1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

J(dot)E = Work/Volume

1. Aug 14, 2011 #1
    Hey guys,
    So I know I'm missing something really stupid, but I can't figure out what it is.
    I'm seeing the claim that the current density dotted with the Electric field is equal to Work per volume, or: J.E = W/V. Using dimensional analysis though, I keep getting an extra unit of seconds on the left hand side of the denominator:
    (Cm/m^3s)(N/C) = J/(m^3)
    Nm/sm^3 = J/m^3
    J/sm^3 = J/m^3

What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks,
    Ari

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2011 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I get the same answer as you using the fact that the electric field has dimensions of voltage / length. Then J*E becomes

[C/(sm2)] * V/m

= (C*J/C)*m-3s-1

= Jm-3s-1

Where exactly are you "seeing this claim?"

4. Aug 15, 2011 #3
    W isn't "work" ,it's work/t(its dimension is J/s),you mistakes at this

5. Aug 15, 2011 #4
    Yeah J dot E is power per unit volume. That's usually the starting point for deriving expressions for the poynting vector and the energy density in the field.

6. Aug 15, 2011 #5
    Ahh Power/Volume. Thanks. I had seen this claim on a flashcard, I'm preparing for GRE's and got a bunch of flash cards sent from a school to help me. Must be a typo on their part then.

Ari

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook