1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ivy league

1. Oct 4, 2015 #1
    How much difficult it is for a Non US citizen to get into IVY league..?? (Other than Dartmouth)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's very competitive. It's probably safe to say that you need to improve your English substantially to have a chance.

4. Oct 4, 2015 #3
    That is true. I went to Harvard, and all the foreign students spoke perfect English.

I CAN tell you that coming from an exotic country would be a big advantage in admissions. Canadian or UK citizenship wouldn't help, but Madagascar, Sierra Leone, Maldive Islands, Bolivia, Viet Nam, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Malawi, anything like that, I think if you were minimally qualified they'd take you. Even France or Germany might do it.

5. Oct 4, 2015 #4

radium

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's harder than for domestic applicants, but it also depends on if the school is need blind for international students. Not all are. The ones that are however wilol not admit many international students since they usually want to save financial aid for domestic students.

6. Oct 4, 2015 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why do you say that? And in particular what is "exotic" about France or Germany?

7. Oct 4, 2015 #6

France or Germany is a lot more exotic than New York City. Being a citizen of NYC would be a disadvantage on a Harvard application. They want diversity, and they get it.

It is widely rumored that there is a Jewish quota. I believe it.

8. Oct 4, 2015 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Well, I only have access to the MIT numbers, and they have taken 1 French and 1 German undergrad. No Austrians, Hungarians or Slovenians in 4 years. Nobody from Madagascar, Sierra Leone, the Maldives or Sri Lanka. One from Bolivia, 6 from Indonesia and 8 from Vietnam. The countries with the largest representations are China, South Korea, Canada, India, and Mexico.

9. Oct 5, 2015 #8

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

my non us classmates at an ivy league school tended to be olympic athletes. so if you were on a medal winning soccer or swimming team you will probably get in.

10. Oct 5, 2015 #9
    Just curious, why not Dartmouth?

11. Oct 5, 2015 #10
    Cause I'm interested in astronomy and Dartmouth don't offer it...:'(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook