Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

J-K Flip Flop wave forms

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1
    I understand that the truth table involved, and how it works, but i don't get the timing of the diagrams. Ive looked on numerous internet sites and through many books but i still don't understand how when J=K=0 and CLK= up, with Q having no change, that the out put (Q) is up, when the others are down. My confusion continues throughout the entire waveform, mostly i believe, as i do not understand the timings of the CLK.

Is there a set time of CLK between each of the inputs? Basically, i would just like a straight answer to explain to me how the waveform works:)
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

Note that transitions in the flip-flop state occur only on the rising clock edge, not when the clock is stable. Additionally, the particular case you ask about, J=K=0 with a rising clock edge (and not a HIGH clock) holds the present state of the flip-flop. J=K=1 with a rising clock edge causes the flip-flop state to toggle. Why? That's the defined function of the J-K flip-flop.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?