Non-US Citizen Admission to Ivy League Schools

In summary, it's very competitive to get into an Ivy League school as a non-US citizen. You need to improve your English significantly, and being from an exotic country may help. There is rumored to be a Jewish quota, and Dartmouth is not interested in astronomy.)
Salman Ranjha
How much difficult it is for a Non US citizen to get into IVY league..?? (Other than Dartmouth)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's very competitive. It's probably safe to say that you need to improve your English substantially to have a chance.

Vanadium 50 said:
It's very competitive. It's probably safe to say that you need to improve your English substantially to have a chance.

That is true. I went to Harvard, and all the foreign students spoke perfect English.

I CAN tell you that coming from an exotic country would be a big advantage in admissions. Canadian or UK citizenship wouldn't help, but Madagascar, Sierra Leone, Maldive Islands, Bolivia, Viet Nam, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Malawi, anything like that, I think if you were minimally qualified they'd take you. Even France or Germany might do it.

It's harder than for domestic applicants, but it also depends on if the school is need blind for international students. Not all are. The ones that are however wilol not admit many international students since they usually want to save financial aid for domestic students.

Hornbein said:
I CAN tell you that coming from an exotic country would be a big advantage in admissions.

Why do you say that? And in particular what is "exotic" about France or Germany?

Vanadium 50 said:
Why do you say that? And in particular what is "exotic" about France or Germany?
France or Germany is a lot more exotic than New York City. Being a citizen of NYC would be a disadvantage on a Harvard application. They want diversity, and they get it.

It is widely rumored that there is a Jewish quota. I believe it.

Well, I only have access to the MIT numbers, and they have taken 1 French and 1 German undergrad. No Austrians, Hungarians or Slovenians in 4 years. Nobody from Madagascar, Sierra Leone, the Maldives or Sri Lanka. One from Bolivia, 6 from Indonesia and 8 from Vietnam. The countries with the largest representations are China, South Korea, Canada, India, and Mexico.

my non us classmates at an ivy league school tended to be olympic athletes. so if you were on a medal winning soccer or swimming team you will probably get in.

Salman Ranjha said:
(Other than Dartmouth)

Just curious, why not Dartmouth?

gmax137 said:
Just curious, why not Dartmouth?
Cause I'm interested in astronomy and Dartmouth don't offer it...:'(

1. What are the requirements for non-US citizens to be admitted to Ivy League schools?

The requirements for non-US citizens to be admitted to Ivy League schools are generally the same as those for US citizens. This includes a strong academic record, extracurricular involvement, letters of recommendation, and a compelling personal statement. Additionally, non-US citizens may need to demonstrate proficiency in English and obtain a student visa.

2. Are there any specific scholarships or financial aid options for non-US citizens at Ivy League schools?

Yes, many Ivy League schools offer need-based financial aid to international students. However, these funds are limited and highly competitive. It is important to research and apply for scholarships specifically for non-US citizens as well.

3. Is it more difficult for non-US citizens to be admitted to Ivy League schools?

While being a non-US citizen may present some unique challenges, such as obtaining a student visa and potentially needing to demonstrate proficiency in English, it is not necessarily more difficult to be admitted to an Ivy League school as a non-US citizen. Admissions decisions are based on a holistic review of each applicant, and being a non-US citizen may bring diversity and different perspectives to the student body.

4. Are there any differences in the application process for non-US citizens applying to Ivy League schools?

The application process for non-US citizens is generally the same as for US citizens, with some additional requirements such as proof of English proficiency and obtaining a student visa. Some schools may also require international students to submit additional financial documentation.

5. Are there any resources available for non-US citizens to learn more about the admissions process at Ivy League schools?

Yes, there are many resources available for non-US citizens to learn more about the admissions process at Ivy League schools. These include the schools' international admissions websites, online communities and forums, and guidance counselors at your current school or local education agencies. It is also helpful to reach out to current or former international students at the schools you are interested in for their insights and advice.