1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jackson Question

1. Jun 26, 2009 #1
    Can someone explain to me how Jackson, on page 42 of the 3rd ed. of Classical Electrodynamics, when he is deriving the interaction energy [tex]W_{int}[/tex] in his example involving two point charges, gets from equation (1.57) to (1.58). I thought about typing up the TeX but I'm sure most of you have this book. I know he makes that substitution he mentions but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2009 #2

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I keep my copy of Jackson at the office and not at home. I do not need him to pervade my life any more than is possible.

4. Jun 27, 2009 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Some of us are old and have earlier editions of Jackson. Presumably the equation numbering is different.

5. Jun 27, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's just a straight substitution: Solve for [itex]\mathbf{x}[/itex] in terms of [itex]\mathbf{\rho}[/itex], and substitute. If you get stuck, post your work and we'll be able to help you better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook