1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IVT problem from Spivak

1. Aug 9, 2008 #1

I have the 4th edition of Spivak's Calculus. Problem 13(b) in Chapter 7 says:

Suppose that f satisfies the conclusion of the Intermediate Value Theorem, and that f takes on each value only once. Prove that f is continuous.

Well, what about this function:

f(1) = 2
    f(2) = 1
    f(x) = x for all other x

And if you look at this on the interval [0, 3] then certainly for every c between f(0)=0 and f(3)=3 there is an x such that f(x)=c, so the IVT conclusion is satisfied. And f takes on each value only once. But f isn't continuous.

So isn't this a counterexample to what I'm supposed to prove?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2008 #2
    You're right, the converse of the intermediate value theorem is not true. Since your function is discontinuous, it works as a counterexample. There might be a misprint?
  4. Aug 9, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, that's not a counter example. Suppose a= 0 and b= 1/4. Then the intermediate value theorem says that f must take on all values between f(a)= f(0)= 2 and f(b)= f(1/4)= 1/4 for some x between 0 and 1/4. But that is not true. For example, 1.5 is between 2 and 1/4 but f(x) is never equal to 1.5 between them. f does not "satisfy the intermediate value theorem".
  5. Aug 9, 2008 #4

f(0) is not 2 but I see what you are saying.

I took it to mean that I was supposed to prove essentially this:

If for a function f and an interval [a, b], for any c between f(a) and f(b) there is some x in [a, b] such that f(x) = c and f takes on each value only once, then f is continuous on [a, b].

But apparently I was supposed to hold the hypothesis to be true for any interval, not just a specific one...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?