Calculate J Notation Impedance of Network w/ Capacitor & Inductor

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the J notation Impedance of a network consisting of a capacitor, inductor, and resistor. The product/sum of the parallel circuit is given by jwL x 1/jwC/jwL*1/jwC, which is added to R and -j(1/wC). The question arises as to why the first j is on the bottom in the equation while the second is on the top, and how this affects the final solution.
lubo

Homework Statement

We have a capacitor in parallel with an inductor. These are both in series with a resistor and capacitor.

Calculate the J notation Impedance of the network. I only want the initial basic solution.

The problem I have is that sometimes the J notation of C is -ve and sometimes +ve ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Product/sum of the parallel cct:

jwL x 1/jwC/jwL*1/jwC This is the Inductor and capacitor impedance equation.

The above will be added to:

R -j(1/wC)

My question is therefore, why in the above example at product over sum would it be ok to say jwL x 1/jwC/jwL*1/jwC i.e. * a +ve 1/jwC

When below it I can add it to R and -j(1/wC)

I hope this makes sence, thanks for any help in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi lubo! :smile:
lubo said:
My question is therefore, why in the above example at product over sum would it be ok to say jwL x 1/jwC/jwL*1/jwC i.e. * a +ve 1/jwC

When below it I can add it to R and -j(1/wC)

ah, but the first j is on the bottom, while the second is on the top …

and -j = 1/j :wink:

1. What is the purpose of calculating the J Notation Impedance of a network with a capacitor and inductor?

The J Notation Impedance is a way of representing the complex impedance of a circuit, which includes both a real and imaginary component. By calculating this impedance for a network with a capacitor and inductor, we can determine the overall resistance, reactance, and phase angle of the circuit. This information is important for understanding the behavior of the circuit and designing effective electrical systems.

2. How is the J Notation Impedance calculated?

The J Notation Impedance is calculated using the formula Z = R + jX, where R is the resistance, X is the reactance, and j is the imaginary unit. To calculate the impedance of a network with a capacitor and inductor, we use the capacitance and inductance values along with the frequency of the input signal. The resulting impedance will be a complex number, with the real part representing the resistance and the imaginary part representing the reactance.

3. What factors affect the J Notation Impedance of a network with a capacitor and inductor?

The J Notation Impedance is affected by several factors, including the capacitance and inductance values, the frequency of the input signal, and the overall design and layout of the circuit. Additionally, the presence of other components in the circuit, such as resistors or other capacitors and inductors, can also impact the impedance.

4. How does the J Notation Impedance of a network with a capacitor and inductor differ from a simple resistance value?

The J Notation Impedance takes into account both the real and imaginary components of the circuit, while a simple resistance value only considers the real component. This means that the J Notation Impedance provides a more complete understanding of the circuit's behavior, including factors such as phase angle and reactance, which cannot be determined from a simple resistance value.

5. What are some practical applications of calculating the J Notation Impedance of a network with a capacitor and inductor?

The J Notation Impedance is used in a variety of applications, including designing and analyzing electrical circuits, troubleshooting issues in existing circuits, and predicting the behavior of electrical systems. It is also commonly used in fields such as telecommunications, power distribution, and electronic design. Understanding the J Notation Impedance of a network with a capacitor and inductor is essential for ensuring the efficient and effective operation of these systems.