1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

J shock in a gas for gamma = 7/5

1. Jan 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the case of a strong shock propagating into a gas with [tex]\gamma=7/5[/tex] What is the ratio [tex]\rho2/\rho1[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\rho\ u=constant[/tex]

[tex]P+ \rho\ u^2=constant[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2} u+ \frac{\gamma }{\gamma -1}\frac{\ P}{\rho} = constant [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I can use the 3 equations in this form to get [tex]\rho2/\rho1=6[/tex] but my problem is how do I arrive at the 3rd equation in the given form

we were given equation 3 in the form [tex]\frac{1}{2} u+ \frac{5}{2}\frac{\ P}{\rho} = constant [/tex] but this is only valid for [tex]\gamma=\frac{5}{3}[/tex]

I would like some advice on how to prove the adaption of equation 3 for different values of [tex]\gamma[/tex]
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2
    Hi oro,

Apologies but I don't quite understand what you're question is. If you wanted to solve the Rankine-Hugoniot condition for energy flow for something other than a monatomic gas, what's the problem with just plugging in a different value of [tex]\gamma[/tex] into equation 3 in your list?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?