1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jackson Eq. 5.33 (3rd Ed.)

1. Dec 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I cant seem to figure out how he writes down this equation. Specifically:
    a. Isn't Theta' = 90 degrees. Then why doesn't he write it out explicitly.
    b. Whats the use of adding the Sin(Theta') if he is going to use a delta function using the Cos
    c. What is the radius 'a' doing there. If the wire has no thickness, shouldn't the magnitude of J equal I.
    d. Shouldn't J=I/Area^2 in terms of units.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because it's more convenient to write the measure as

[tex]\delta(\cos \theta') d(\cos \theta')[/tex]

rather than

[tex]\sin \theta' \delta(\theta') d\theta'[/tex]

It saves a lot of time, trust me.

The current loop is in the x-y plane, where

[tex]\sin \theta' = 1[/tex]

which is the same as

[tex]\cos \theta' = 0[/tex]

I suppose he could have technically left out the sin(theta) and just put in 1 (just as he puts in 1/a instead of 1/r). However, perhaps he put it in so that the formula would be easier to generalize.

No. The integral of J over its cross-sectional area should equal I. That is:

[tex]I = \iint_R r \; dr \; d(\cos \theta) \; I \delta(\cos \theta) \frac{\delta(r-a)}{a}[/tex]

where R is some vertical region that cuts across part of the wire. So you see, the 1/a is essential to give the correct value of I.

Yes, and it is. Or rather, J = I/Area. Remember that delta functions carry reciprocal units. So you get 1/L from the factor of 1/a, and another 1/L from the factor of [itex]\delta(r' - a)[/itex].

4. Dec 8, 2008 #3
    Thanks a lot :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?