, and find the eigenvalues. They will be imaginary and equal to +- 3i ( i think). Then you can set up a general solution

y = e^3it. Expand this with euler's formula to get sin and cos terms. Then take the derivative of y. At this point you have 2 equations and 2 ivp's, which you can solve.

I am in chapter 3 of calc 1, and we haven't learned about eigenvalues or Euler's formula yet. Is there any other way to do this?

What kind of stuff have you been going over? the only other way that i could see doing this is by guessing. You know that the second derivative of a trig function will be the same trig function with opposite sign. if you guess y = sin(3t), y'' = -9sin(3t) which equals -9y.

I think that is what we were supposed to do, just guess at it. So thanks for your help there. Can you help me any with number 2?

for the second problem, you just need to find the derivative of y' and plug y and y' into the given equation. If you get a true statement (0 = 0), then it is a solution.

y' = 1/3(21+6x)^(-2/3)*6 = 2/(21+6x)^(2/3) = 2/y^2. So, its a solution.

The main point of solving these problems is to go from an equation with derivatives of y to just an equation of y. To check if you have the solution, you have to take the various derivatives and plug them into the equation. If you have found the correct solution for y, you will get a true statement. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Yes that all helps a lot thank you. One minor question though about the first one.

We are given that y(0) = 6, and we know that y=sin(3t), and when you plug in 0 you get 0. So would the final solution be y= sin(3t) + 6?

the general solution for the first one will look like so:

y = c1*sin(3t) + c2*cos(3t) (i only said sin in my earlier post, but you should be able to see that cos would also work). The constants are the coefficients in front of those terms, and you can check to make sure that they work (i didnt check, but I'm pretty sure that's how it should go). So, to find the solution to the IVP, you take the derivative of y to get

y' = 3c1*cos(3t) - 3c2*sin(3t).

now you have to unknowns(c1 and c2) and 2 equations, and 2 intitial problems. from here you just have to plug things in and you will get the values of the constants. Your solution to the ivp will be the solution for y above with the constants being actual values.

Alright,
Thank you for your help

What is an IVP and DE problem?

An IVP (initial value problem) and DE (differential equation) problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the solution to a differential equation, given a set of initial conditions. The solution to an IVP and DE problem is a function that satisfies both the differential equation and the initial conditions.

How do you solve an IVP and DE problem?

To solve an IVP and DE problem, you must first identify the type of differential equation and the order of the equation. Then, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors to find the solution. The solution must also satisfy the initial conditions given in the problem.

What are some common types of IVP and DE problems?

Some common types of IVP and DE problems include first-order linear differential equations, second-order linear differential equations, and systems of differential equations. These types of problems can arise in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

Why are IVP and DE problems important?

IVP and DE problems are important because they can model real-world phenomena and allow us to make predictions and understand the behavior of complex systems. They are also used in many fields of science and engineering to solve practical problems and develop new technologies.

What are some techniques for verifying the solution to an IVP and DE problem?

One technique for verifying the solution to an IVP and DE problem is to substitute the solution into the original differential equation and initial conditions and check if it satisfies them. Another technique is to use graphical methods such as slope fields or phase portraits to visualize the behavior of the solution and compare it to the given initial conditions.