1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

J-K Flip Flop wave forms

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1
    I understand that the truth table involved, and how it works, but i don't get the timing of the diagrams. Ive looked on numerous internet sites and through many books but i still don't understand how when J=K=0 and CLK= up, with Q having no change, that the out put (Q) is up, when the others are down. My confusion continues throughout the entire waveform, mostly i believe, as i do not understand the timings of the CLK.

Is there a set time of CLK between each of the inputs? Basically, i would just like a straight answer to explain to me how the waveform works:)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2008 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip-flop_(electronics)#JK_flip-flop

Note that transitions in the flip-flop state occur only on the rising clock edge, not when the clock is stable. Additionally, the particular case you ask about, J=K=0 with a rising clock edge (and not a HIGH clock) holds the present state of the flip-flop. J=K=1 with a rising clock edge causes the flip-flop state to toggle. Why? That's the defined function of the J-K flip-flop.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?