Will multi-core processors reach their limit with Intel's new Ivy Bridge?

• Thread starter FishmanGeertz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bridge
In summary, Intel is allegedly releasing a new die for their Ivy Bridge processors, which is a shrinking of the Sandy Bridge architecture. This seems legit, other sources are saying the same thing, so yeah, Ivy Bridge is happening. However, I don't see how things like PC games could utilize the power of 16 cores/32 threads. The only thing which would really benefit from that much CPU horsepower are things like HD video encoding and CAD. Hopefully never.
FishmanGeertz
I think it's a little early for a die shot of the 8-16 core Intel "Ivy Bridge" processor, but this is an alleged photo.

IvyBridge.jpg

Is it real?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Whats the source of the image?

KrisOhn said:
Whats the source of the image?

http://mtmcv.com/intel-plans-new-factory-in-the-u-s-the-modernization-of-other-22nm-tech/

Last edited by a moderator:
All the Ivy Bridge is, is a shrinking of the Sandy Bridge architecture. This seems legit, other sources are saying the same thing, so yeah, Ivy Bridge is happening.

Whether that is a legitimate picture of the new die, I couldn't tell you.

KrisOhn said:
All the Ivy Bridge is, is a shrinking of the Sandy Bridge architecture. This seems legit, other sources are saying the same thing, so yeah, Ivy Bridge is happening.

Whether that is a legitimate picture of the new die, I couldn't tell you.

I thought the Ivy Bridge was an entirely new micro-architecture.

What about Haswell and Rockwell?

Ivy Bridge is just a shrink of Sandy Bridge. From 32nm to 22nm.

Haswell and Rockwell should be entirely new architecture.

KrisOhn said:
Ivy Bridge is just a shrink of Sandy Bridge. From 32nm to 22nm.

Haswell and Rockwell should be entirely new architecture.

When will we see 16-core chips?

Hopefully never.

I feel the industry is coming up against another wall just like they did in the pre-dual core era, when they were just trying to get chips to run higher and higher clock speeds to get them faster, they were coming up against a limit of how far they could push the chips. Now they're just shoving more and more cores onto the chips to get them faster... we need another break like we had when the dual cores came out.

Edit: wooo, post 100.

KrisOhn said:
Hopefully never.

I feel the industry is coming up against another wall just like they did in the pre-dual core era, when they were just trying to get chips to run higher and higher clock speeds to get them faster, they were coming up against a limit of how far they could push the chips. Now they're just shoving more and more cores onto the chips to get them faster... we need another break like we had when the dual cores came out.

Edit: wooo, post 100.

I don't see how things like PC games could utilize the power of 16 cores/32 threads. The only thing which would really benefit from that much CPU horsepower are things like HD video encoding and CAD.

With Nvidia "CUDA" CPU tasks are being handed to the computationally superior GPU. The difference in speed is like day and night. Most high-end GPU's have teraflop (trillions of calculations per second) computing power. CPU's don't have TFLOP power, yet.

1. Will multi-core processors become obsolete with the release of Intel's new Ivy Bridge?

No, multi-core processors will not become obsolete with the release of Intel's new Ivy Bridge. In fact, Ivy Bridge processors will have up to 8 cores, making them even more advanced and powerful than previous processors.

2. How many cores will Intel's new Ivy Bridge processors have?

Ivy Bridge processors will have up to 8 cores. This is an increase from the previous generation, which had up to 6 cores.

3. Will multi-core processors reach their maximum potential with Intel's new Ivy Bridge?

No, multi-core processors will not reach their maximum potential with Intel's new Ivy Bridge. While Ivy Bridge processors will have more cores, there is always room for improvement and advancements in processor technology.

4. How will Intel's new Ivy Bridge processors affect multi-tasking and performance?

Intel's new Ivy Bridge processors will greatly improve multi-tasking and overall performance. With more cores, the processor can handle multiple tasks simultaneously, leading to faster and more efficient processing.

5. Will there be any compatibility issues with existing software and Intel's new Ivy Bridge processors?

No, there should not be any compatibility issues with existing software and Intel's new Ivy Bridge processors. Ivy Bridge processors will still be compatible with previous software and operating systems.