1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

J/psi meson detection

1. Dec 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See Image
    The bit about Spectral lines, I couldn't explain why

2. Relevant equations
    ΔEΔt≈h

3. The attempt at a solution
    I expected the histogram to peak at the given mass in question and to have a width of about 0.08 MeV calculated as ΔE from the Energy-time uncertainty, but I don't understand how the standard deviation is 52±3 in the CMS graph, this is so far away from my calculation, plus, is this the only difference? I would also suspect that i misunderstood the question maybe. I haven't dealt with such graphs before!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you measure the length of something that is exactly 1.381352413243543 meters long with a ruler, do you expect a result of 1.381352413243543 meters? What would actually happen?

The same happens in the CMS measurement, just for different reasons because it is not a length measurement.

The larger width is not the only difference, the shape looks different as well, and there are at least two things you can find (although I'm not sure if the teacher expects those).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted