Help with Reducing an Equation into Jacobi Identity Form

In summary, the student is having trouble understanding the dual of the operator on the form of function F used in a previous problem.
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Reduce the equation [tex] \partial_\mu {*} F^{\mu \nu} = 0 [/tex] into the following form of the Jacobi Identity:

[tex]\partial_\lambda F_{\mu \nu} + \partial_\mu F_{\lambda \nu} + \partial_\nu F_{\lambda \mu} = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out what the '*' is supposed to be. My first thought was that it was a typo and is meant to signify a dot product, but the partial derivative is not a vector, so I don't see how this could be the case.

At any rate, this problem seems straightforward but I could use some help getting started.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi kreil! :smile:

(have a curly d: ∂ and a mu and an nu: µν :wink:)

the clue is in the alteration of the position of the indices …

this is ∂µ(*Fµν) :wink:

(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hodge_dual" )

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tim, I figured it was an operator of some sort but my notes/book were not immediately helpful in figuring out what it was.

In a previous problem we used the following form for F,

[tex] F_{\mu \nu} = \partial_\mu A_\nu - \partial_\nu A_\mu[/tex]

I'm having trouble seeing how the dual operator works on this form of F. Assuming a more general form, is the following true?

*[tex]F^{\mu \nu} = \left ( F^\mu e_\mu + F^\nu e_\nu + F^\lambda e_\lambda \right ) e_\mu e_\nu e_\lambda = F_{\nu \lambda} + F_{\mu \lambda} + F_{\mu \nu}[/tex]

Last edited:
hi kreil! :smile:

i've never really grasped the index way of doing it :redface:

i always think of it this way …

i see Fµν as a wedge product Exx∧t + Eyy∧t + Ezz∧t + Bxy∧z + Byz∧x + Bzx∧y

then for "curl" i wedge-multiply by ∂∧ = ∂xx∧ + ∂yy∧ + ∂zz∧ + ∂tt∧,

and use the equivalence x∧y∧z → *t, y∧z∧t → *x, z∧x∧t → *y, x∧y∧t → *z

(the jacobi identity is written in triple-wedges x∧y∧z etc)

i seem to remember there's a fairly good description of this in (surprisingly) Misner Thorne and Wheeler "Gravitation"

Hello, it seems like the equation you are trying to reduce is a form of the Maxwell's equations in electromagnetism. The '*' symbol could possibly represent a cross product, but as you mentioned, the partial derivative is not a vector so it doesn't make sense in this context.

To reduce the equation into the Jacobi identity form, we can start by expanding the partial derivative on the left side of the equation using the product rule:

\partial_\mu {*} F^{\mu \nu} = \partial_\mu (F^{\mu \nu}) + F^{\mu \nu} \partial_\mu

Since the equation is equal to zero, we can set the first term on the right side to zero, leaving us with:

F^{\mu \nu} \partial_\mu = 0

Now, we can use the definition of the Jacobi identity, which states that for any three vectors A, B, and C, the identity can be written as:

A \cdot (B \times C) + B \cdot (C \times A) + C \cdot (A \times B) = 0

In our case, we can replace the vectors A, B, and C with the partial derivatives and the field tensor F, giving us:

\partial_\lambda (F^{\mu \nu}) \cdot (\partial_\mu \times \partial_\nu) + \partial_\mu (F^{\mu \nu}) \cdot (\partial_\nu \times \partial_\lambda) + \partial_\nu (F^{\mu \nu}) \cdot (\partial_\lambda \times \partial_\mu) = 0

Now, we can recognize that the cross product of two partial derivatives is equal to the negative of the cross product of the two derivatives in the opposite order. This allows us to simplify the equation to:

\partial_\lambda (F^{\mu \nu}) \cdot (\partial_\nu \times \partial_\mu) - \partial_\mu (F^{\mu \nu}) \cdot (\partial_\nu \times \partial_\lambda) + \partial_\nu (F^{\mu \nu}) \cdot (\partial_\lambda \times \partial_\mu) = 0

Finally, using the definition of the field tensor, we can write this equation as:

\partial_\lambda F_{\mu \nu} + \partial_\mu F_{

What is the purpose of reducing an equation into Jacobi identity form?

The purpose of reducing an equation into Jacobi identity form is to simplify complex mathematical expressions and make them easier to work with. It also allows for the identification of hidden symmetries and relationships between different variables.

How do you know when an equation is in Jacobi identity form?

An equation is in Jacobi identity form when it satisfies the Jacobi identity, which is a mathematical condition that states that the expression must be equal to zero. This can be checked by substituting in different values for the variables and confirming that the equation still holds true.

What are the steps for reducing an equation into Jacobi identity form?

The steps for reducing an equation into Jacobi identity form typically involve manipulating the expression using algebraic techniques such as factoring, expanding, and rearranging terms. The goal is to simplify the equation until it satisfies the Jacobi identity.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when reducing an equation into Jacobi identity form?

One common mistake is to incorrectly apply algebraic rules, which can lead to a different equation that does not satisfy the Jacobi identity. It is also important to check for any errors in calculations or substitutions. Additionally, it is important to avoid dividing by variables or constants that could be equal to zero.

What are the real-world applications of reducing an equation into Jacobi identity form?

Reducing an equation into Jacobi identity form has many practical applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It can be used to simplify and solve equations in mechanics, quantum mechanics, and classical field theories. It also has applications in computer graphics and machine learning algorithms.