What are the Confusing Aspects of Jackson Eq. 5.33 (3rd Ed.)?

• Thread starter shehry1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jackson
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a delta function in an equation involving a current loop in the x-y plane. The speaker explains that it is more convenient to use the measure \delta(\cos \theta') d(\cos \theta') instead of \sin \theta' \delta(\theta') d\theta'. They also clarify the purpose of the sin(theta) term and the necessity of the radius 'a' in the equation. Finally, the units of J are discussed, with the conclusion that J = I/Area in terms of units.
shehry1

Homework Statement

I can't seem to figure out how he writes down this equation. Specifically:
a. Isn't Theta' = 90 degrees. Then why doesn't he write it out explicitly.
b. Whats the use of adding the Sin(Theta') if he is going to use a delta function using the Cos
c. What is the radius 'a' doing there. If the wire has no thickness, shouldn't the magnitude of J equal I.
d. Shouldn't J=I/Area^2 in terms of units.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
shehry1 said:

Homework Statement

I can't seem to figure out how he writes down this equation. Specifically:
a. Isn't Theta' = 90 degrees. Then why doesn't he write it out explicitly.

Because it's more convenient to write the measure as

[tex]\delta(\cos \theta') d(\cos \theta')[/tex]

rather than

[tex]\sin \theta' \delta(\theta') d\theta'[/tex]

It saves a lot of time, trust me.

b. Whats the use of adding the Sin(Theta') if he is going to use a delta function using the Cos

The current loop is in the x-y plane, where

[tex]\sin \theta' = 1[/tex]

which is the same as

[tex]\cos \theta' = 0[/tex]

I suppose he could have technically left out the sin(theta) and just put in 1 (just as he puts in 1/a instead of 1/r). However, perhaps he put it in so that the formula would be easier to generalize.

c. What is the radius 'a' doing there. If the wire has no thickness, shouldn't the magnitude of J equal I.

No. The integral of J over its cross-sectional area should equal I. That is:

[tex]I = \iint_R r \; dr \; d(\cos \theta) \; I \delta(\cos \theta) \frac{\delta(r-a)}{a}[/tex]

where R is some vertical region that cuts across part of the wire. So you see, the 1/a is essential to give the correct value of I.

d. Shouldn't J=I/Area^2 in terms of units.

Yes, and it is. Or rather, J = I/Area. Remember that delta functions carry reciprocal units. So you get 1/L from the factor of 1/a, and another 1/L from the factor of [itex]\delta(r' - a)[/itex].

Thanks a lot :)

1. What is Jackson Eq. 5.33 (3rd Ed.)?

Jackson Eq. 5.33 (3rd Ed.) is a mathematical equation found in the third edition of the book "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson. It is used to calculate the magnetic field produced by a moving point charge.

2. How is Jackson Eq. 5.33 (3rd Ed.) derived?

The equation is derived using Maxwell's equations and the Lorentz force law, which describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields and the motion of charged particles.

3. What are the units of measurement for the variables in Jackson Eq. 5.33 (3rd Ed.)?

The units of measurement for the variables in the equation depend on the unit system being used. In the SI (International System of Units), the magnetic field is measured in Tesla (T), the charge is measured in Coulomb (C), and the velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s).

4. What is the significance of Jackson Eq. 5.33 (3rd Ed.)?

This equation is significant because it allows us to calculate the magnetic field produced by a moving charge, which is essential for understanding and predicting many phenomena in electromagnetism, such as the behavior of electric motors and generators.

5. How is Jackson Eq. 5.33 (3rd Ed.) applied in real-world situations?

Jackson Eq. 5.33 (3rd Ed.) is applied in various fields, including electrical engineering, physics, and materials science. For example, it is used to design and optimize magnetic devices, such as MRI machines, and to study the behavior of charged particles in different materials.